Metal Storm logo
Venom vs Mercyful Fate

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 30.05.2006 - 05:51
Being they are both the originators of Black Metal,I thought it would be interesting to see who you prefer?I myself prefer Kronos for vocals,though King Diamond is a talented vocalist his voice can be somewhat irritating to me on such high notes.Musically I think it goes too Mercyful Fate,especially on Dont Break The Oath their best album,I just enjoy more albums by venom:"Welcome To Hell","Black Metal" and "At War With Satan".So I think my vote goes to Venom,because their music is more fun too listen too,not so serious in other words.
04.05.2011 - 20:32
Yasmine
Sorry "Gay and annoy" is NOT a valid argument against ANYTHING, EVER. ABIGAIL, THEM, CONSPIRACY are great albums that include a pioneer guitarist, and with a Gorguts avatar, you're telling us you can't understand KD? I'm not his biggest fan but I hardly believe you understand Gorgots type vocals and not KD.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
05.05.2011 - 01:04
Doom Trooper
Mercyful Fate all the way. Their musicianship was so a head of the garage band sound of Venom. Plus fucking King Diamond is only the greatest vocalist of all time. [debatable]

Written by Guest on 04.05.2011 at 16:32

Did Mercyful Fate even became an originator of Black Metal? No offense but King Diamond's vocals are gay and annoying, Mercyful Fate's first album was a piece of sh!t, priest/maiden ripoff wannabes, While the 2nd album were everyone says is a classic is also pretty boring to me, Not only that the sound was basic and lame, but the VOCALS are one of the worst i've ever heard, I have heard hundreds of vocalists in every metal genre, but damn, king diamond is probably the gayest.

btw King Diamond's "ABIGAIL, THEM, CONSPIRACY, THE EYE" albums sucks too, i mean i get the point that those albums are all about story telling, but damn, how can you appreciate the story tell without even understanding what the fuck is he saying?

I feel so sorry for you. Hopefully you will grow up soon.
05.05.2011 - 03:03
Hellios
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 04.05.2011 at 20:32

Sorry "Gay and annoy" is NOT a valid argument against ANYTHING, EVER. ABIGAIL, THEM, CONSPIRACY are great albums that include a pioneer guitarist, and with a Gorguts avatar, you're telling us you can't understand KD? I'm not his biggest fan but I hardly believe you understand Gorgots type vocals and not KD.
It's my opinion, I think Mercyful Fate/King Diamond sucks because mainly of the vocals, I can appreciate gutturals, grunts, dirty and clean vocals..but if the highlight of the album is to story tell, (Abigail, Conspiracy, Them, The Eye) he should make his vocals clearer to successfully relay his message to the listener, i don't like looking at the lyrics everytime just to understand what he's saying, That would destroy the listening experience and the atmosphere, If King Diamond wants to be atmospheric with the vocals, He fails..i mean there's no atmosphere with this sound at all and i'm not the only Metalhead who thinks King Diamond sucks, i know a lot of Metalheads who can't appreciate those faggy vocals.
05.05.2011 - 03:08
Hellios
Account deleted
Written by Doom Trooper on 05.05.2011 at 01:04

Mercyful Fate all the way. Their musicianship was so a head of the garage band sound of Venom. Plus fucking King Diamond is only the greatest vocalist of all time. [debatable]

Written by Guest on 04.05.2011 at 16:32

Did Mercyful Fate even became an originator of Black Metal? No offense but King Diamond's vocals are gay and annoying, Mercyful Fate's first album was a piece of sh!t, priest/maiden ripoff wannabes, While the 2nd album were everyone says is a classic is also pretty boring to me, Not only that the sound was basic and lame, but the VOCALS are one of the worst i've ever heard, I have heard hundreds of vocalists in every metal genre, but damn, king diamond is probably the gayest.

btw King Diamond's "ABIGAIL, THEM, CONSPIRACY, THE EYE" albums sucks too, i mean i get the point that those albums are all about story telling, but damn, how can you appreciate the story tell without even understanding what the fuck is he saying?

I feel so sorry for you. Hopefully you will grow up soon.
That "garage sound" of Venom still has that evil feel,

It's like the posers saying "Darkthrone sucks because of the lo-fi production and the simple sound, but i think Dimmu Borgir rules because of the better sound quality production"

Even Venom INFLUENCED Mercyful Fate.
05.05.2011 - 03:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 05.05.2011 at 03:08

You just called the band who influenced thousands of EXTREME METAL BANDS as garbage.

