Metal Storm logo
Languages You Speak/Would Like To Speak/Are Learning

Original post

Posted by , 18.08.2007 - 17:35
The idea is simple... Talk about the languages you speak, and the ones you would like to learn. What are they? Why do you like them? What is that you don't like about them? How and where did you learn them? What is your mother language?

Personally...

- (As you *might* have noticed) I speak English. Not really well, but I think I can say I know the basis. But it is not my first language: French is. I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but I speak French really well. Yet, it is the third language I learnt.
- My mother language is Arabic, it was the first one I learnt as I am Moroccan and was born in Morocco. But my parents speak French more than Arabic, and I started going to a French school when I was 5, thus, I started forgetting Arabic. I was still as able to understand it as before, but I couldn't speak it anymore, past my 8th birthday. (Some other important factors were involded, but it is not necessary to mention them.)
- The second language I learnt was Spanish, because of/thanks to Spanish TV channels and my grandmother, who only spoke Spanish and Arabic. But when we left the city where we were living (Tanger, just in front of Spain), I stopped watching Spanish channels, and left my grandmother as well, and then, forgot Spanish too .
- That's when French comes. It became my first language around 8. As the French school system wants it, I started learning English at 11. And I unexpectedly didn't have any difficulty with it. I have always had the best mark in that subject, without making any effort for that. Unfortunately it is still not enough. I realised my level was not as good as I thought it was.
- The next year, (I was 12) I chose Latin, but I had to stop after a few months, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start Spanish the following year. I started re-learning Spanish at 13.
- But since I took Spanish at 13, I couldn't take German at 15. I had too many subjects and the teachers wouldn't let me add German. Yet it is the language I really want to learn. I like the sonority of it, and I watch German TV channels just to hear it, even if I don't get a word of it .
- As a consequence, the two languages I can speak the best are French, and English.

As you see the topic is vast, there is a lot to say...
23.11.2014 - 16:30
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Sometimes I wonder how Germans manage to speak such complicated language
----
The Fangirl.
23.11.2014 - 18:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by angel. on 23.11.2014 at 16:30

Sometimes I wonder how Germans manage to speak such complicated language

it is not farsi is more IMO ;p
besides ts modern, in the forest tribe days who knows how hard was it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.11.2014 - 20:04
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Bad English on 23.11.2014 at 18:52

No it isn't hard at all because there is no article for females,males and things there arn't even different pronouns for different genders and things,you see this easy you can speak it like a real Persian xD
----
The Fangirl.
23.11.2014 - 20:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by angel. on 23.11.2014 at 20:04

Written by Bad English on 23.11.2014 at 18:52

No it isn't hard at all because there is no article for females,males and things there arn't even different pronouns for different genders and things,you see this easy you can speak it like a real Persian xD

das is hard to get sometimes , die female, der male, to me it makes sence we have same female , male, like flower famele, tree . male si if I know what sex article belongs its easier
----

apos;'
[image]
24.11.2014 - 02:33
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Yeah those articles are very difficult. In portuguese we have only male and female but not neutral, so it's far easier.
But well, in greek and russian you also have the problems with the articles, so it's not only a german thing.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.11.2014 - 08:09
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Karlabos on 24.11.2014 at 02:33

Yeah those articles are very difficult. In portuguese we have only male and female but not neutral, so it's far easier.
But well, in greek and russian you also have the problems with the articles, so it's not only a german thing.

