Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica - Part Ways With Guitarist, Announce Replacement

Finnish Power Metallers Sonata Arctica have issued the following update:

"As many already know, our guitarist Jani Liimatainen has been absent from the line-up this spring and summer. The reason was his messing around with his compulsory military/civil/prison duty, or rather, complete failure to take care of it.

This matter, and everything that goes with it, caused a split between Jani and the other band members. This split was impossible to mend without Jani's help and co-operation.

Therefore we would like to make known the following: During fall of '06 and spring of '07, Jani's personal matters and actions drove us to a situation where we had no option but to ask Jani to leave the band.

Jani was notified of this in May, and the separation was amicable. We wanted to give Jani the chance to get his life together before making this public, which is why we didn't make this announcement earlier. We wish Jani well on his chosen path.

"Show must go on", so, facing the facts, we hereby humbly announce that Elias Viljanen is from this day forward a full and official member of Sonata Arctica.Throughout this summer, on many occasions, Elias has shown himself to be able to fill the big boots Jani left behind.

We hope our friends and our fans understand that this was the only choice left for us to make so that our band could continue. Sonata Arctica has always been, and always will be, more than the sum of its parts. The band has become for us a way of life, a lifeline that simply can not be cut off.

A long "Unia" -tour lies in front of us. We extend Elias a warm welcome to the Sonata family, and we hope the fans will, too. Sonata Arctica is whole again."

Source: sonataarctica.info
Band profile: Sonata Arctica
Posted: 06.08.2007 by Thryce

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 49   Visited by: 39 users
07.08.2007 - 15:24
flamesoficarus

Jesus : /
Jani was always my favourite member, but alas no more.
07.08.2007 - 18:16
Stratowarrior

can't believe it!! it is true that tony writes all the songs off Sonata but the one i liked the best was jani. great guitar player. and some may say that elias is better but i think they are different guitar players but after tony, jani was the most loved band member in Sonata Arctica... hopefully it will be a better future for both jani and SA. sad but true!!! CHEERS.
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
07.08.2007 - 20:15
PrettyMao

This is really tragic...

I think the last time I felt this sad about a member leaving a band was when Ginger Spice left the Spice Girls. Now that truly sucked! Although, her solo stuff was pretty good. Plus they are having a reunion tour now, I hope to go!
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
07.08.2007 - 22:53
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by PrettyMao on 07.08.2007 at 20:15

This is really tragic...

I think the last time I felt this sad about a member leaving a band was when Ginger Spice left the Spice Girls. Now that truly sucked! Although, her solo stuff was pretty good. Plus they are having a reunion tour now, I hope to go!

Please stop! Spice Girls!? You're making me sick!
08.08.2007 - 00:51
PrettyMao

Written by =maD.Doc:. on 07.08.2007 at 22:53

This is really tragic...

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were an N'sync fan.
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
08.08.2007 - 02:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by PrettyMao on 08.08.2007 at 00:51

This is really tragic...

Gotta love the reaction of some metalheads when you start talking about pop music..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.08.2007 - 03:21
Melodeath Master

This is really tragic...

You're the one who has N'Sync in the favourite band list here
08.08.2007 - 03:29
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
This sucks, but I hope Jani goes solo or starts his own band that'll be some insane shit. I'm glad I got to see them live.
08.08.2007 - 04:57
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Written by Guest on 08.08.2007 at 03:48

As I said it would be, this is the beginning of the end for them. As much as I hate what they play now, he was a fukking sick guitarist and will be missed by many.

Yeah he will be missed and Unia fucking sucks, but you should listen to some of Elia's music it's pretty fucking good "his Metal pieces anyway"
08.08.2007 - 16:36
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
well the band's latest album was under par, so maybe this will give Jani a chance to do some really cool project where he can let his skills shine.
08.08.2007 - 18:19
PrettyMao

Written by =maD.Doc:. on 08.08.2007 at 03:21

Yes, it is true. I enjoy their catchy pop beats and first-class choreography. JC was my favourite member, who is yours?
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
08.08.2007 - 19:56
Melodeath Master
Written by PrettyMao on 08.08.2007 at 18:19

Written by =maD.Doc:. on 08.08.2007 at 03:21

Yes, it is true. I enjoy their catchy pop beats and first-class choreography. JC was my favourite member, who is yours?

As you may already understand I hate shit like that. Music with no feeling at all. Hate that fucking shit.
08.08.2007 - 20:21
Carrion
Account deleted
I see some people like to talk about teen-pop, but the subject is quite far from Sonata Arctica. (Well, at least when you don't count songs like Broken or Don't Say A Word, which some may like, but I don't)

Anywho, too bad, since Mr. Liimatainen seemed always the most sympatic one of the band, and he is a good guitar player.
09.08.2007 - 03:20
Gilardina

mmm, that really sucks!!! SA wont be the same anymore, Jani was the soul of the band, and i hope the replacement elias, brings some fresh ideas to make some new good albums(not like "unia" i just dont like it). Anyway, Jani's leaving is a shame, lets wait to his solo album... hopefully...
----
and remember, as much as it seems to be real, is all in your mind...
09.08.2007 - 23:21
~Nagash~
Account deleted
That sucks, Jani was the best...
10.08.2007 - 17:06
FeskarN

So Sad...
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
11.08.2007 - 04:14
Daru Jericho

Heard about this a while ago. Poor Poor Jani. Watch Sonata struggle without him, although I've never heard the new dude. Sad Mr. Liimatainen had to leave a few months before I get to see Sonata live for the first time.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

11.08.2007 - 04:23
Prowler84

so sad to hear..Sonata will never be the same again.The "progressive" touch of the band is now gone
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
12.08.2007 - 01:21
soyrock

I feel so fucking sad!!! I will not listen to SA like I used to... Sonata is more than each of its members but Jani was the most important one. As far as I know elias is great, but different to Jani...

Fucking sad!!!!

Hits total: 4159 | This month: 9