Metal Storm logo
What do you think about the term "Sold Out"?

Original post

Posted by selken, 19.08.2007 - 06:06
All of we have used (or at least heard) the term "sold out", we know that is applied as a response of the dissapointment from old hardcore fans when their favourite bands change drastically their style of music, for both experimenting or reaching wider audiences, and obtain commercial success. What do you think about the term?, Is this correct? What makes you consider a band sold out?

We must keep in mind that many musicians have the music as their jobs, and thus, this is the way for them to put food on their tables, so we must consider why a band sometimes really NEEDS commercial success, I know this is not an excuse (read about Therion), but we must stay in the artists shoes to know what is really happening.

IMO, I don't like the term, for me, Metallica is the only "sold out" band, because of the Napster issue, i mean, they are millionaires, and were so at the time of the Napster issue and blah, blah, blah..... you know the rest.
27.02.2012 - 03:25
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 26.02.2012 at 22:16

Written by Guest on 24.02.2012 at 20:58
:thumbup:

Not a good idea to thumbs up comments of such nature when you're under 18.

Three years ain't that much, really. Fuckin' yippie.

You are 13, so...
27.02.2012 - 04:10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Please I'm begging you, change your profile pic
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.02.2012 - 05:40
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I think the term is overused and not correctly applied sometimes. Like calling Opeth's latest effort as "selling out".

Sometimes bands just want a change in their style and they happen to reach a wider audience.
And well, if a band wants to go mainstream and starts going for a more mainstream approach just for the money I guess it's alright in a certain aspect. Those guys probably grew up, had a family and need it for a living. I think that is better than to see them disband.

It's not like the older cds are going to vanish from existence, and they'll keep playing older songs live.
01.03.2012 - 03:50
Sentinel65

Written by Unhealer on 29.02.2012 at 05:40

I think the term is overused and not correctly applied sometimes. Like calling Opeth's latest effort as "selling out".

Sometimes bands just want a change in their style and they happen to reach a wider audience.
And well, if a band wants to go mainstream and starts going for a more mainstream approach just for the money I guess it's alright in a certain aspect. Those guys probably grew up, had a family and need it for a living. I think that is better than to see them disband.

It's not like the older cds are going to vanish from existence, and they'll keep playing older songs live.

This is what I was just going to say. If you dislike the bands new direction, don't listen to it, if you actually liked the band you would give them breathing room and allow them to experiment as they please. Don't get me wrong, Metallica & Lou Reed is utter shit, and i hate the album, but I don't call Metallica "sell outs", and even though Loutallica is awful, I can still respect them for doing what they want to creatively.
01.03.2012 - 15:35
mojo

"Sold Out", to me, just means a band or artist doing anything solely and specifically to make more money than they already do, rather than because their inspiration and creativity takes them there. It could be a change of sound, look or label, firing or recruiting members, or doing commercials. Whether anyone minds is entirely up to them and their attitude to integrity.

If it's a band who never made any bones about wanting to be rich and famous then whatever - I might not be a big fan anyway. But if it's people who've always made a lot of their own integrity (in some way or another) then I'd feel disappointed, I guess.

Personally, I hate seeing musicians / performers (or anyone else, for that matter) I thought I respected for their uncompromising vision or attitude, compromising for cash. But there you go. Maybe I'm (jeez, no!) old-fashioned, heh...
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
02.03.2012 - 07:39
naldrin

I actually think that the term sold out has been used and abused a little too much that it has lost its real essence to begin with. You often hear how people boast of this concert being sold out and all that only to realize that they have given all the remaining tickets that is they do not have any other tickets available on sale. I think that it would only quantify as sold out if all the allotted tickets for sale have been gone through on all aspects, not just patron seats or what not.
10.03.2012 - 05:50
Thrash83

I just hate the fact that when a band has been deemed to have "sold out" they are automatically deemed crap. Metallica's album "Load" for example. I really love that album, but most metalheads will call it shit just because it isn't metal. That's another factor in this, the tendency for a lot of metalheads to be closed minded towards most stuff that isn't metal.
25.03.2012 - 21:15
PiercingMetal

As I have observed it, when bands are labelled as "selling out", this generally starts from the long supporting fans who feel that "their band" is no longer their own and now belongs to a larger populace. I remember when "Master Of Puppets" came out, and only Metalheads were listening to them, and yet several years later with the "Black" album, one would find the guido types cruising in their Daddylacs up and down the avenue blasting "Enter Sandman" or "Everywhere I Roam". It was bothersome to have "that kind" suddenly appreciating Metal to us long time fans of the day and then you heard the band had sold out. I just used Metallica as an example since they are always tossed into this mix. I was once a musician myself and if selling out meant that I would be able to pay my bills and eat for another day then so be it. The music geography changes far too dramatically to let bands sit on one sound and one core audience. Just my three cents.
----
Ken Pierce - Editor In Chief
http://www.PiercingMetal.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PiercingMetal
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/PiercingMetal
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/PiercingMetalNYC
27.03.2012 - 20:45
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Selling out is for poseurs

----
28.03.2012 - 09:19
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Nosurper on 27.03.2012 at 20:45

GENIUS.

SPECTACULAR.

MINDBLOWING.

You have discovered neurobiology. Be proud!
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
28.03.2012 - 09:49
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by vezzy on 28.03.2012 at 09:19

Slow clap fail

----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
28.03.2012 - 13:46
Nosurper
Stinky Lips

Written by Nosurper on 27.03.2012 at 20:45

GENIUS.

