Metal Storm logo
More metal guys than girls?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 04.08.2007 - 20:28
it just came to me right now, why are there more male metal fans than female?

the only logical explanation i can give is that girls are softer and prefer lighter music in general...
05.01.2010 - 08:02
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@All !!!

whats the problem with Fats? Cannibal Corpse and a lot of other FATS? hahaha and why metal chicks are often fats? are they fans of Death Metal oftenly? meaningless just wanted to write something, dont take it serious!
05.01.2010 - 17:55
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.01.2010 at 03:21

Written by Holy Man on 04.01.2010 at 22:24

Not sure why it's true but it is... sad too... because we metal men are destined to either spend eternity with a fat nasty metal girl, settle for a non-metal chick, or be alone forever... fate is cruel...

How is dating a non-metal fan settling? o.O That sounds pretty shallow to me.

Well, and it may sound shallow, but for me, music is what I do, and it's probably one of the most important things to me. And it can cause problems in a relationship just like religion, political affiliation, or other such strains. At least for me... so it's not that I'm trying to be shallow, I just know that it's a point of conflict for me.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
05.01.2010 - 20:58
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Holy Man on 05.01.2010 at 17:55

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.01.2010 at 03:21

Not sure why it's true but it is... sad too... because we metal men are destined to either spend eternity with a fat nasty metal girl, settle for a non-metal chick, or be alone forever... fate is cruel...

How is dating a non-metal fan settling? o.O That sounds pretty shallow to me.

Well, and it may sound shallow, but for me, music is what I do, and it's probably one of the most important things to me. And it can cause problems in a relationship just like religion, political affiliation, or other such strains. At least for me... so it's not that I'm trying to be shallow, I just know that it's a point of conflict for me.

I can somewhat understand where you are coming from, I guess. I take music very seriously too... but I think judging someone based off their tastes of music is a bit extreme and unfair. That's all.
05.01.2010 - 21:01
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
I get that. And I don't know settling was a fair word to use, because i didn't "settle" for my wife by any means. She doesn't care for ALL the music I listen to, but we do have fights about music because her tastes can be radically different than my own and I will defend mine to the death. Hahaha. But yeah, I see what you mean.
----
05.01.2010 - 21:09
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Holy Man on 05.01.2010 at 21:01

I get that. And I don't know settling was a fair word to use, because i didn't "settle" for my wife by any means. She doesn't care for ALL the music I listen to, but we do have fights about music because her tastes can be radically different than my own and I will defend mine to the death. Hahaha. But yeah, I see what you mean.

So are you gonna be on a reality TV show? "Married to a Metalhead".

"Oh honey, I'll go with you to that My Bloody Valentine show."
"I would want you to go, but all you wanna do it mosh... And I wanna SHOEGAZE!" D:
05.01.2010 - 21:16
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.01.2010 at 21:09

"I would want you to go, but all you wanna do it mosh... And I wanna SHOEGAZE!" D:

Hahahaha, that's awesome!!! Wait... is there really a show like that? hahahhaha
----
05.01.2010 - 21:19
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Holy Man on 05.01.2010 at 21:16

The way our country shits out reality TV shows... I wouldn't be surprised.
05.01.2010 - 21:55
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.01.2010 at 21:19

Written by Holy Man on 05.01.2010 at 21:16

The way our country shits out reality TV shows... I wouldn't be surprised.

Hahhaa seriously man. I might consider watching that actually. Hahaha. It'd be a show full of censor bleeps. ahahhaha.
----
11.01.2010 - 11:54
amartrc0mplex
Account deleted
Excuse for coming in late and being lazy and not reading through all 13 pages -

chicks seem to have a broader appreciation (in relation to me. my musical tastes are very narrow) for music. i saw something about opeth and bands with chick vocalists, yeah. it came up once, maybe not in here, that metal's "hard to dance to". obviously, they weren't doing it right... but...

Written by flickaa on 05.01.2010 at 02:45

hahahhaha that was sooo priceless.. well the thing is.... that alot metalheads settle for fat nasty metal girls... so us thin ones dont date you people because you people are always busy with the fat ones sooo there u go!!!!!!!

... LOL. i'm holding out for the thin ones.
11.01.2010 - 12:15
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
More Male Metal Fans then Female? Maybe. But not by that much. I'd be a damn shame.
----
Coldgrits
16.06.2010 - 20:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 04.01.2010 at 22:20

Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2010 at 20:02

i think that is largely to get the girls.

