06. Come Clarity
07. Vacuum
08. Pacing Death's Trail
09. Crawl Through Knives
10. Versus Terminus
11. Our Infinite Struggle
12. Vanishing Light
13. Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone

I don't know what happened to this band in particular, they never were that good neither though, but they used to be decent that's for sure (for example their album "Whoracle", which I sold for regrettable reasons), and now they became almost Metalcore. And before you all "In Flames" fanatics start spitting in my face let me explain a little more; Metalcore is a form of Melodic Death Metal which was created for Hardcore fans that wanted their genre to be more aggressive, so more o less is what In Flames stands for now, just with some complex guitar solos.

This time the music is just naïve and in one word "trendy", even the vocal work is annoying and weird, the clean vocalizations (for example in the choruses of "Reflect The Storm" and generally in the whole album) sound like an Emo kid singing the song he loves the most while watching the video on MTV. As far as the music goes, everything is a fuzzy riff with heavy harmonics and awful distortions also the drumming enters with simplistic and almost dull patterns, etc.; in the end the overall structure of each song is a catchy intro, ascending fillings in the middle then the chorus and a boring finale, nothing more nothing less.

A high point is "Dead End", I can't say that I know the name of that female vocalist, but she has a really familiar and beautiful voice, this feature at least made me open my eyes again and say "uh, that was interesting"; too bad the male vocals had to drown the beauty of this melodious feeling. Then everything gets back to normal beats, cheesy scales and one of the worst string jokes I've ever heard in an introduction (Come Clarity) which, by the way, was "dialogue with the stars" gone bad, so I guess when you're out of fresh ideas you just repeat what you or what others did correctly in the past; and I won't even say nothing about that Jonathan Davis Rip-Off from the same track, just hear it yourself; I swear I almost thought it was Jonathan doing guest vocals.

The album goes by and some riffs are decent some beats are horrid and the vocal work keeps that unpleasant Metalcore/Emo tone (I can't even explain how awful that voice is). What went wrong? Believe me I don't know, but it's such a disappointment because this is the first "2006" album I hear, and it was blatant immatureness.

Best Moments: unfortunately this album has no good moments; the female vocal work is decent at least.

Written by Herzebeth | 18.01.2006

Comments

Comments: 65   Visited by: 325 users
31.05.2006 - 15:04
Basso
Account deleted
I really liked the older In Flames (Clayman, Colony etc) But this album actually bored me to death. Kinda dull since I really liked their earlier work
01.06.2006 - 02:59
Stigmatized
5 may be a little generous...I mean for 2 good songs (Leeches and Pacing Death's Trail), the rating may be too high. It's like Basso said....this is boring.
01.06.2006 - 06:12
LethargyMan

Ahh... I remember this album...

... I also remember selling it.

I completely agree with the review, especially about the riffing and thus, oddly enough, clarity of the guitars. It's just more of a "wall of sound" than anything... and just because it's better than their past couple of albums doesn't necessarily make this a particularly good album.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
02.06.2006 - 10:27
Rating: 5
dark awakening

This is a shitty album. There are more solos than in STYE, but I preferred that album 'cause of the future atmosphere and the simplicity of attraction. Come Clarity doesn't say anything to the people who listen to it. In Flames' falling deeper and deeper.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
02.06.2006 - 17:54
Firewalker

well...I disagree with all, more that to be a In Flames fan I recongnize that the album is not very good but please...don´t compare and don´t say that this reminds me to this one or to other thing. I believe that the "critique" must be deeper and less superficial without so much fidelity to classifications. Also I believe that it is possible to me criticize the herzebeth´s critique of the album..or not??

And I end up saying: the album falls in mediocrity with a couple of inspirating moments for me but...please criticize the music itself, don´t compare with memoirs or memories.

