Metal Storm logo
More metal guys than girls?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 04.08.2007 - 20:28
it just came to me right now, why are there more male metal fans than female?

the only logical explanation i can give is that girls are softer and prefer lighter music in general...
19.09.2010 - 13:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I want to see descriptions of all of those.
19.09.2010 - 13:33
vezzy
Stallmanite
That list is humongous...

Epic comeback.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
19.09.2010 - 13:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 19.09.2010 at 13:29

You want me off-line for a long time, right?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.09.2010 - 13:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 19.09.2010 at 13:33

That list is humongous...

Epic comeback.

And that's just originals. Not a single mp3 there. If I were to list those as well... well... yopuo can imagine.

Btw, I have friends who have doom collections of originals which are at least 6 times bigger.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.09.2010 - 13:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.09.2010 at 13:34

Written by Guest on 19.09.2010 at 13:29

You want me off-line for a long time, right?

Yes I have plans within plans that I must exact and I can't have you meddling in them!
19.09.2010 - 13:49
vezzy
Stallmanite
Hey Joe, I think you've discovered that "colossal meathead" specimen you've been looking for a while now.

Or are there worse? Eh, move on, then.
----
19.09.2010 - 14:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 19.09.2010 at 13:49

Hey Joe, I think you've discovered that "colossal meathead" specimen you've been looking for a while now.

Or are there worse? Eh, move on, then.

You mean ezz_zombie, non? A definite candidate. General dispersions across genres which nothing is known about is instant dismissal in my eyes.
19.09.2010 - 19:34
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
@ Marcel: thanks for the lovely words ... i dont see why you'd be offended, its fine to be a doom fan and still listen to other metal seubgrenres (like you do) what i'm talkign about is people who listen to soley doom and think they're metalheads ... but anyways to answer your question, here are some of the bands you listed that i've listened to:
Black Sabbath, Anathema, My dying bride, Doom vs., Katatonia, Krux, paradise lost (who are gothic metal not doom btw), queens of the stone age (kind of stoner metal, post-grunge like.. not doom), saturnus, and Uaral.
although i did NOT mean to over-generalize and simplify the whole doom genre .. but still the bands that i've listened to somehow fit that "general description" i mentioned previously. i admit i am ignorant abotu the doom genre but that is because i gave it a shot, and i didnt like what i heard, i couldnt even pas it off as metal to begin with, so, that is why i dont know about 80% of what you listed.
still, the generelization i made matches vageuly the guidlines to typical doom metal ...

@ vezzy: grow up please, i dont know what the hell's your problem with me.
@ Joe: try not to get dragged into vezzy's retarded argument, just coz i have different opinion than you does not make me a meathead .. you're british for fuck's sake, the world's first democracy .. please have more courtesy than to bash someone with a contradicting opinion, thanks.

so, back to the topic' which was about more "metal guys than girls" ... i mentioned by 'hatred' for the doom genre and its affiliation to chicks as to show that doom is such a weak genre that it attracts alot fo chicks (does nto mean that guys who listen to doom are weak) but doom is one of the easiest genres to get a chick to listen to metal... and most of metal 'guys' listening to doom listen to other genres as well, black, death, and more.. while MOST metal chicks who are into doom are into it exclusively. it's somethign i've noticed and maybe some of you too have noticed it.
anyways, difference in opinion isn't a crime.. i dislike doom.. sue me ! (but in a more polite manner please.)
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
19.09.2010 - 19:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
Anathema, My Dying Bride are more renowned and generally more accessible acts. Black Sabbath isn't weak at all, it's simply good music (well, up to a certain period anyway). Since you've only listened to the more accessible stuff and then gave up, you are in no position to judge the genre.

I'd say you do kind of fall in the meathead category. Metal is apparently some fast and rebellious genre that is not allowed to sing about anything besides gore, politics and darkness according to you. Not to mention darkness is a rather open theme. Also lol@world's first democracy. Like that has to do anything with this.

I have yet to notice people who listen exclusively to doom.
----
19.09.2010 - 19:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Paradise Lost were once doom, like Katatonia who are no longer so.

There's a place for democracy and there's a place for spotting someone with wildly random ideas that goes against what are pretty much established facts. You suggested that doom isn't metal because it's not fast, aggressive, has emotive lyrics etc. which has been established beyond any doubt to be nonsense. The Black Sabbath argument proves that fact as your descriptions of what metal should be don't apply, for the most part, to Black Sabbath, the original, archetypal metal band. You can't blame people for getting uptight when you bring stuff like this into question.

Red = Green. Discuss.
19.09.2010 - 19:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 19.09.2010 at 19:34
So, back to the topic' which was about more "metal guys than girls" ... i mentioned by 'hatred' for the doom genre and its affiliation to chicks as to show that doom is such a weak genre that it attracts alot fo chicks (does nto mean that guys who listen to doom are weak) but doom is one of the easiest genres to get a chick to listen to metal... and most of metal 'guys' listening to doom listen to other genres as well, black, death, and more.. while MOST metal chicks who are into doom are into it exclusively. it's somethign i've noticed and maybe some of you too have noticed it.
anyways, difference in opinion isn't a crime.. i dislike doom.. sue me ! (but in a more polite manner please.)

What? Doom is a genre that attracts a lot of chicks? :| I think out of all the metal sub-genres, that has to be one of the ones that girls are least attracted to. lol I've yet to meet a single female metalhead who likes doom metal. Okay, I dont know many other female metalheads, but none of the ones I do speak to, like doom metal. The only people I can chat about doom to, is guys.
19.09.2010 - 19:49
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I never said i disliked Sabbath, i only mentioned them coz marcel asked about what doom bands that i have listened to.. and sabbath aren't that much 'doom' anyways, they dont fit the doom 'stereotype' anyways, they invented metal.. and i like'em.