Reminds me of this quote from This Is Spinal Tap:

"As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll."

haha, that quote is priceless. actually, Spinal Tap has some of the best dialogue i've ever heard in movies.

i noticed i never actually posted in this thread apart from the opening post. i guess it's a sad state but in the end we all have to deal with it: guys outnumber girls in the metal department at least 5 to 1.

it does depend on the band playing at a concert, with bands like HIM and The 69 Eyes having at least as many female fans, but in general(and this sadly especially goes for some of my favorite music, traditional genres like classic heavy, nwobhm, 80s thrash and trad doom) all gigs are huge sausagefests where girls get outnumbered at least 10 to 1 and makes it 99.999% impossible to score chicks at gigs/gatherings like that given that most of them aren't even single. on the other hand they have it so easy
16.06.2010 - 20:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 16.06.2010 at 20:52
on the other hand they have it so easy

That is false. At least for me. lol
17.06.2010 - 00:23
Kennoth
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.06.2010 at 20:57

How so?

You gals are like in a mall, all you have to do is make ur pick
----
*insert something deep and profound*
17.06.2010 - 02:26
krystal-moon
Written by Kennoth on 17.06.2010 at 00:23

How so?

Oh come on! Give yourselves some credit Gentlemen! Long gone are the days when a lady could simply point a finger in a crowd of suitors and be married off the next morning! It's probably due to the fact that, other than customs changing, there are many more women than men in most societies, so we have a harder time getting a man and keeping him...

Anyhow, back to the discussion:
I've noticed girls get caught up in fads a lot more than men do. If a girl is not "in fashion" it gets noticed a lot more, so there tends to be a lot more pressure there.
Heavy Metal is looked badly upon by most people...a lot of what I call "normaloids" imagine us to be a bunch of violent, drunk, drooling zombies without half a brain to exchange for a penny. Can you imagine your average girl, who has the looks to join the "in crowd" suddenly deciding to join the drooling mob? I don't think so. On the other hand, girls with a physique that doesn't reflect the ideal criteria for beauty could decide to tell the whole social system to go fry itself and try be their own person, and this could sometimes lead to trying out, and ultimately liking alternative genres of music, like Heavy Metal.
I for one, like my sister, was excluded from the popular crowd at school (I'll never stop thanking the forces of good for that) because we are not your typical size zero CK models (I'm no whale, but I like my curves, thank you very much) and have an unfashionable nationality, so we both ended up liking alternative genres of music, and really just using our own head to decide what is ok and what isn't.

I hope this answers a few questions. And please, Sirs, when it comes to the ladies, try and be more delicate...would you like a bony cushion or teddy bear? Then, please do tell, what is wrong with a soft lady?

NB I'm by NO MEANS stating that good looking, or skinny girls, or whatever, are total airheads, incapable of having an opinion, or being independent of a crowd. I'm only saying that women are more pressurised into fitting a set of standards than men, and that more often than not people tend to try and not feel left out, seem strange, or antisocial.
----
Take my last breath as I fall into Eternity
17.06.2010 - 02:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by krystal-moon on 17.06.2010 at 02:26

Oh come on! Give yourselves some credit Gentlemen! Long gone are the days when a lady could simply point a finger in a crowd of suitors and be married off the next morning! It's probably due to the fact that, other than customs changing, there are many more women than men in most societies, so we have a harder time getting a man and keeping him...

I've noticed girls get caught up in fads a lot more than men do. If a girl is not "in fashion" it gets noticed a lot more, so there tends to be a lot more pressure there.
Heavy Metal is looked badly upon by most people...a lot of what I call "normaloids" imagine us to be a bunch of violent, drunk, drooling zombies without half a brain to exchange for a penny. Can you imagine your average girl, who has the looks to join the "in crowd" suddenly deciding to join the drooling mob? I don't think so. On the other hand, girls with a physique that doesn't reflect the ideal criteria for beauty could decide to tell the whole social system to go fry itself and try be their own person, and this could sometimes lead to trying out, and ultimately liking alternative genres of music, like Heavy Metal.
I for one, like my sister, was excluded from the popular crowd at school (I'll never stop thanking the forces of good for that) because we are not your typical size zero CK models (I'm no whale, but I like my curves, thank you very much) and have an unfashionable nationality, so we both ended up liking alternative genres of music, and really just using our own head to decide what is ok and what isn't.