Garage band =/= garbage band.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.05.2011 - 03:29
Hellios
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.05.2011 at 03:10

Written by Guest on 05.05.2011 at 03:08

You just called the band who influenced thousands of EXTREME METAL BANDS as garbage.

Garage band =/= garbage band.
I misread it, EDITED.
05.05.2011 - 04:06
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 05.05.2011 at 03:03

It's my opinion, I think Mercyful Fate/King Diamond sucks because mainly of the vocals, I can appreciate gutturals, grunts, dirty and clean vocals..but if the highlight of the album is to story tell, (Abigail, Conspiracy, Them, The Eye) he should make his vocals clearer to successfully relay his message to the listener, i don't like looking at the lyrics everytime just to understand what he's saying, That would destroy the listening experience and the atmosphere, If King Diamond wants to be atmospheric with the vocals, He fails..i mean there's no atmosphere with this sound at all and i'm not the only Metalhead who thinks King Diamond sucks, i know a lot of Metalheads who can't appreciate those faggy vocals.

His voice is quite clear compared to all the other stuff you listen to, sorry toss the argument. and again "faggy" is making you sound like a little kid. I know most listeners do not listen to KD for the "story" another invalid argument. I listen to KD for Andy's guitar playing mostly, it quite exceeds most of the horrible thrash you posted over in that thread.

Venom on the other hand has little in the way of skill at their instruments and do no adventure outside their tiny little boxes, and anyone can pull off their vocals, anyone. Can you hit anything about C6 without you voice cracking like a little girls? Nah, didn't think so.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
05.05.2011 - 10:25
Hellios
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 05.05.2011 at 04:06

Written by Guest on 05.05.2011 at 03:03

His voice is quite clear compared to all the other stuff you listen to, sorry toss the argument. and again "faggy" is making you sound like a little kid. I know most listeners do not listen to KD for the "story" another invalid argument. I listen to KD for Andy's guitar playing mostly, it quite exceeds most of the horrible thrash you posted over in that thread.

Venom on the other hand has little in the way of skill at their instruments and do no adventure outside their tiny little boxes, and anyone can pull off their vocals, anyone. Can you hit anything about C6 without you voice cracking like a little girls? Nah, didn't think so.
King Diamond still sounds like a tranny getting raped by pigs, And i'm not the only Metalhead who thinks so, calling those CLASSIC Thrash bands i mentioned in the other thread as "Horrible" still doesn't erase the fact that KING DIAMOND still sounds like a tranny getting raped by pigs and comparing them to VENOM is blasphemy.
05.05.2011 - 10:46
Yasmine
Quote:
Written by Guest on 05.05.2011 at 10:25

King Diamond still sounds like a tranny getting raped by pigs, And i'm not the only Metalhead who thinks so, calling those CLASSIC Thrash bands i mentioned in the other thread as "Horrible" still doesn't erase the fact that KING DIAMOND still sounds like a tranny getting raped by pigs and comparing them to VENOM is blasphemy.

Still an invalid argument, and calling your thrash crap terrible should let you compare their terrible vocals that are for the most part just spoken with KD's. Nobody is going to listen to you trying to compare insults, you need to grow up. Right now you are just a troll, I stand by it, Venom's music is VERY VERY simple compared to most metal mentioned here.

You = Troll, Your opinion = illogical. The only one that sounds like something they're not here is YOU, 21 my ass.
----
05.05.2011 - 10:48
Hellios
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Yasmine on 05.05.2011 at 10:46

Written by Guest on 05.05.2011 at 10:25

Still an invalid argument, and calling your thrash crap terrible should let you compare their terrible vocals that are for the most part just spoken with KD's. Nobody is going to listen to you trying to compare insults, you need to grow up. Right now you are just a troll, I stand by it, Venom's music is VERY VERY simple compared to most metal mentioned here.

You = Troll, Your opinion = illogical. The only one that sounds like something they're not here is YOU, 21 my ass.
Hahaha

You're attacking me with cheap personal insults and i'm the one who needs to grow up? haha

Go listen to your hot topic power metal crap, idiot.

Mercyful fate ain't even black metal, SARCOFAGO will rape you posers. I hope you know who Sarcofago is.
05.05.2011 - 10:53
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 05.05.2011 at 10:48

You're attacking me with cheap personal insults and i'm the one who needs to grow up? haha

Go listen to your hot topic power metal crap, idiot.