@ Angelic storm: well, in Egypt its the opposite, doom is almost a chick-dominated genre (and btw, i DID mention in the first post that this is in EGYPT .. i never claimed its a worldwide thing .. although i probably thought its the same everywhere.. but still.. technically i said "in Egypt" ) lol
----

19.09.2010 - 19:54
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'm pretty sure the general characteristics of red are totally opposite to those of green. Red is for real colorists who base their work from the Renaissance era and green is for poseur colorists who base their works off "modern art" or all sorts of kitsch, expressionism and low culture in general.

*ahem* Seriously though, I never knew girls were generally into doom. Usually it's symphonic, Gothenburg and power, the masses at least. Yeah, I guess Anathema can be included due to being you know, more renowned and accessible.
----
19.09.2010 - 19:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Btw not many girls are attracted to doom. Because doom is way too dark I guess. The only stuff they are attracted is modern My Dying Bride, modern Paradise Lost, modern Anathema, that pretty boy marketing trick Swallow The Sun.
Ezz, you clearly have no idea whatsoever about the doom scene at all.
most doom is much truer to heavy metal than brutal death metal and grindcore.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.09.2010 - 19:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 19.09.2010 at 19:49
@ Angelic storm: well, in Egypt its the opposite, doom is almost a chick-dominated genre (and btw, i DID mention in the first post that this is in EGYPT .. i never claimed its a worldwide thing .. although i probably thought its the same everywhere.. but still.. technically i said "in Egypt" ) lol

Well, I cant comment on Egypt obviously... But yeah, sometimes it feels like Im the only woman on the planet who likes doom. I know that is of course, not true, but Ive yet to chat to another female metalhead who likes it. Even on metal boards, when I go into threads about doom, its only ever guys posting in it.
19.09.2010 - 19:59
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.09.2010 at 19:54

Btw not many girls are attracted to doom. Because doom is way too dark I guess. The only stuff they are attracted is modern My Dying Bride, modern Paradise Lost, modern Anathema, that pretty boy marketing trick Swallow The Sun.
Ezz, you clearly have no idea whatsoever about the doom scene at all.
most doom is much truer to heavy metal than brutal death metal and grindcore.

True, most chicks i know of listen to modern my dying bride, modern paradise lost, modern anathema, and swallow the sun. so, basically THAT is the doom i know of.. and that is the doom i hate.
so, after establishign the fact that i'm unaware of 'true doom" .. any reccomendations to good, dark doom that would get me to like it ? ..
btw, i liked "krux" album "krux" .. if there's more doom like that then i'd like to know about.
----

19.09.2010 - 20:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
I think I'm dying of laughter.

You can't go wrong with Cirith Ungol or Trouble though.
----
19.09.2010 - 20:05
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by vezzy on 19.09.2010 at 20:01

I think I'm dying of laughter.

You can't go wrong with Cirith Ungol or Trouble though.

Thanks, but i'd rather have a grown-up opinion. so, marcel, angelic storm, any recommendations?
----

19.09.2010 - 20:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Old Paradise Lost is great! xD I dont know much about their material post - "Draconian Times" because I havent really listened to it. Though I do know its way more accessible than their first 5 albums. Same kinda thing with Anathema, I only know their first two albums. But I know they no longer play doom metal. Now thats not to say necessarily that I wouldnt like modern Anathema/Paradise Lost, but I can see why most girls would like those albums more than the early stuff.

@Ezz_Zombie: Cathedral, St. Vitus, Trouble, old Anathema... thats all classic doom right there!
19.09.2010 - 20:10
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Zombie on 19.09.2010 at 20:05
Thanks, but i'd rather have a grown-up opinion. so, marcel, angelic storm, any recommendations?

If I omitted my occupation, would it count?
----
19.09.2010 - 20:10
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I'll give'em a try. thanks angelic storm
----

19.09.2010 - 20:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Looks like ezz_zombie gained enough experience points to evolve into a Zombie :O
19.09.2010 - 20:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 19.09.2010 at 20:10

I'll give'em a try. thanks angelic storm

No probs!

A word about Cathedral, the first album is very slow and depressive, so you may not like that one. lol Their albums after that tend to have a very strong Sabbath influence. Although isolated songs still feature slow, crushing riffs. "Endtyme" sorta mixes the Cathedral of the first album, with the sound of the later albums. And is one of my faves by them. xD

As for St. Vitus, I prefer the albums with Wino on vocals, especially "V". Although their other stuff is good too.
19.09.2010 - 20:17
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 19.09.2010 at 20:15

Looks like ezz_zombie gained enough experience points to evolve into a Zombie :O

Most pathetic name change ever.

I'm proud. *sniff*
----
19.09.2010 - 20:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious
It is not. Everonn's name change to "fuckyuall" is easily the worst and most stupid name change ever.
19.09.2010 - 20:22
vezzy
Stallmanite
That was a troll though. Ezz's-...

Wait a second, maybe this was trolling all along?
----
19.09.2010 - 20:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'll probably get him confused with Zombie M.D. which I guess is the next step up. The next step up from that being Zombie Ph.D
19.09.2010 - 20:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@ezz there is a doom recommendation thread somewhere. Loads of good tips there. As for Paradise Lost DON'T go for anything after Draconian Times.
i'll see if I can make a shorter list of the one I posted here for you. Might have time for it tomorrow.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.09.2010 - 20:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@vezzy Cirith Ungol though influential on some doom bands isn't really doom. Only has some touches of in their music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.09.2010 - 20:36
vezzy
Stallmanite
I kind of thought of them as proto-doom, so technically it's deeply rooted in traditional metal.
----