SPECTACULAR.

MINDBLOWING.

Splendiferous. You know, it was a lot like this . But, really, the credit goes to Devin in the sig box; whom, without thoust wise words, thine undertaking hast kaput. Und eine frau und flee das realmgehbergen, YA
----
28.03.2012 - 13:50
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Spirit Molecule on 28.03.2012 at 09:49

Slow clap fail

Because I deserved it a second time. Watsup
----
28.03.2012 - 18:07
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Tbh Sold Out= everything related to that "thing" is been sold off completely as easy as possible.
28.03.2012 - 21:57
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 28.03.2012 at 18:07

Tbh Sold Out= everything related to that "thing" is been sold off completely as easy as possible.

Or this, well put
----
29.03.2012 - 02:20
GoldenGod2112

Metallica sold the fuck out.
28.01.2013 - 10:05
Monolithic
♠♠♠
A slightly overused term, and does not necessarily represent the quality of the music.
28.01.2013 - 14:06
Jtbmetal123

Its all about making money.
28.01.2013 - 19:46
Lit.
Account deleted
People who use/misuse/abuse/confuse/enthuse and all but defuse the term "sell out" are retards and/or poseurs.
28.01.2013 - 20:57
Dinruth

Well sometimes making music is a job .. if people want to get paid, let em .. if you don't like it, don't buy it .. no need to bitch about it
30.01.2013 - 21:25
Capt. Fluntas

I find it very disappointing when bands sell out, because, from a selfish perspective , I would like a band to keep on releasing amazing albums, if they're capable of doing so, because sometimes 1 or 2 masterpieces is just not enough...Realistically though, it's up to the bands themselves to decide what direction they want to take, we don't know what we would do in their situation

But hey, money is pretty tempting sometimes
----
Life is one big meme.
31.01.2013 - 02:21
Seita
Account deleted
I suppose the only way to say a band "truly" sold out is if one or more members of said band admits to going in a certain direction and/or doing something specifically to acquire financial gain? Other than this it all seems rather subjective. I generally don't look at artists as sell-outs, especially not in whole of underground metal.
10.02.2013 - 07:43
squidrick420

To me a sell-out is somebody who is willing to forsake their own principals in order to gain large amounts of wealth. It is a simple concept, commercial success does not mean your a sell-out, however being the record company's bitch and doing whatever they want you to is.
14.02.2013 - 08:41
Sinnercist

Seems to me the term means nothing more than the marketability of a band. Now, if you are a newly signed band, it probably means that you are the record label's bitch and they pull your leash so your music freedom will probably suffer (unless your music was already widely receptable before managerial mingling). If you are an old band who has lost its allure with the new, younger and more impressionable audience you probably will try to find new ways (ie: exploring or switching genre) to retain them. Unfortunately this comes at the expense of old fans complaining. At the end of the day, if your band is your main career then selling out (from monetary perspectives) is really not that bad. BUT if you want to retain musical integrity, then you're more likely die as a starving and unnoticed artist only to be discovered years post mortem. The days of pure talent being marketable unhindered are long gone.
----
From YOLO to LOLOL. You're welcome.
19.02.2013 - 15:27
whatsacow

It depends. I find a lot of people will attack a band if it gets popular, regardless of whether they changed or not. An example of this would be Opeth. They have in no way changed their style to appeal to a mainstream audience, and yet they still get ostracised for selling out. I think a lot of it has to do with the possessive nature of fans, that they found a band by looking for them, and then all of a sudden everyone likes them and they aren't special anymore. It's entitled and quite pathetic really.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
19.02.2013 - 16:27
theFIST

Written by Sinnercist on 14.02.2013 at 08:41

The days of pure talent being marketable unhindered are long gone.

you think such days existed?
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
19.02.2013 - 17:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I dont care if the band is "sold out" or not...i only care if i like the music or not...eg. i like Sabaton no matter how objectively "bad" they are, i dont like (maybe even hate) "new" Metallica...i should say - both is sellout - both sucks...but i dont...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.02.2013 - 20:21
Sinnercist

Written by theFIST on 19.02.2013 at 16:27

yes they did... before the internet and mass marketing.
----
19.02.2013 - 20:57
theFIST

Written by Sinnercist on 19.02.2013 at 20:21

Written by theFIST on 19.02.2013 at 16:27

yes they did... before the internet and mass marketing.

back then the labels and radio stations were controlling what got released unless the band members put in the money for vinyl or tape production, now with the internet there is finally an affordable way of independently releasing
a time in which anyone can put out stuff and customers select by the talent and quality out of everything that exists might be a hope for the future, but it was not a possibility of the past
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
19.02.2013 - 23:16
Sinnercist

Written by theFIST on 19.02.2013 at 20:57

back then the labels and radio stations were controlling what got released unless the band members put in the money for vinyl or tape production, now with the internet there is finally an affordable way of independently releasing
a time in which anyone can put out stuff and customers select by the talent and quality out of everything that exists might be a hope for the future, but it was not a possibility of the past

I'm talking about pre-labels. Labels became a marketing organization once investors figured out "hey we can bottle this and sell it" before this, musicians had to find sponsors and market themselves individually. This usually hinged on their ability to fill a venue. Before recording equipment this meant your talent and reputation had to precede you which meant it had to linger in someones mind for longer than what your composition initial took. Then again, I digress.

Technically most musician given talent alone can "sell out" even without involvement of record labels but that takes amazing organization skills (which most lack), networking skills, self promotion skills and some dable in publicizing.
----