08. Godmoney

2006 re-release bonus tracks:
09. The System's Failing
10. The Dreaming Mind [demo]
11. World Unborn [demo]
12. Chances Three [demo]
13. Utopia [demo]
+ What Tomorrow Knows [video]

From the ashes of the unfortunate split of Sanctuary in 1990, Warrel Dane (vocals) and Jim Sheppard (bass) decide to keep the flame burning. After some time Nevermore was born and they started writing new material. In 1995 their untitled debut album saw the light. Nowadays, this release is very overlooked, as most of the Nevermore fans skip this album and start talking about the second album "The Politics Of Ecstasy". Because the aforementioned "Politics.." or "Dead Heart In A Dead World" are such masterpieces this album will probably dwell in their shades forever. This is not completely justified as this release captures a very young and raw Nevermore which is already very interesting to listen to.

However, I must admit to be guilty as well. "Nevermore" was the last album I heard from them and I already had high expectations. Expectations which it doesn't live up to. Does that mean this is a bad album? No, after you put things in perspective you'll realize this is a good release in it's own way. The insanity of Warrel Danes' vocals and lyrics are already present and they do not fail to deliver. Also Jeff Loomis shows he already knew how to write great riffs back then.
For a debut album, this release is also pretty varried. Whether you like catchy choruses such as in "The Sanity Assassin" or the ever present criticism on christianity or religion in general in "Godmoney". Whether you like Loomis' solo's over heavy riffing or the beautiful and almost insane vocal performances of Warrel Dane. It is all there for you.

In the end, one cannot deny that Nevermore's best albums are "Politics..", "Dead Heart.." or maybe "This Godless Endeavor". It doesn't have the energy and virtuosity of these albums. However, this album was surely a big step in the right direction and for that fact solely it deserves more recognition.

Don't be afraid to dream outside the lines.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 17.05.2007 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 128 users
11.08.2007 - 03:10
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I am a fan of this album indeed. It definitely gave us a hint of what was to come on later albums. It also has a very strong Metallica influence, as can be noted.
----
The force will be with you, always.
14.08.2007 - 23:34
Rating: 10
Infurnace

This is a great album. It may not be their best, but Nevermore hasn't released any bad albums yet. And Nervel, I agree with you, their best albums are "Politics Of Ecstacy", "Dead Heart In A Dead World" and "This Godless Endeavor".
17.05.2009 - 09:50
Rating: 7
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
NIce review!!! it says just what i believe...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
09.06.2011 - 00:21
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid

I recently just got into nevermore through their debut album, mostly because of the fact that i am seeing them at bloodstock open air this year-the album was amazing in my opinion! but i shall get the other albums and see how time has changed the perception of this debut.
16.02.2016 - 22:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by musicalkaratekid on 09.06.2011 at 00:21

I recently just got into nevermore through their debut album, mostly because of the fact that i am seeing them at bloodstock open air this year-the album was amazing in my opinion! but i shall get the other albums and see how time has changed the perception of this debut.

I got into this band because of video enemy of reality and I have to admit today is day after many years I am listening full album from this band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5444 | This month: 3