But then in akusative and dative sentences they started to be reversed I don't know if it's the case in russian or greek
----
The Fangirl.
24.11.2014 - 11:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
In Swedish we have en or ett then come sbestemd or obestemd form ... ask Johan what it is
----

apos;'
[image]
24.11.2014 - 17:11
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by angel. on 24.11.2014 at 08:09

Written by Karlabos on 24.11.2014 at 02:33

But then in akusative and dative sentences they started to be reversed I don't know if it's the case in russian or greek

Well I didnt study greek very throughly so I dont know, but in Russian you have 6 of those cases instead of 4 =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.11.2014 - 17:41
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Karlabos on 24.11.2014 at 17:11

Well I didnt study greek very throughly so I dont know, but in Russian you have 6 of those cases instead of 4 =P

oh my 6 cases ! dude, then how do they speak it?
Actually I had encountered such articles in Arabic and French but...but there wasn't neutral case and no reversed case either as it is in German for dative sentences.
----
The Fangirl.
04.05.2015 - 14:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Norge people
what is difference between Nynorsk and Bokmål?
anybody can give me same sentence writing in both and also maybe audio in YT where ppl speak in each separately
----

apos;'
[image]
06.10.2015 - 16:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
English test .... how much you understand... young lad, I 99,7% didn't get 3 words

https://www.facebook.com/BBCScotland/videos/vb.156400551056385/1167715976591499/?type=2&theater
----

apos;'
[image]
11.10.2015 - 17:25
Ernis
狼獾
Written by angel. on 24.11.2014 at 17:41

Written by Karlabos on 24.11.2014 at 17:11

oh my 6 cases ! dude, then how do they speak it?
Actually I had encountered such articles in Arabic and French but...but there wasn't neutral case and no reversed case either as it is in German for dative sentences.

Estonian has got 14 cases, Finnish has 15, Hungarian has more... I don't know the exact number (might be 20...)

kala (fish - nominative)
kala (fish's)
kala (fish - accusative)
kalasse (into fish)
kalas (in fish)
kalast (from within fish)
kalale (onto/to fish)
kalal (on fish)
kalalt (from fish)
kalani (until fish)
kalana (as fish)
kalata (without fish)
kalaga (with fish)

This was singular so you need the same cases in plural too which means you have to learn 28 word forms (there is a logic tho)... the hardest part is that there is almost no case system as in Russian, German or Latin where you can predict the right form by just knowing the gender and type of a noun... in Estonian words such as "praad" "laad" and "saad" are declined as "prae" "laadi" and... I don't know the genitive of "saad" tbh...

beautiful examples: "lüsi - nominative/löe - genitive/lütt - accusative" (snath), "süsi/söe/sütt" (coal), "susi/soe/sutt" (wolf)... and "kusi/kuse/kust" (urine) and "musi/musi/musi" (kiss)

So... all Indo-European languages (German, Russian, Persian) are fairly easy...

Oh yeah... found this example of Finnish word formation which completely beats German...

Järjestelmä - System
Epäjärjestelmä - Unsystem
Epäjärjestelmällisyys - Unsystematicality
Epäjärjestelmällisyydellinen - Something that is seen as unsystematicality
Epäjärjestelmällisyydellistyttää - To make something/-one be seen as unsystematicality
Epäjärjestelmällisyydellistyttämätön - One that hasn't made something be seen as unsystematicality / Something that hasn't been made be seen as unsystematicality
Epäjärjestelmällisyydellistyttämättömyys - The act of not having made something be seen as unsystematicality
Epäjärjestelmällisyydellistyttämättömyydellä - With the act of not having made something be seen as unsystematicality
Epäjärjestelmällisyydellistyttämättömyydellänsä - With his/her act of not having made something be seen as unsystematicality.
Epäjärjestelmällisyydellistyttämättömyydellänsäkään - Not even with his act of not having made something be seen as unsystematicality.
Epäjärjestelmällisyydellistyttämättömyydellänsäkäänkö - Is it not even with his act of not having made something be seen as unsystematicality.
Epäjärjestelmällisyydellistyttämättömyydellänsäkäänköhän - I wonder if it's not with his act of not having made something be seen as unsystematicality.
04.01.2016 - 15:26
nightwica

Well my native language is Hungarian. I speak several languages fluently, those include Slovak, German, English, Spanish, Polish, Russian and Finnish. I also studied Croatian and Lithuanian but only know basic phrases. Well, I actually understand a lot of Croatian because of my Slavic knowledge, and I couldn't tell the same about Lithuanian. I also took the first 6 levels of Swedish on Duolingo.

