Album: In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up
Release date: September 1990

01. The Missing
02. Deity
03. So What
04. Burning Inside
05. Thieves
06. Stigmata

Besides having the most appropriate title for a live album (in this case, an EP), "Incase You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up" showcases one of the most energetic live shows on tape. From the opening bruisers in the form of two beefed up songs off "Land Of Rape And Honey", you know you're in for a hell of a performance. "So What?" totally slows things down to a halt, although a live setting gives the anthem a very eerie atmosphere. Just one small inconsistency in an otherwise blistering set.

One distinctive attribute Ministry has on this recording is how they create a dense wall of sound with a wide assortment of guests. From having up to three vocalists shouting at once, five guitar players, and two drummers, things get pretty intense from time to time. At this point in their career, Ministry's trademark was their ability to create very precise music out of chaos. Something other bands fall flat on their face trying to duplicate. A perfect example lies in the nerve shattering performance of "Stigmata", which happens to be the highlight of the show.

Although a great testament to how much of a destructive presence Ministry has on stage, the EP is really lacking in representing what an actual show was like on the tour. Which was infamous for its' guests and having a few side project tunes grace the setlist, along with a few other live gems. A tribal drum duet, a cover of Skinny Puppy's Smothered Hope with Ogre on vocals, and Jello Biafra giving his own version of the Pledge of Allegiance. While having only six songs from a lengthy setlist does seem like too much of a tease, this is one of the most complete live albums you'll be sure to come across.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Joey Jo Jo | 12.08.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 29 users
22.08.2007 - 07:02
PrettyMao

I remember listening to this album so much back in the early 90s... I had it on cassette tape!

ahhh, the memories!

I gotta find that cassette tape... it is probably lost forever....
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
22.08.2007 - 20:18
theflyingmachine

I'm not a huge fan of Ministry, but I really love this album.
24.08.2007 - 04:40
Rating: 10
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I remember this being the album I would listen to all day when I worked as s dishwasher. Coupled with the job, that album made me experience 6 straight hours of pure hate.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
04.11.2009 - 04:19
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Damn classic.. first time i've heard and already addicted
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 5604 | This month: 14