Metal Storm logo
Jon Schaffer - Pleaded Guilty To Two Crimes Related To The US Capitol Insurrection

As it has already been officially published in the CNN news (and many others as well), Jon Schaffer pleaded guilty yesterday to two crimes related to the US Capitol insurrection, making him the first rioter to do so. He pleaded guilty to obstruction of an official proceeding and entering a building with a dangerous weapon. More can be read below.

Courtesy of the CNN politics website news:

A heavy metal guitarist with ties to the Oath Keepers pleaded guilty Friday to two crimes related to the US Capitol insurrection, making him the first rioter to do so.

Jon Ryan Schaffer pleaded guilty to obstruction of an official proceeding and entering a building with a dangerous weapon. He admitted to carrying bear spray into the Capitol complex during the formal certification of the Electoral College votes.

One hundred days after the January 6 attack, Schaffer is now the first pro-Trump rioter to plead guilty and admit his crimes.

In his plea deal, Schaffer is described as a "founding lifetime member" of the Oath Keepers, though his lawyers previously claimed in court that he didn't know much about the paramilitary group.

As part of the deal, Schaffer also "admits his belief that the Electoral College results were fraudulent is not a legal justification" for storming the Capitol complex.

Prosecutors and Schaffer's attorneys agreed to recommend that he get between 3.5 and 4.5 years in prison, based on how fruitful his cooperation is with the government. The sentencing decision will ultimately be made by federal Judge Amit Mehta, who is overseeing the case.

Many of the Capitol riot defendants have expressed interest in pleading guilty and attempting to move on with their lives. But those plea deals -- and potential cooperation deals -- have been slowed down while prosecutors waited for sign-off from senior Justice Department officials.

Schaffer's plea was made official during a hastily arranged hearing Friday in DC District Court.

As part of the plea deal, Schaffer agreed to cooperate with investigators and potentially testify in related criminal cases, according to the court proceedings. In return for Schaffer's assistance, the Justice Department might later urge the judge to show leniency during his sentencing.

Recent court filings revealed that Schaffer met with federal investigators for several "debrief interviews" last month.

Investigators likely asked for information about the Oath Keepers, the far-right paramilitary group with a dozen members facing conspiracy charges. Schaffer wore an "Oath Keepers Lifetime Member" hat inside the Capitol, but his defense attorneys said he bought the hat from a fan.

Some laws being used against Capitol rioters have never been used like they are now, to target individual members of a mob on federal grounds. Some defendants are disputing the Justice Department's interpretation of these laws, and Mehta alluded to potential "legal challenges down the road" while questioning prosecutors about the specifics of Schaffer's landmark plea.

Schaffer was initially charged with six federal crimes. He was ordered to stay in jail while his case moved through the court system, because a magistrate judge was alarmed by his potential ties to Oath Keepers extremists and by the fact that he brought bear spray inside the Capitol.

Source: edition.cnn.com
Posted: 17.04.2021 by Abattoir

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 46   Visited by: 248 users
18.04.2021 - 23:37
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Arguing about politics on Metal Storm is about as useful as arguing about politics on Twitter. Only that here you actually have walls of text with *some* good insight.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
19.04.2021 - 00:19
Metren
Dreadrealm
He killed Iced Earth AND Demons & Wizards for this shit. This has been the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
19.04.2021 - 09:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Metal Rasputin on 18.04.2021 at 23:09

As for Jon Schaffer, I really doubt he'll go to jail for 20 or 30 years. I know very little about American justice system, but that just sounds way too much even for this case. There's been so much disinformation and sensational click baits regarding this thing, that I personally don't trust anything anymore unless it's some official sources, anything other than some trash media or internet rumors.

rat out some temple order boys and cooperate, good behavior might come out after doing 60% of his time in slammer, but then when he comes out, maybe he needs have a bug around his knee, no touring.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.04.2021 - 09:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Starvynth on 18.04.2021 at 01:01

An interesting turn of events. We already knew Schaffer was a nutcase and a dim-witted conspiracy theorist, but now we also know that he is a traitor who will snitch on his comrades-in-arms to save his own ass.

What's next?
Will he find Jesus in prison?