I would like to learn Greek, Italian, Faroese and Bulgarian/Macedonian.
04.01.2016 - 19:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nightwica on 04.01.2016 at 15:26

Well my native language is Hungarian. I speak several languages fluently, those include Slovak, German, English, Spanish, Polish, Russian and Finnish. I also studied Croatian and Lithuanian but only know basic phrases. Well, I actually understand a lot of Croatian because of my Slavic knowledge, and I couldn't tell the same about Lithuanian. I also took the first 6 levels of Swedish on Duolingo.

Kan du prata svenska? can you speak Swedish?
are your parents whit slocak origins what lives in Hun? Your generation hardly speaks rus there, well Slavic is easy and similar but why the hack Lithiuanian LOL

My choice would be scotish gealic
----

apos;'
[image]
04.01.2016 - 23:43
nightwica

Written by Bad English on 04.01.2016 at 19:47

Kan du prata svenska? can you speak Swedish?
are your parents whit slocak origins what lives in Hun? Your generation hardly speaks rus there, well Slavic is easy and similar but why the hack Lithiuanian LOL

My choice would be scotish gealic

Jag pratar inte svenska But some day I hope I learn!
No, actually the other way round. My family is Hungarian, but we live and have always lived in the area that now is called Slovakia.
Yes, my generation doesn't speak Russian anymore, but I like it and better for me, if less people speak it around me.

Well, I lived in Estonia for 4 months, and had the possibility to learn Lithuanian at a great teacher, also a Baltic language, which is cool. But my main reason is that this language is extremely interesting from a linguistic/ethymological point of view
05.01.2016 - 19:43
ANGEL REAPER

if you can speak croatian than more or less you can speak any ex-YU language...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.01.2016 - 20:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 05.01.2016 at 19:43

why ppl from Ser say they cant do Slovenian?
----

apos;'
[image]
05.01.2016 - 20:22
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Bad English on 05.01.2016 at 20:09

why ppl from Ser say they cant do Slovenian?

slovenian is a bit(well a bit more ) different than the rest ,cause of all that german/italian influences so it is harder for any other ex-Yu native speaker to speak it.

Macedonian is different than bulgarian but many people struggle to speak it. My native dialect is like a mix between serbian,bulgarian and macedonian (though i would argue it old slavic-serbian - archaic with some similarities to bulgarian/macedonian ) so i understand all of slavic balkan languages.I also learned Russian in elementary school so i understand almost all slavic languages with no problems. And yes slovenian is a one of bit harder to understand to rest of languages.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.01.2016 - 21:54
nightwica

Well I have troubles with Slovenian, actually But Slovak also helps a bit there.
05.01.2016 - 22:15
ANGEL REAPER

Written by nightwica on 05.01.2016 at 21:54

Well I have troubles with Slovenian, actually But Slovak also helps a bit there.

slovak is i believe the closest one to both croatian and serbian .slovenian is as i said before a bit odd compared to two.
----
06.01.2016 - 08:53
nightwica

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 05.01.2016 at 22:15

Written by nightwica on 05.01.2016 at 21:54

slovak is i believe the closest one to both croatian and serbian .slovenian is as i said before a bit odd compared to two.

Well thanks for explaining, I am pretty aware actually. I am just saying I am better understanding Slovenian with my Slovak AND with my poor Croatian THAN JUST with my poor Croatian. I had Slavic studies for 3 years as an undergraduate and I am extremely interested, so yeah, I believe to know some stuff Thanks tho
06.01.2016 - 16:55
ANGEL REAPER

Written by nightwica on 06.01.2016 at 08:53

Well thanks for explaining, I am pretty aware actually. I am just saying I am better understanding Slovenian with my Slovak AND with my poor Croatian THAN JUST with my poor Croatian. I had Slavic studies for 3 years as an undergraduate and I am extremely interested, so yeah, I believe to know some stuff Thanks tho

well than you should know better this language stuff than me.. i just speak them/understand them ... i dont actually know anything about that
----