Now you're projecting, tis you trying to be insulting, I'm stating a fact, YOU are IMMATURE. If you find that insulting, that's on you, not me. Hot topic? They have Venom shirts, Dimmu, sorry dude, it's more your style there. Grow up, I won't wait on it though, it might not happen.

SARCOFAGO is not the topic here, MF vs Venom is.
----
05.05.2011 - 11:10
Hellios
Account deleted
Whatever, Those thrash bands like Morbid Saint, Demolition Hammer etc...will rape King Diamond or any hot topic power metal/symphonic metal bands.

Have you ever heard of Morbid Saint? It might scare you...
05.05.2011 - 11:18
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 05.05.2011 at 11:10

Whatever, Those thrash bands like Morbid Saint, Demolition Hammer etc...will rape King Diamond or any hot topic power metal/symphonic metal bands.

Again hot topics image is geared much much more toward the music you like, and yes I've heard them the vocals can be done by everyone on the planet nearly. I can even do that silly high pitched raspy crap.

I iz so br00tal and trve. Seriously give it up.

AGain MF vs Venom, since you're stating absolutes, show us how Venom is better than MF? Won't be by musical talent..and after that it's subjective.
----
05.05.2011 - 11:31
Hellios
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 05.05.2011 at 11:18

Again hot topics image is geared much much more toward the music you like, and yes I've heard them the vocals can be done by everyone on the planet nearly. I can even do that silly high pitched raspy crap.

WRONG, Hot topic bands are the power metal/symphonic metal crap that gets lots of media attention, Like the bands you listen to. I know people like you won't appreciate the real underground metal, Hot topic trendies like you would rather prefer THE CLEAN, RADIO FRIENDLY, HAPPY-GO-LUCKY, ORCHESTRA Symphonic bands that gets lots of airplay on the TV.

I listen to Archgoat, Diocletian, Conqueror, Revenge, Beherit, Ravencult, Profanatica, Black Witchery. Are those bands hot topic? Come back to me after you've googled those bands.
05.05.2011 - 11:36
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 05.05.2011 at 11:31

WRONG, Hot topic bands are the power metal/symphonic metal crap that gets lots of media attention, Like the bands you listen to. I know people like you won't appreciate the real underground metal, Hot topic trendies like you would rather prefer THE CLEAN, RADIO FRIENDLY, HAPPY-GO-LUCKY, ORCHESTRA Symphonic bands that gets lots of airplay on the TV.

I listen to Archgoat, Diocletian, Conqueror, Revenge, Beherit, Ravencult, Profanatica, Black Witchery. Are those bands hot topic? Come back to me after you've googled those bands.

You Just googled those bands, the bands you listen to were already mentioned over in the thrash thread, and we're talking about image here, YOUR perfered musics image "Br00talz" popular among immature males is in fact what's at hot topic, and you know it. Dimmu, Cradle, etc. Nothing power metal about the image at hot topic. I'm about to ignore you anyway, because no matter how many times you repeat it it won't be true. Broderick, Cooley, etc are better guitarists than the guys in those bands, same all acrossed the board. >>>>>Only thing on the site considered metal on this forum and it's not Power LOL!!!!!

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Apparel/TShirts/Music/Immortal-Band-TShirt-913400.jsp

Again Venom vs MF, stop repeating yourself and show me HOW Venom is better than MF.
----
05.05.2011 - 11:47
Hellios
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 05.05.2011 at 11:36

Written by Guest on 05.05.2011 at 11:31

You Just googled those bands, the bands you listen to were already mentioned over in the thrash thread, and we're talking about image here, YOUR perfered musics image "Br00talz" popular among immature males is in fact what's at hot topic, and you know it. Dimmu, Cradle, etc. Nothing power metal about the image at hot topic. I'm about to ignore you anyway, because no matter how many times you repeat it it won't be true. Broderick, Cooley, etc are better guitarists than the guys in those bands, same all acrossed the board.

Again Venom vs MF, stop repeating yourself and show me HOW Venom is better than MF.
I didn't even mentioned those bands in the thrash thread because they aren't even thrash, THEY ARE BESTIAL BLACK METAL.

Mother Mary's asshole, i won't learn anything from this forum..seeing threads like "Korn" or "Lordi vs Slipknot", or people stating that Mercyful Fate is black metal and arguing with a hot topic power metal trendy doesn't help it either.

