Metal Storm logo
A Sad Day For Beer Lovers Everywhere- Michael Jackson Is Dead

31.08.2007 - 21:58
animal

Michael Jackson, The Beer Hunter, Dead At 65

Quote:
Michael Jackson, whose writing about beer literally changed what is in the glasses of beer drinkers around the world, has died. He was 65.

Jackson, universally known as The Beer Hunter, recently revealed that he suffered from Parkinson's disease and was battling other health problems. He remained active, speaking at beer and whisky events around the world and most recently addressing British beer writers before the Great British Beer Festival. He wrote about the past year in his last column for All About Beer Magazine, now available online.

Jackson began working for a local Yorkshire newspaper in 1958, when he was 16, having even earlier submitted news stories and jazz reviews. Working as both a writer and editor during the next 20 years he contributed to dozens of publications and also made documentary films. In his frequent travels he became deeply interested not only in drinking a wider range of beers, but how they were made and their origins.

Shortly after the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) rekindled interest in traditional beers in Great Britain in the 1970s, Jackson began to write more about beer.

He recalled in a 1996 interview:

"I had nothing to do with the starting of CAMRA, but I joined early on. I'd already traveled quite a bit as a journalist, and I'd tasted interesting beers in other countries. Particularly, I was very aware of the Belgian traditions and to some extent the German tradition. I thought, it's very good that CAMRA is fighting for British tradition, but what about the tradition of these other countries? I think the motivation was almost like the motivation of some of those musicologists like Alan Lomax who went down to the Mississippi Delta in the '50s and recorded old blues men before they died. I wanted to kind of record Belgian beer before those breweries didn't exist anymore. I certainly didn't see it as a career possibility, but I think all, or many, journalists have in them a sort of element of being an advocate."

He published his first book about beer, The English Pub, in 1976, but it was his second, the World Guide to Beer (1977) that dovetailed with a quite young beer and brewing revolution in the United States. The book became a bible for both brewers and drinkers reconnecting with traditional beer.

In the 30 years since his books about beer and spirits - he was as authorative writer about Scotch as he was beer, but this is a beer publication - sold millions of copies. His television documentary called The Beer Hunter remains a cult classic 20 years after it was compiled.

He considered himself a journalist first, but also took equal pride in the words he put to paper.

They are only part of what he left behind and that list is endless. The tributes have just begun. It is the only topic of import today in beer blogs, on beer discussion boards and in various e-mail lists.

Expect the flow of words to continue for months.

They won't be enough.

It's a sad day for beer fanatics everywhere, as the worlds leading beer expert passed away today. He played a large role in the microbrewing renaissance that has been sweeping America for years and years now. He once called Portland "Beer Nirvana". Raise a glass this evening for the worlds greatest beer lover.
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
31.08.2007 - 23:45
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Damn it! I thought you meant Michael Jackson the child molester. Anyway, it is sad that this Michael Jackson will be missed. He could have done a few more great things, but his body gave out on him.
01.09.2007 - 09:15
animal

Written by Guest on 31.08.2007 at 23:45

Damn it! I thought you meant Michael Jackson the child molester. Anyway, it is sad that this Michael Jackson will be missed. He could have done a few more great things, but his body gave out on him.

I'm still here and I'm hoping to continue his work.
----
01.09.2007 - 19:15
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by animal on 01.09.2007 at 09:15

I'm still here and I'm hoping to continue his work.

Godspeed, good sir. Godspeed.
01.09.2007 - 20:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by animal on 31.08.2007 at 21:58

Michael Jackson, The Beer Hunter, Dead At 65

Quote:
Michael Jackson, whose writing about beer literally changed what is in the glasses of beer drinkers around the world, has died. He was 65.

Jackson, universally known as The Beer Hunter, recently revealed that he suffered from Parkinson's disease and was battling other health problems. He remained active, speaking at beer and whisky events around the world and most recently addressing British beer writers before the Great British Beer Festival. He wrote about the past year in his last column for All About Beer Magazine, now available online.

Jackson began working for a local Yorkshire newspaper in 1958, when he was 16, having even earlier submitted news stories and jazz reviews. Working as both a writer and editor during the next 20 years he contributed to dozens of publications and also made documentary films. In his frequent travels he became deeply interested not only in drinking a wider range of beers, but how they were made and their origins.

