01. Permanently Damaged
02. God And Man
03. Undefeated
04. The Deep And Dreamless Sleep
05. Twisted Wreck
06. Curse
07. Last Of The Wanted
08. Take What You Want

Twenty years after the creation of Meliah Rage, the band from Boston is still alive. "The Deep And Dreamless Sleep" is their new album and marks the return of the original drummer Stuart Dowie. Though, the singer is not Mike Munro but Paul Souza who uses to sing with Meliah Rage since some years now. If you like the band, I'm sure that you'll like "The Deep And Dreamless Sleep" even if I have some regrets with this album?

The sixth album of Meliah Rage follows, on a side, the recipe that the band has always used. "The Deep And Dreamless Sleep" is a mix of melodic Thrash and American Power and if you want to compare the band, I think that Rage should be a good name. On the other hand, "The Deep And Dreamless Sleep" is also really modern and the height songs all have some European Metal influences. For sure the Power Metal influences are a lot more present on the new release and to sum up, the new album is a good but really easy of access and commercial album. The fans of the last Rage will like this release but if you want something a bit aggressive, you'll probably be disappointed. "The Deep And Dreamless Sleep" is catchy but not so violent, and for a band which plays Thrash, something is a bit missing?

Also, "The Deep And Dreamless Sleep" is extremely short. With only height songs and 36 minutes of music, it's a bit "weird"? Two years after the release of the previous album "Barely Human" (a really nice album by the way) it's surprising to see that Meliah Rage is not able to compose some more songs and it smells a bit something which was done in a hurry? But at least the production is great and if you like the really commercial songs of Metallica (I'm not talking about "St Anger" but more about the "Black Album") of course you'll probably like this new release. It's easy of access but catchy and if you like the fact that the band clearly mixed Thrash with Heavy Metal, then you'll enjoy a lot "The Deep And Dreamless Sleep".

With this new album, Meliah Rage proves that they still know how to play good music. However I regret that the band didn't manage to write songs a bit darker and aggressive because "The Deep And Dreamless Sleep" is a bit too soft for me. In the end, "The Deep And Dreamless Sleep" is a pleasant album but for sure it will not become the best album of the combo. Have a look on it if you like the band though?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 31.08.2007

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 15 users
31.08.2007 - 23:48
Deadsoulman

I may give this a listen, as I absolutely love Solitary Solitude (released in 1990, one of the very good US power albums released between 15 and 20 years ago). The reference to the Black Album quite scares me though, it's not what I expect from these guys

Hits total: 4349 | This month: 9