I hope this answers a few questions. And please, Sirs, when it comes to the ladies, try and be more delicate...would you like a bony cushion or teddy bear? Then, please do tell, what is wrong with a soft lady?

NB I'm by NO MEANS stating that good looking, or skinny girls, or whatever, are total airheads, incapable of having an opinion, or being independent of a crowd. I'm only saying that women are more pressurised into fitting a set of standards than men, and that more often than not people tend to try and not feel left out, seem strange, or antisocial.

Good point, but like Gimmy D from Pagans MC sad there 99% ers and 1%ers (not only in biker world, but in whole other world) , I choose be outlaw, belong to 1%, when you walk in steers unshaved, whit boots, long hair, denim n letter people will look at you no metter what, same to girl and that popular think is only in school, for week, I never have been popular, I didnt care , better outlaw and die for belifs, not some hair cut to get some ''top'' girl in school for some weeks
I dont know wy here stats, skin heads, punks, emo's football ultras and bigger morrons how metalheads and do more problems, even whit all evidanmce people cant accept many thinks like we are normal people , but I dont care and never have ...but more I live more I see ordinary people listen metal, whit suits, comon clothing , popular hair cut... or thay simply lsiten?

but one think for girls is easyer, to have long hair, shame many girls ruin pribilige and do hair cuts when start working
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.06.2010 - 02:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Haha, it really isnt that simple! lol

I have had about 3 guys come up to me at gigs, but we usually just have some friendly chat about music, and thats it.

@krystal-moon: I dont really agree that girls are more likely to follow fads than guys are. Even in the metal scene, there are many who follow the herd, and would rather compromise themselves to 'look cool', than be totally true to themselves. Metalheads are just as prone to the 'group think' mentality as other groups of people. I think men try equally, if not even more so to please their peers than women do. I've always stayed true to myself, and Ive never had anyone to impress anyways, so I havent felt that pressure that many feel to try and 'fit in'. I never fitted in, and I couldnt have, even if Id wanted to. I just always did my own thing. And came to metal very naturally.
17.06.2010 - 02:59
Kennoth
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.06.2010 at 02:57

I have had about 3 guys come up to me at gigs, but we usually just have some friendly chat about music, and thats it.

Well, did you want anything more or not?
----
17.06.2010 - 03:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Kennoth on 17.06.2010 at 02:59

Haha!

I dunno, it's not like I knew them or anything. There is one guy who if he'd asked to see me again, Id have been very happy to... hehe
17.06.2010 - 03:02
Kennoth

How so?

Well...yeah those ancient times are a past now. But look at it this way; in the animal world, it's always the male that tries to impress the female, and builds a nest for potential youth

Sounds familiar? That's because it's a fact that we're animals. Thinking, talking animals, but still animals deep inside, and women will always be those who pick, not the other way around. Just my two cents in it. And as for topic itself; pretty much everything was said about it. Hell, just look at the member's page to the left, any given time of the day, you'll find 2,3 girls in that sausage fest at the most.
----
17.06.2010 - 03:06
Kennoth
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.06.2010 at 03:02

Written by Kennoth on 17.06.2010 at 02:59

Haha!

I dunno, it's not like I knew them or anything. There is one guy who if he'd asked to see me again, Id have been very happy too... hehe

If only I had a mind reader for women, my life would be so much easier
----
17.06.2010 - 07:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast

what do you mean by unfashionable nationality? if people looked down on you just for coming from a certain place then that's more than enough reason to stay away from them.

i hate to repost this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiyg87UhL4 i can attest to the veracity of that video, and i welcome any other guy/girl here to do that too
17.06.2010 - 11:32
Saitenhexerin
Written by Holy Man on 05.01.2010 at 17:55

do you want to marry me? ))
haha jk, but I see it the same way!

yeah as i invest most of my spare time in metal/music that surely would be a huge thing that could piss off your partner easily.
so rather try and find one who shares your interests...

and: not all metal chicks are fat! =O
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
17.06.2010 - 15:05
krystal-moon

@krystal-moon: I dont really agree that girls are more likely to follow fads than guys are. Even in the metal scene, there are many who follow the herd, and would rather compromise themselves to 'look cool', than be totally true to themselves. Metalheads are just as prone to the 'group think' mentality as other groups of people. I think men try equally, if not even more so to please their peers than women do. I've always stayed true to myself, and Ive never had anyone to impress anyways, so I havent felt that pressure that many feel to try and 'fit in'. I never fitted in, and I couldnt have, even if Id wanted to. I just always did my own thing. And came to metal very naturally.