Shortly after the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) rekindled interest in traditional beers in Great Britain in the 1970s, Jackson began to write more about beer.

He recalled in a 1996 interview:

"I had nothing to do with the starting of CAMRA, but I joined early on. I'd already traveled quite a bit as a journalist, and I'd tasted interesting beers in other countries. Particularly, I was very aware of the Belgian traditions and to some extent the German tradition. I thought, it's very good that CAMRA is fighting for British tradition, but what about the tradition of these other countries? I think the motivation was almost like the motivation of some of those musicologists like Alan Lomax who went down to the Mississippi Delta in the '50s and recorded old blues men before they died. I wanted to kind of record Belgian beer before those breweries didn't exist anymore. I certainly didn't see it as a career possibility, but I think all, or many, journalists have in them a sort of element of being an advocate."

He published his first book about beer, The English Pub, in 1976, but it was his second, the World Guide to Beer (1977) that dovetailed with a quite young beer and brewing revolution in the United States. The book became a bible for both brewers and drinkers reconnecting with traditional beer.

In the 30 years since his books about beer and spirits - he was as authorative writer about Scotch as he was beer, but this is a beer publication - sold millions of copies. His television documentary called The Beer Hunter remains a cult classic 20 years after it was compiled.

He considered himself a journalist first, but also took equal pride in the words he put to paper.

They are only part of what he left behind and that list is endless. The tributes have just begun. It is the only topic of import today in beer blogs, on beer discussion boards and in various e-mail lists.

Expect the flow of words to continue for months.

They won't be enough.

It's a sad day for beer fanatics everywhere, as the worlds leading beer expert passed away today. He played a large role in the microbrewing renaissance that has been sweeping America for years and years now. He once called Portland "Beer Nirvana". Raise a glass this evening for the worlds greatest beer lover.

Indeed very very sad news. Besides being an expert on beer he was also immensely knowledgeable on all things whisky/whiskey.

I met the bearded man in August 2006 at CAMRA's Great British Beer Festival and besides his passion for beer he was also great fun.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.09.2007 - 12:48
Hyvaarin

Damn it! I thought you meant Michael Jackson the child molester.

I thought he was talking about Michael Jackson the correctly-found-innocent pop legend. Heh, I guess we were both mistaken!

:
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
02.09.2007 - 14:55
Baz Anderson

Written by Hyvaarin on 02.09.2007 at 12:48

I thought he was talking about Michael Jackson the correctly-found-innocent pop legend. Heh, I guess we were both mistaken!

:

thank you!
03.09.2007 - 16:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Baz Anderson on 02.09.2007 at 14:55

:

thank you!

+1

i think i'm gonna check this guy out, i wanna be a beer connaiseur too
03.09.2007 - 18:48
GT
Coffee!!
Damn this is really bad news. Had one of his books and he was really a great author and as Marcel wrote he also knew a thing or two about whisky. He will surely be missed
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.09.2007 - 06:51
animal

:

When THAT Michael Jackson dies, it'll most definitely be PARTY TIME!!!!
----
03.10.2007 - 21:20
Lord TJ

Same here! I am not amused!
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
03.10.2007 - 21:26
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Lord TJ on 03.10.2007 at 21:20

Same here! I am not amused!

same here
03.10.2007 - 21:41
Lord TJ

But our amused
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
04.10.2007 - 04:16
Oracle
Orcinus
Haha i thought he meant Michael Jackson child molester too
I wish it was him instead lol. not trying to be mean but i just can't stand Michael Jackson (as in pop singer and Child Molester)
:
04.10.2007 - 04:19
Hyvaarin

Written by Oracle on 04.10.2007 at 04:16

Haha i thought he meant Michael Jackson child molester too
I wish it was him instead lol. not trying to be mean but i just can't stand Michael Jackson (as in pop singer and Child Molester)
:

For fuck's sake he was found INNOCENT. But hey, who cares about facts when he looks weird!
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
04.10.2007 - 04:23
Oracle
Orcinus
Lol really? I didnt know about that
he looks like a fucking woman. does he wear permanent lipstick? haha. also it looks like his nose is about to drop off.