This forum is for the Hot Topic trendy kids.

This is just a waste of time, This forum is a sanctuary for noobs/posers/trend kids like you. I'm just gonna go back to the site where the true elite metalheads are.
05.05.2011 - 11:53
Yasmine
LOL anyone?

I have a feeling I'm going to get in trouble........but he was way out of line.....
----
05.05.2011 - 14:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Yasmine on 05.05.2011 at 11:53

LOL anyone?

I have a feeling I'm going to get in trouble........but he was way out of line.....

Looks like you scared him... Wouldn't say either one of you did anything wrong - just a typical argument that didn't even stray too far from the thread topic.

As for Venom vs. MF - I'd go with MF, even though I don't listen much to either. It's not even that I like MF, it's just that I hate Venom. I remember listening through their entire discog once and regretting every minute of it. I don't think I'd give any of their albums more than a 6/10.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.05.2011 - 14:59
Yasmine
Go listen to your hot topic power metal crap, idiot

i know a lot of Metalheads who can't appreciate those faggy vocals.

First not that I'm worked up by it, but still.....Out of line.

2nd loathe that shite, it's not an argument and it's an attempt to abuse the term. I tried to get him to tell me how Venom was best........no dice, I've listened to all but one Venom album and find them quite lacking.
----
05.05.2011 - 15:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
MF is black metal. Or ate least at the time when the first two full lengths and the mini were released.

I love how Hellios considers himself sooo underground and an true elite
And then coming up with the term Bestial Black Metal
As for ravenculy nothing special fun to listen to once in a while some okayish black thrash there. As for the other bands he mentioned quite crappy musicianship but considered cult by the internet kiddies but not by the people that actually were there when they started and released stuff.

As for Venom vs MF
MF runaway winners on all fronts, vocals, musicianship, song writing skills, atmosphere etc etc
Venom really only were and still are a gimmick band
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.05.2011 - 15:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Yasmine on 05.05.2011 at 14:59

...I've listened to all but one Venom album and find them quite lacking.

I find that remark way too positive
And live they were even worse at the time
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.05.2011 - 15:11
Yasmine
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.05.2011 at 15:06

Written by Yasmine on 05.05.2011 at 14:59

...I've listened to all but one Venom album and find them quite lacking.

I find that remark way too positive
And live they were even worse at the time

Probably I remember one of my good friends having "Metal Black" and I laughed so damn hard at how lame it was and she laughed with it too, but I wouldn't consider MF black metal as a genre as many of the things that are BM qualities now do not exist, however a major influence no less, lyrically and image wise. But that's what I thought a sorta contest between 2 bands considered to have influenced the genre.
----
06.05.2011 - 05:40
@gent_-_orange
Mercyful Fate absolutley destroys venom in my opinion. For one thing Mercyful Fate actually have actually released great records and are made up of quality musicians, not something I can say about venom. Venom are only noteworthy because of the influence and are (at least in my opinion) one of the most overrated bands in metal.
15.02.2013 - 22:26
squidrick420
Mercyful Fate!!! Venom is alright, but they are more about hype than talent, not that they suck, but they are all mediocre musicians in comparison to Mercyful Fate. I like some Venom songs, but i love almost all Mercyful Fate songs. So thats my answer
18.02.2013 - 05:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I've never really liked Mercyful fate. However I love venom. Dunno why, but Black Metal is such a fun album.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.02.2013 - 17:53
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.02.2013 at 05:22

I've never really liked Mercyful fate. However I love venom. Dunno why, but Black Metal is such a fun album.

I've always hated Venom. However I love Mercyful Fate. I know why, their first EP, debut, and second album are each fantastic.
19.02.2013 - 09:29
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
What a ridiculous juxtaposition Venom was a bad band with sloppy songwriting and even worse musicianship, while Mercyful Fate were brilliant in every department. Yeah, I know Venom was very influential. But it doesn't make them any better.
25.02.2013 - 07:18
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I enjoy much more venom than MF
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
04.03.2013 - 18:24
Aristarchos
As much as I love At War With Satan, yet I had to go for Mercyful Fate. They have more qualitative melodies.
06.03.2013 - 06:55
Deithial
Thats a tough one but I'd have to say MF. Over all the songs on the first couple of albums stuck with me more than Venom's. Not that Venom isn't great either. I guess the song that sticks with me the most is "The Oath" and the first line of the song. "I deny jesus christ, the deciever." That's just metal.