Band: Maestitium
Album: Tale Of The Endless
Style: Melodic death metal
Release date: February 2021

01. The Undying Travail
02. Morning Star
03. Song Of The Freezing Wind
04. Tale Of The Endless

Have you heard about Lycksele? No, but you know Black Lion Records!

Swedish metal doesn't need any special introduction because many bands from there get recognition much faster than bands from other countries do. New bands are formed all the time and it is hard to follow them all, but when a special one comes, you have a feeling, you see it. This is the case with Maestitium, the one-man band in which Elias Westrin takes care of guitars, vocals, synths, and orchestrations with the help of two studio members, drummer Nils Fjellström and bassist Anton Flodin. Together they created the 4-song EP, Tale Of The Endless.

Imagine Jon Nödtveidt from Dissection resurrecting from the grave and and going to Finland to play with Insomnium. Or Kalmah re-recording their latest offering Palo and giving it a softer edge. If you can imagine all that, then this EP is for you. It has a good melodic death metal sound, some acoustic guitar passages, the vocals are a mix between calm ones and growls, somewhere in the middle. And now, try to imagine Bathory re-recording ''One Road To Asa Bay'' in melodic death metal vibe, can you? Check it out, there are still new cool things in an old genre.

I have never heard Elias Westrin's name before, he just arrived in the metal world like many new bands do, and from nothing with just one EP he got a deal with Swedish label Black Lion Records. How he managed that, I don't know, but from what I hear in this EP the label shouldn't worry. This band has done a good job with songwriting, composition, studio work, I cannot complain about anything here. The only mystery to me is how a so far unknown figure in metal world got Nils Fjellström to participate, since his name doesn't need introduction. To me, Sundsvall is north and I will follow this band in the future because it is promising. Both studio musicians did their jobs well as hired guns, the bass and the drums were played perfectly. Thanks to technology you can do it from the other side of the world. Since it counts as a one-man band, Elias Westrin did compose music, record guitars, drums, and bass perfectly blending together in this Nordic metal chaos. If the band manages to put out a debut full-length this year, it will win a debut award.

Snow falling on the barren soil in Sundsvall.

Written by Bad English | 26.03.2021

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
yoless2
Rating:
Inspired by the melodic death metal classics such as Insomnium and Wintersun, this emotional EP, Tale Of The Endless, drives us through an eternally icy voyage. The compositions don't rush into building heaviness; instead, it magically enjoys the ride through Elias Westrin's feelings, a mix between sadness and hope. Oh, and it's also important to mention this is mainly the work of Elias, with the help of some session musicians.

Read more ››
published 03.05.2021 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 37 users
26.03.2021 - 07:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Thanks Nik
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.03.2021 - 18:47
Rating: 7
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Yeah, that's a pretty solid effort.

Thanks for mentioning the label, I'm a Black Lion Records subscriber but I didn't even notice that I had this EP in my Bandcamp collection.
Having listened to it for the first time now thanks to your review, I can confirm that Insomnium was definitely the most obvious source of inspiration; fans of the Finns' mid-era are predestined to love this.

Yet I don't get the Dissection reference. Not a single drop of Jon Nödtveidt's blood is running through Maestitium's veins if you ask me.

Quote:
Jon Nordqvist from Dissection

So he posthumously married and adopted his partner's surname? Amazing!
----
signatures = SPAM

Hits total: 790 | This month: 2