03. Lost In A Moment
04. Ominous One
05. Ominous Too
06. One Without Dreams
07. The End Of This World
08. Cosmic Sailor
09. In Gloom [bonus]

The only constant is change.

There are plenty of musicians out there but not that many artists. Daniel Brennare is an artist. Every Lake Of Tears album is different and every expectation from the listener is defied by the artist himself. As a result, each album has its own unique personality, while always possessing the distinctive sound of the band. Ominous is no exception.

Ominous was made to reflect Daniel Brennare's feelings on his physical illness (he was diagnosed with leukaemia shortly before Illwill) as well as to describe the emotional turmoil triggered by that diagnosis and the battle against it. These two monsters - the one that attacks the body and its 'brother' that messes with the mind - are depicted in the stunning cover artwork by Vladimir Chebakov. Standing before the two monsters, small and alone, is the cosmonaut, the hero of the metaphorical story that this album narrates. The lyrics are written almost exclusively in the first person and, with a basis like this, you can guess that Ominous acts as a therapeutic outlet for its creator. It can also take the same role for the attentive listener, especially if they have been through some similar experience themselves.

The album is very atmospheric and as far from a collection of hit songs as it can be. There is very little of that verse-chorus-verse-chorus motif, which makes it hard to digest at first. Its tone is really dark and it blends various styles, with the main elements being goth rock, doom, and post-rock. The spirit of David Bowie is also quite strong as is the Pink Floyd influence. Most of the record flows in a slow and brooding way, sometimes heavy, sometimes lighter, with "At The Destination" and "Ominous One" being the sole uptempo tracks. Its overarching characteristic is that it is very cinematic and the songs bleed into each other in a way that the album is best experienced as a whole rather than as the sum of its parts. "In Gloom" is the only song that is not part of the story and is featured as a bonus track because it was too good to be left out. It is a gripping track with melancholic strings, a moody stand up bass, and a Leonard Cohen vibe due to the particular singing of Daniel.

The production of Ominous is excellent, everything is heard crystal clear, every instrument, every sample, every sound has its own place, and the album has a lot of air to breathe despite its 'suffocating' subject matter. It took Lake Of Tears ten long years to release it but it is magnificent in every aspect. I don't mind waiting another ten years if its successor is as good as this, but I wish for Daniel to never find himself again in the cold, dark place that inspired Ominous.

According to the artist, this is how Ominous should be experienced. With different artwork for each song, without breaks, and without "In Gloom".

Also available on: Physical | Apple Music | Deezer | Spotify | YouTube Music

"Where are you now when I need you the most?
I need but a word in this night so close
I no longer remember the sound of your voice
How could you let me come here alone?
Leave me to wander this world of stone?"

Written on 13.04.2021 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 156 users
13.04.2021 - 11:26
Rating: 7
The Melting Snow

Strangely, i like the album more after reading the review.
13.04.2021 - 11:31
nikarg

Written by The Melting Snow on 13.04.2021 at 11:26

Strangely, i like the album more after reading the review.

I have been sitting on this review for more than two months. I love Lake Of Tears, I am not objective, and this was one of the hardest LoT albums to get into. Try listening to it while watching the YT video I have linked, alone, with headphones, reading the lyrics. You will get a whole new perspective of it, I think. And don't forget to play "In Gloom" in the end.
13.04.2021 - 16:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Leaving whit twilight, thought I was chosen... To wander away on darkest of nights.

Daniel is artist, but he is one of greatest poets of modern Swedish non academic society.

Past the forest of the flies of fire
Beyond the waters of shimmering tears
By a fire they stand
And they whisper my name

Maybe not best work, since I adore first 2 most, but this is good, more you listen, more you like.. Time to wander to the outerrealms, where I could be I.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.04.2021 - 20:56
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
This was my album of the month in February. There's this dark and grit atmosphere throughout the whole album, but the songs are actually kind of "easy" to listen to. There's variety, catchiness and sometimes mild complexity. In Wait and in Worries is one of the best pieces this guy ever wrote. Solid 8/10 for me.
13.04.2021 - 21:17
nikarg

Written by Guest on 13.04.2021 at 20:56

In Wait and in Worries is one of the best pieces this guy ever wrote.

This.
Every time I hear him singing the lyrics I quoted in the end, it feels like my heart stops for a couple of seconds.
14.04.2021 - 19:58
Deadsoulman

The only Lake Of Tears album I know is Black Brick Road. I enjoyed it very much, but according to last.fm, last time I listened to it was in April 2010... Well, your review encouraged me to check this one out, and after the first couple of listens, I like it a lot, especially the vocals (which were also what sold me on BBR). I can totally see this album getting a lot of playing time in the coming months. So thanks, I guess
15.04.2021 - 09:37
nikarg

Written by Deadsoulman on 14.04.2021 at 19:58

The only Lake Of Tears album I know is Black Brick Board. I enjoyed it very much, but according to last.fm, last time I listened to it was in April 2010... Well, your review encouraged me to check this one out, and after the first couple of listens, I like it a lot, especially the vocals (which were also what sold me on BBR). I can totally see this album getting a lot of playing time in the coming months. So thanks, I guess

You're welcome! Whenever you have time, I strongly suggest Headstones, A Crimson Cosmos, and Forever Autumn. They are quite different from each other, but equally grand.
15.04.2021 - 09:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deadsoulman on 14.04.2021 at 19:58

The only Lake Of Tears album I know is Black Brick Board. I enjoyed it very much, but according to last.fm, last time I listened to it was in April 2010... Well, your review encouraged me to check this one out, and after the first couple of listens, I like it a lot, especially the vocals (which were also what sold me on BBR). I can totally see this album getting a lot of playing time in the coming months. So thanks, I guess

Thats the long time ago. I did not knew last.fm still is in use. You missed a lot good music there. I suggest listen from a to z that band. First 2 are on regular play list on my work, when I am bored
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.04.2021 - 10:44
Deadsoulman

^ Thanks for the recommendations, you two. Let today be Lake Of Tears day, then

Written by Bad English on 15.04.2021 at 09:45

I did not knew last.fm still is in use.

I don't know it it's all that popular anymore, but I love stats and lists, so...
09.02.2023 - 09:31
Rating: 9
tintinb

I felt like he was really lonely when he wrote this album.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 3361 | This month: 18