550 users:
Band: Nile
Album: Ithyphallic
Style: Brutal death metal, Technical death metal
Release date: July 2007

01. What Can Be Safely Written
02. As He Creates So He Destroys
03. Ithyphallic
04. Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water
05. Eat Of The Dead
06. Laying Fire Upon Apep
07. The Essential Salts
08. The Infinity Of Stone
09. The Language Of The Shadows
10. Even The Gods Must Die
11. As He Creates So He Destroys [instrumental version] [Digipak bonus]
12. Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water [instrumental version] [Digipak bonus]

It seems everyone is praising this new Nile release, am I hearing a different album? "Ithyphallic" is far from being good, on the contrary it lacks the aggressive personality that the band used to have in their older days, it just seems that "someone" told the band -Ok dudes, if you don't do what WE say we won't sign you, now start writing for us or else your album won't be released?oh yeah, you're no longer with Relapse so make it more melodic, now write cheesy riffs, uh I like it now, YES!!! This is what we were looking for exactly.

So it's more o less like that, some flat riffs, a lot of melodious fruity loops and incredibly good vocals (they still got that one at least). The rest of the album becomes a little boring because of its repetitiveness, the songwriting seems like it's copying itself over and over again and even though the brutal leftovers are amazing it seems like the band jammed all the hostility in those small spaces of music, pressure bleeds all over the place to be honest.

The musicianship however is brilliant, Nile has insane musicians indeed and they do their best to show it off, I just wish they had a better structure to execute but life's a bitch. Another good thing is the production, it's a little dry and you'll have to be orginizing your volume each time you toss this album to your player, but the clarity of the instruments and vocals is just amazing to say the least.

So anyway, the album is not THAT bad I guess?it's just that Nile was ten times better than this, their last album had at least 4 epic songs and this one has none; Ithyphallic it's just a collection of what we could see as either leftovers of past albums or as something the label desperately wanted to achieve not caring for the band at all?just like what happened with Malevolent Creation

For fans and collectors only!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 09.08.2007

Comments

Comments: 64   Visited by: 322 users
09.08.2007 - 19:45
Rating: 7
Syk
myspace/bonerama
What's with the homophobia man...

Any top songs? I think 3 & 5 were my favs when I checked out the samples, but I'm still obsessed with Lashed from the previous album
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
09.08.2007 - 19:53
Herzebeth
Written by Syk on 09.08.2007 at 19:45

What's with the homophobia man...

Haven't you heard the theory? I myself Am a gay that never came out of the closet, so...I use my repressed gay powers and turn them into homophobia, though I totally dig anal sex and stuff.

about the songs, I didn't find a HIGHLIIGHT...that's why the rating went downhill, the songs are part good part bad and that's why it gets boring after some time, the songs are NOT memorable and it's hard enough to remember if they were good enough let alone the names lol
----
09.08.2007 - 20:18
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Haha but you REMOVED it! Thanks

I know exactly what you mean, I hate when that happens... lol I just realized you rated this the smallest touch above the last DoZ album, that's nice, will be interesting to compare the next
----

09.08.2007 - 20:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
I actually somehow agree with this review and rating.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2007 - 20:25
Rating: 6
Sunioj
Hmm...I guess I will still check out the album, and the musicianship. But one thing confuses me, do you rate the album by averaging out the other details? ( originality, musicianship etc. ) Or does those details have nothing to do with the final rating?
09.08.2007 - 20:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Sunioj on 09.08.2007 at 20:25

Hmm...I guess I will still check out the album, and the musicianship. But one thing confuses me, do you rate the album by averaging out the other details? ( originality, musicianship etc. ) Or does those details have nothing to do with the final rating?

They used to be linked but nowadays it is possible to rate every category a 10 but give the final mark of, let's say, 6
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2007 - 20:30
Syk
myspace/bonerama
From last year the final was determined by taking the average of the four criteria you see + a "reviewer's opinion/impression" score, but earlier this year it changed to independent, so the final is the reviewer's true overall opinion of the album
----

09.08.2007 - 20:33
Sunioj
thanks!
09.08.2007 - 21:07
Baz Anderson
staff
I think you have been too hard on them on this review because it is Nile..
if it was an unknown band that had sent you this album I am sure the rating and general review would be much more positive

the album isn't their best but deserves a little more credit than this I think
09.08.2007 - 21:13
Damned-In-Black
I have to agree in general, too.

To me this seemed to basically be AOTW Pt. II, but lacking the better songs.
09.08.2007 - 21:37
Herzebeth
Written by Baz Anderson on 09.08.2007 at 21:07

I think you have been too hard on them on this review because it is Nile..
if it was an unknown band that had sent you this album I am sure the rating and general review would be much more positive

the album isn't their best but deserves a little more credit than this I think

EXACTLY!!! oh my friend you got the point....

As theiy're Nile they are supposed to present material which is 10 times better than the average bands that send me albums capiche? We, the reviewers such as you, Can not rate in the same way a Nile album with a Hecatomb one, one of them has the experience to achieve a 10..the other does not...it's like a job, you can't possibly ask a newbie to do the job of an experienced director...and what happens when that director totally fails? he gets fired you see?

Nile already did a 10 album, they have no reason to go backwards, well...now they do, their label and that's even suckier than this album-.-
----
09.08.2007 - 21:40
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I personally liked this album, it's no where close to being perfect or my favorite, but I think it deserves atleast a 7.5-8.0 I find the music enjoyable, it might not be the best ever written but I think Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water, Eat Of The Dead, What Can Be Safely Written, and Even The Gods Must Die are pretty awesome songs. And I don't think you can say some lable told em to be more melodic and whatever, because this kind of music will never...ever be commercial.
09.08.2007 - 21:43
Herzebeth
Written by Guest on 09.08.2007 at 21:40

And I don't think you can say some lable told em to be more melodic and whatever, because this kind of music will never...ever be commercial.

commercial of course not...more melodic and softer due to the overall line of the label? YES YES YES!!

