Reviewer:

61 users:
Band: Mekong Delta
Album: Lurking Fear
Release date: August 2007

Disc I
01. Society In Dissolution
02. Purification
03. Immortal Hate (Accepting Prayers Of Supremacy)
04. Allegro Furioso [from "Five Fragments For Group & Orchestra"]
05. Rules Of Corruption
06. Ratters (Among The Dead)
07. Moderato [from "Five Fragments For Group & Orchestra"]
08. Defenders Of The Faith
09. Symphony Of Agony
10. Allegro [from "Symphony Nr. 10" by Dmitri Shostakovitch]

Disc II [Limited edition bonus DVD]
01. The Cure [Live In Frankfurt, 1991]
02. Transgressor [Live In Frankfurt, 1991]
03. True Believer [Live In Frankfurt, 1991]
04. Night On A Bare Mountain [Live In Frankfurt, 1991]
05. Memories Of Tomorrow [Live In Frankfurt, 1991]
06. Dances Of Death [Live In Frankfurt, 1991]
07. The Hut Of Baba Yaga [Live In Frankfurt, 1991]
08. Heroes Grief [Live In Frankfurt, 1991]
09. Toccata [Live In Frankfurt, 1991]
10. True Lies [Live In Frankfurt, 1991]

I discovered Mekong Delta in 1990 with "Dances of Death (and other Walking Shadows)". Back in time, it was my personal CD dealer (the older brother of my best mate) who gave this CD to me, and when you know that my favorite bands were Hard Rock ones (AC/DC?) but also the American Thrash Masters (Slayer, Megadeth?) you can imagine that I was a bit disturbed by this release? It was so unconventional, so "modern" and so technical that it was a bit hard to understand what it was really but with time I learned to enjoy it. Lately I heard that the band wanted to write a new album, and now ten years after "Pictures at an Exhibition", the mighty Mekong Delta is back with their new release "Lurking Fear"? the fans will not be disappointed?

You know what? Even if we're in 2007, Mekong Delta is still really atypical and the first thing that you'll discover when you'll listen to the new album is the "special" production. The guys chose to record it with the sound of the 80's, that's really weird at the first listening but with time it's cool because it's a bit like a real journey in the past. The ones who like modern sound will not be so happy with the production but if you like Mekong Delta's first albums, then you'll not be surprised and at the opposite it will probably remind you some good souvenirs.

But let's talk about the music now which is? pure Mekong Delta's music? We don't have anything really new on this release and the band still uses to play its own Progressive Thrash Metal. If you don't know how it can be, you have to imagine some clean but aggressive vocals in addition of some hyper complex riffs (played by Peter of the genius Theory In Practice) and fast tempos perfectly played by Uli Kusch. It's fast and frenetic and of course super complex with a ton of breaks and amazing guitars soli. But all in all, even if Mekong Delta produces a great album with this "Lurking Fear" I regret a bit that the band didn't take any risks. On a side it's just a good but classic album of Mekong Delta.

The ones who like progressive music will like, for sure, "Lurking Fear". This album is really good with a lot of impressive and technical songs (and even some covers of classic songs and the Star War main theme). It's perfectly played but also looks like a test a training. Don't be doubtful guys, we still love your sound and your music, so please be quick to release some other albums and this time, just be crazy! You know how to do it! Mekong Delta is back in town, hail to the masters of Progressive Trash!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 10
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 31.08.2007

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 58 users
31.08.2007 - 18:50
Darkside Momo
Retired
One of the best 2007 releases so far! This album is just exceptionnal, but the voice might be irksome to some.

"But all in all, even if Mekong Delta produces a great album with this "Lurking Fear" I regret a bit that the band didn't take any risks. On a side it's just a good but classic album of Mekong Delta."

Come on, being Mekong Delta is risky itself ! Nearly everyone here on MS seems happy that Atheist didn't release a new album 'to preserve the legacy'. Mekong Delta is as exceptionnal a band as can be Atheist, but Ralph Hubert did take this risk. And I personnaly think that the composition is even better ; not for all songs OK, but Defenders of the Faith !

Also, about the production, while sounding quite old school, is much better that the one on the old Mekong albums. I mean, it's the same overall sound, but all instruments are mixed equally and really shine through, which was not always the case before (the old albums have all been remixed and remastered and the difference is sometimes quite big between the old version and the new one, which sounds really like Lurking Fear)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
31.08.2007 - 21:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Great cover artwork by Eliran Kantor who also did the artwork for Detonation - Emission Phase.

I haven't check the album out yet because I have a feeling it will disappoint as muchas it did disappoint friends of mine who also happen to love Mekong Delta back in the day.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2007 - 22:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2007 at 21:00

Great cover artwork by Eliran Kantor who also did the artwork for Detonation - Emission Phase.

I haven't check the album out yet because I have a feeling it will disappoint as muchas it did disappoint friends of mine who also happen to love Mekong Delta back in the day.

You should check it notheless. The musicianship and songwriting is awesome.
BUT
You'll certainly have a HARD time with the vocals, with are sometimes, well, bad. I grew out of it, it seems, because this is my best 2007 album as of now.
----

I am awake"
02.09.2007 - 17:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Really? It's that good? In the Metal magazine I read it got several 2's and even some 1's in the reviews.
----
03.09.2007 - 12:46
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Warman on 02.09.2007 at 17:57

Really? It's that good? In the Metal magazine I read it got several 2's and even some 1's in the reviews.

I really depends on your tastes, I suppose.
As I said, the vocals are sometimes horrible, and you will probably have to listen it quite a few times to appreciate the music ... and overlook the vocals (I suppose that's the reason why journalists made a bad review, they don't have time). It can be a daunting task to some... The musicianship is well worth it however.
But a friend of mine already says it's the album of the year for him, and I tend to say the same thing. After all, I listen to really often by now.
----

I am awake"
03.09.2007 - 13:15
Darkside Momo
Retired
And, to everyone who would give a try on a few songs, I suggest listen first to thethree instrumentals (Allegro Furioso, Moterato, Allegro), and only then songs with vocals. Defenders of the Faith is, as I said, my favourite, but any would bo, I suppose, except Ratters, because the music is good but the vocals are horrible on this one.
----

I am awake"
04.09.2007 - 01:29
okt31
Account deleted
I think it hasn't to do with thrash too much. It's just technical power metal with a lot of crunch. The classical covers are also very nice. You know, power metal does not begin with Rhapsody and end with Sonata Arctica.
This is technical power metal with lot of heaviness. One of the year's top albums.
30.09.2008 - 04:40
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
aside from how the vocals are mixed, i think this is a pretty good album. if the vocals had more prominence and werent drowned out by the other instruments, this would be a phenominal album, in my opinion at least.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
17.01.2010 - 21:07
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Just finished listening this album the first time. Absolutely fantastic AND i have no problem with the vocals at all
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 6759 | This month: 4