Biggest assholes and true believers always rat out buddies of crime , if long term life sentence is waiting. That who does it first and has most valuable info gets biggest plate of priosn food and best deal.
----

apos;'
[image]
19.04.2021 - 12:22
omne metallum
contributor
Always find it weird that they publicly announce that someone is willing to co-operate and testify against others, pretty much puts a "I'm a snitch" sign above his head.
----
Just because I'm not listening doesn't mean I don't care
19.04.2021 - 12:31
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
My news submission about him being denied bail prior to trial is denied because "we don't want to fuel the flames anymore about this" yet him coping to a plea deal is cool because it's a better headline? Okay.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
19.04.2021 - 20:25
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by Aries Rising on 18.04.2021 at 11:07

There is only one kind of privilege, wealth.

Three.

Looks, money & status.

Politics is a giga-time wasting cope. However, freedom does get taken for granted and here is no exception, unfortunately.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

19.04.2021 - 23:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Duck Dodgers on 18.04.2021 at 22:14

Who cares?! Lacuna Coil are releasing a live album! Woohoo! )

I think I'd rather take Schaffer's sentence than listen to that.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.04.2021 - 00:22
Callisto
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.04.2021 at 23:45

Finally something we can all agree upon. Thanks Lacuna for uniting us all....
20.04.2021 - 08:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.04.2021 at 23:45

Cant be worst as baby metal in 1th april.
----

apos;'
[image]
07.05.2021 - 10:23
The plea is that this man agrees that he Practices what He Preaches. To him, Metal is more than music, it is a way of life, and he is living it, no matter the cost. Let he who is without heart shudder before this mountain of a man.
----
Live, Die, Rise, Revenge, Repeat.
07.05.2021 - 11:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ThunderousWolf on 07.05.2021 at 10:23

The plea is that this man agrees that he Practices what He Preaches. To him, Metal is more than music, it is a way of life, and he is living it, no matter the cost. Let he who is without heart shudder before this mountain of a man.

Then I will ask do you practice what you preach..all are vise till charge a time in US state or federal jail, then 8 from 10 start to talk....
----

apos;'
[image]
07.05.2021 - 21:40
nikarg
staff
Written by ThunderousWolf on 07.05.2021 at 10:23

I have no idea how you came up with this interpretation. To me, the plea is that this man is someone who doesn't hesitate to give away his comrades for a better deal with the justice system. This is as far from metal as it gets. I would respect him if he went all the way for his beliefs, despite the fact that I disagree with him. But betraying the people in your circle is not the behaviour of a mountain of a man, it's the behaviour of a molehill of a man. In my books, at least.

And by the way, what's that nickname of yours all about? I am really curious.
09.05.2021 - 14:38
Written by nikarg on 07.05.2021 at 21:40

1.I have no idea how you came up with this interpretation.

2.And by the way, what's that nickname of yours all about? I am really curious.

1.Pleading Guilty = Admission of Guilt, Taking Responsibility for one's actions. Practicing what Schaffer preaches - See the Glorious Burden, and many other songs throughout Iced Earth discography. I could drone on about how when petitions of peace fail, petitions of arms ensue, but that's for another thread.
1. Need not answer, but simply contemplate for oneself - Going to Trial against Federal Government facing what could amount to the rest of your life behind bars, what would you do? Also please note that U.S. court systems are deeply flawed, corrupted, and not at all as is portrayed by media.

2. Curiosity should not be shunned, but use your imagination, for few believe Truth even when shown to them. Also let's stick to topic.
----
10.05.2021 - 23:14
nikarg
staff
Written by ThunderousWolf on 09.05.2021 at 14:38

1+1+2

1. If you cannot see the contradiction in your post, there is not much that I can or care to do.
2. Ok, let's stay on topic. I'll contact you privately regarding this matter.
12.05.2021 - 00:10
I understand your disappointment with his plea bargaining, that he is betraying his cause and his friends, however,
I believe he was and is still ready to go down in a blaze of glory, that thankfully, need not occur, for Jon Schaffer has prophesied the coming of the something Wicked.
----

Hits total: 4674 | This month: 12