Good for you! It's great that you've always chosen honesty over comfort, something I'm sure not many people are capable doing.

I see what you mean, and how my post might have made you think I meant that. Let me clear this up: I believe we are all pressurised into fitting a criteria so that we may be part a social system. All I'm saying is that I've noticed women are given a tighter standard to measure themselves by. Cosmetics, fashion designers, etc; they are all mostly aimed at women...see where I'm going with this?
Sure, men also have a set of "rules" to play by if they want to belong, but I think they are slightly less rigid than the ones put out there for women to follow.
All I'm saying is that I believe image, meant as physical beauty, is a much larger issue for women in our society.

As for trends in the "Heavy Metal world" I agree; fads can become a reality in any social group, so it happens there as well.

Written by Kennoth on 17.06.2010 at 03:02

And as for topic itself; pretty much everything was said about it. Hell, just look at the member's page to the left, any given time of the day, you'll find 2,3 girls in that sausage fest at the most.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that...are you suggesting the entire discussion is pointless, or merely my commenting on it?

Written by Valentin B on 17.06.2010 at 07:57

what do you mean by unfashionable nationality? if people looked down on you just for coming from a certain place then that's more than enough reason to stay away from them.

And that is precisely what I did. Only trouble is, this is true practically everywhere in Italy, so you can't really get rid of it. So much so that if I hadn't found a job through my boyfriend, I'd have had to change my name to be able to successfully apply for a job. The fact that I've lived in this sorry place for as long as I can remember (when I came her I was only ten days "old") means absolutely nothing to anybody. The only thing that matters is the name on my documents....
----
Take my last breath as I fall into Eternity
17.06.2010 - 15:19
Kennoth
Written by krystal-moon on 17.06.2010 at 15:05

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that...are you suggesting the entire discussion is pointless, or merely my commenting on it?

I'm only saying that everything that there is to say on the topic has already been said. But since I never stated my own opinion about it, I'll do it now: I guess it depends on the fact that metal is an aggressive music genre. While the number of women in metal is constantly increasing, there will always be at least 4:1 ratio against them. Why? Like you, and many others have said, metal music isn't exactly the thing our mothers and fathers want from us. And while I don't have a sister, I can understand that the social pressure can be a little bigger for women growing up than men. Second of all, the fact remains that men are more aggressive in nature than women. And my guess would be that they try to fuel their rage, or calm it by listening to a similarly aggressive and abrasive music.
----
17.06.2010 - 15:57
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
Girls try to do something meaningful with their lives...
17.06.2010 - 19:27
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I think it's quite interesting that everyone thinks that there are not enough girls in metal. I can only say how it is here in Innsbruck, but we have easily enough woman that like metal here, I would say at least 30% of the metallers here a female and that's not too bad I guess
17.06.2010 - 19:59
Edmund Fogg
I think that womens are not dedicated to only one genre of music.Most of my girl friends do like Metal but likes many other genres like Reggae Pop rock etc...Thats what I love about my partner,she goes to shows and gathering with me and has a real music curiosity but she will never limit herself to only Metal.In tahat sense I think that guys are more narrow-minded when it comes to music,me included
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
17.06.2010 - 22:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Diabolos on 17.06.2010 at 19:27

I think it's quite interesting that everyone thinks that there are not enough girls in metal. I can only say how it is here in Innsbruck, but we have easily enough woman that like metal here, I would say at least 30% of the metallers here a female and that's not too bad I guess

Its not to bad, in city's there be more metalheads generaly how in country
----

apos;'
[image]
17.06.2010 - 23:20
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Bad English on 17.06.2010 at 22:15

I agree (wow, that's rare).
In my town (22k people) I know only a few metalheads and none of them happens to be a female...
17.06.2010 - 23:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 17.06.2010 at 23:20

Written by Bad English on 17.06.2010 at 22:15

I agree (wow, that's rare).
In my town (22k people) I know only a few metalheads and none of them happens to be a female...

In Aizkraukle was hmm 10 + posers maybe now 1-3 what I have seen, so non female
----

apos;'
[image]