01. I
02. II
03. III
04. IV
05. V
06. VI
07. VII
08. VIII

Blut Aus Nord's Vindsval created the Yerû?elem project to channel the industrial side of Blut Aus Nord. Now he created Forhist to channel the atmospheric black metal side.

Blut Aus Nord have been one of the most prolific and versatile of black metal bands. Starting out as an atmospheric black metal band, and then steadily injecting industrial and avantgarde tendencies into said black metal, with bits of post-metal and dark ambient as well. Each album had its different quantity of these ingredients, often grouped alongside trilogies, like the melodic Memoria Vetusta ones or the post-y deconstructionalist 777 or the hypnotic What Once Was... Liber. 2019 seemed like a bit of a watershed moment for the band. Not the first one, but a pretty major one nonetheless. Because Vindsval hadn't created a new project outside of Blut Aus Nord since the 90s (the one song Karras doesn't count). Blut Aus Nord was to move on from the industrial black metal sound, whereas the newly formed Yerû?elem would tackle purely industrial metal. So now that Forhist comes along to tackle atmospheric black metal, what does it mean for Blut Aus Nord?

Well, from what I can tell, Forhist is quite a love letter to the "roots" in Norwegian Black Metal, meaning that it is quite close to the already atmospheric black metal sound of early Blut Aus Nord and the subsequent Memoria Vetusa albums, but much less concerned about any sort of quirkiness, progressiveness or experimentation. Just no frills atmospheric black metal. Cold, unforgiving, dense, dark, primitive. You know the deal. Though like The Sublime before it, it is a Blut Aus Nord album in all but name, you can quite get why these had to be released under different monikers, this one more so because it's just Vindsval with no other Blut Aus Nord members.

Forhist's debut thrives on a wall of sound of dense guitar tremolo-pinking riffs, splattered with melodic synths and leads, harsh shrieks from the coldest frostbitten mountain in the Alps, pummeling blast beats and just generally a sense that you're lost on a trek in a snowstorm. Though it's all clearly more straightforward than anything done under the Blut Aus Nord name, even if it dances quite close to what was already done under that name. Forhist doesn't really do anything more than continue the line of creating compelling atmosphere that feel both harsh and melodic. With the vocals being pushed back pretty hard in the mix, to the point where there are moments where you wonder whether those are keys or clean vocals, most of the emphasis is placed on the guitar melodies, which Vindsval seems to be in no shortage of.

I don't want to linger to long on whether this should've just been a Blut Aus Nord album, since I realize I might've found it a bit disappointing, but I can't help but be even more curious for what's in line in terms of the next Blut Aus Nord album. If the experimental side had to be pushed away for Forhist, that must only mean it must be brought back even stronger for Blut Aus Nord.

Written on 10.03.2021 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 67 users
12.03.2021 - 23:05
Desha
delicious dish
I tried listening to this a few times now but I just find it so uninteresting, much more so than the MV albums. It's weird to me that people want to copy early black metal so much and then have none of the charme or unique feel of it.
That said BaN have nothing left to prove so if Vindsval wants to make albums like this, more power to him. I just think I won't expect anything great from him anymore.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
13.03.2021 - 01:55
nikarg
staff
Although I did like Hallucinogen quite a bit, I found this one and the Yerû?elem album pretty underwhelming. The first track was good to listen to but then I found myself losing interest as the album went on.
13.03.2021 - 18:14
IBlackened
Written by nikarg on 13.03.2021 at 01:55

Although I did like Hallucinogen quite a bit, I found this one and the Yerû�elem album pretty underwhelming. The first track was good to listen to but then I found myself losing interest as the album went on.

My feelings exactly. The first track is great, but the rest is too samey.
----
Their old stuff is better.
13.03.2021 - 20:21
UnknownCheese
Was okay. Vindsval has been spinning his wheels for awhile now. He announced Memoria Vestusta IV a few days ago, but I'm expecting more ho hum BM.
14.03.2021 - 01:12
no one
Yeah have to agree with the comments above, I was psyched after hearing the first released tracks, but when I listened to the full album it lost all it's charisma after those songs.
----
Unable to connect to the database
18.03.2021 - 03:24
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
I really enjoyed this. It is no MV, or even Hallucinogen, but I appreciate Vindsval's take on the second wave, even if it is obvious, for me at least, that he has far outpaced those he is paying homage to.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.

Hits total: 1638 | This month: 3