Nuclear Blast has Sonic Syndicate for the love of god...
----
09.08.2007 - 21:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Herzebeth on 09.08.2007 at 21:43

And I don't think you can say some lable told em to be more melodic and whatever, because this kind of music will never...ever be commercial.

commercial of course not...more melodic and softer due to the overall line of the label? YES YES YES!!

yeah I forgot about Sonic Syndicate. The strange thing is that now that Roadrunner is moving away from their metalcore/nu-metal bands quite a bit, Nuclear Blast starts singing them. And so once again NB follows what Roadrunner did earlier.... Century Media will probably also go that way soon. With labels there seem to be trendsetters and trand followers.

And like I said I fully agree with your Nile review. I like the director analogy you used in one of your comments here. A goood one to store in my brain and use for future reference with crediting you of course.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2007 - 22:02
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
I prefer Annihilation of the Wicked, this album Ithyphallic deceive me, even if some songs are not so bad(I like Papyrus etc...etc... when I listened to it I found it so technical that it was monstrous xD)
09.08.2007 - 22:38
Infurnace
I like the album pretty much, but I have to say I prefer Annihilation Of The Wicked. That one contains a lot more good songs.
10.08.2007 - 01:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I like this album less with every listen...but I've only felt the need to listen to it twice so uuhhh I guess what I said doesn't really make sense lol.
10.08.2007 - 03:52
aleksandra_filth
Account deleted
All Metal Heads In Macedonia Lisen The Ithypallic album
Macedonia=Alexander the greath:banger2:
10.08.2007 - 04:26
I really liked the album actually. I was amazed, mainly by the musicianship, but I like the songs too. I would give it an 8-9.
----
you should all check out a band called synthetic breed.
10.08.2007 - 06:55
bluemobiusx
Account deleted

I don't think that calling the album soft would be the right term, and there is nothing wrong with it being more melodic. I think the band will write what they want. Nile isn't the type of band that would let a label push em around. They write what they want as musicians. If the album is more melodic, then its probably cause the band wanted it that way.
10.08.2007 - 10:29
Meuterei
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 09.08.2007 at 19:45

Any top songs? I think 3 & 5 were my favs when I checked out the samples, but I'm still obsessed with Lashed from the previous album

Hell yes, Lashed to the Slave Stick was amazing. Unfortunately this album has nothing anywhere near that good.
10.08.2007 - 13:50
Rating: 9
Bedi
I think the biggest problem in this album is the crappy mixing. It sounds so plain compared to the other Nile releases. The older ones sounded much more brutal and distorted. I still love it thou....
10.08.2007 - 15:40
..HumanError..
Account deleted
I agree with the review. I've been through it without really hearing any difference between the songs, and I eventually stopped paying attention. Nothing stroke my ears. A bad album for Nile, but a not so bad Death Metal album after all... Not so bad.
10.08.2007 - 17:36
Herzebeth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.08.2007 at 21:55

yeah I forgot about Sonic Syndicate. The strange thing is that now that Roadrunner is moving away from their metalcore/nu-metal bands quite a bit, Nuclear Blast starts singing them. And so once again NB follows what Roadrunner did earlier.... Century Media will probably also go that way soon. With labels there seem to be trendsetters and trand followers.

And like I said I fully agree with your Nile review. I like the director analogy you used in one of your comments here. A goood one to store in my brain and use for future reference with crediting you of course.

I totally agree with you, labels are trendsetters (great word to be used), I saw the same thing that you did, all of a sudden Nuclear Blast from began signing a lot of "rejected" bands from other labels, and about Century Media, I think they're already there my friend, if you read their roster you'll see from God Forbid to Lacuna Coil...

ok it's not all bad, they did a good job in releasing Smear Campaign at least so I understand how you said "soon" they'll be there...
----
10.08.2007 - 21:19
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
wtf? I did like this album AND the songs in it. I actually like when brutal bands mix melodic stuff into the blasting and all, so, this seems really good to me. IMO you guys are being kind of narrow minded expecting just the same from this band. Cryptopsy mixed a little, very little of melody into their later albums and they're still killer as fuck.
11.08.2007 - 02:54
Damg
Account deleted
I like all Nile material, they have better albums but this one deserves at least 7.2
11.08.2007 - 06:42
Throne of Rats
I agree with this review hands down.
I don't know what happened to Niles originality...
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
11.08.2007 - 13:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I didn't really like this one either.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.08.2007 - 14:48
lordz
IzZo
I just listened to the whole album not that long ago and all I could say is ... This review couldn't be more fare... meaning I absolutely agree with you Herzebeth

A total disappointment....... As said earlier the album should have been 10 times better than the previous one since its coming from NILE... The DeathMetal Gods ...

but still I could listen to it some times I guess
11.08.2007 - 18:10
Rating: 8
MetalHead74
Written by Guest on 10.08.2007 at 21:19

wtf? I did like this album AND the songs in it. I actually like when brutal bands mix melodic stuff into the blasting and all, so, this seems really good to me. IMO you guys are being kind of narrow minded expecting just the same from this band. Cryptopsy mixed a little, very little of melody into their later albums and they're still killer as fuck.
[/quote

Totally agree with you

Hits total: 10353 | This month: 20