JANA
22.06.2006 - 05:20
SepulchralOath
Account deleted
Bad cd. Ferret Records is an awful label. The end.
25.06.2006 - 14:31
lFrostl
Account deleted
Pffffftt...In Flames...Lunar Strain,Subterranean,The Jesters Race and Whoracle..in those times they were my heroes....
this Album bores easily
5 is a decent qualification for this crap.
28.07.2006 - 02:30
Mordack
Account deleted
It's not that bad, just not that good either. It pales in comparison with masterpeices like Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony. It's a shame that In Flames mysteriously decided to go in this direction.
07.08.2006 - 18:08
gojko88

I completely disagree with the review. I'm a dedicated In Flames fan and have ALL of their albums. And I like every single one of them. And I'm sick of the usual yada-yada about how they were so cool before and so boring now... This album is not a masterpiece, but it's an album well worth buying. The songs aren't death metal, so get used to it.

P.S. The female singer's name on "Dead End" is Lisa Miskovsky, a Swedish pop singer and lyrics writer. One thing is amusing though. Whenever there is a guest performer on an album, it's stated on the last pages of the booklet. If it is an ORIGINAL copy of the album, of course. And if you didn't know the name of the singer, that means that you people review PIRATE COPIES OF ALBUMS!?! Go ahead, delete my post No one likes the truth.
11.08.2006 - 01:30
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Some enjoyable moment....that solo in "Dead End" is awesome, reminds me a bit of the "Clayman" days - and then after that the song falls back into chugga-chugga mediocrity. Thats kinda how this album is for me...some inspiring moment where it feels like the old In Flames is trying to peek through the cracks and then just as u think "hell yeah" then it diminishes into a pile of metalcore annoyance...

5.5/10 from me
15.08.2006 - 12:11
Muskot
Account deleted
It's a pretty good album, but not really In Flames. I'm sorry to keep bothering you with comparisons, but they've lost too much of the characterizing (and great) sound they had on Colony and Clayman. This record is better than Lunar Strain and Soundtrack to Your Escape, but that's it.
06.09.2006 - 21:01
Rating: 5
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I liked Pacing Death's Trail and the last song (except from the metal part), otherwise it was kinda mediocre. I really like STYE though.
5.5 - 6 something out of 10 ^^
01.12.2006 - 04:28
ChristianMetaler
Account deleted
This cd is pure shit. 2 out of 10 by my standards.

How the hell does such a great respected band turn emo?
01.12.2006 - 10:08
Eight
Shapeshifter
Amen man! nice review
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
02.12.2006 - 20:17
Twist
Twisted Kid
I love this album! The last three songs aren't as good as the others,they sound a bit tired and repetitive. But man,the riffs are aggressive and have so much energy,the choruses are catchy and the sound is great. I didn't like Reroute To Remain and Soundtrack To Your Escape,but this is awesome. Doesn't beat my favorite album from In Flames,The Jester Race,but still kicks ass hard!
----
Is this where we suffer LOL
04.12.2006 - 20:28
Rating: 7
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Spot on rating, this is actually the only In Flames album I rate low, it's really boring, minus one or two good tracks.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
05.12.2006 - 17:56
Herzebeth

Written by gojko88 on 07.08.2006 at 18:08

you people review PIRATE COPIES OF ALBUMS!?! Go ahead, delete my post No one likes the truth.

WOOOOW...you're a genius indeed....do you read a lot?
----
05.12.2006 - 18:05
Rating: 6
Promonex
Cathemeral
P.S. The female singer's name on "Dead End" is Lisa Miskovsky, a Swedish pop singer and lyrics writer. One thing is amusing though. Whenever there is a guest performer on an album, it's stated on the last pages of the booklet. If it is an ORIGINAL copy of the album, of course. And if you didn't know the name of the singer, that means that you people review PIRATE COPIES OF ALBUMS!?! Go ahead, delete my post No one likes the truth.

You do know there are differences between ORIGINAL and PROMOTIONAL copies, don't you?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
07.12.2006 - 17:36
jadawal

As someone said above, In Flames were my heroes too back in the day of Whoracle and Jester Race, and now...their absolute garbage. The first few albums they released were all masterpeices in my mind, all 9's or 10's. And since the last few albums they released were pure shit, I don't even want to download this, nor buy it. I think if I listened to this album I would get stupider, and probably lose some IQ points, and I don't want their music influencing my music I write, so, fuck this album.
11.12.2006 - 13:57
gojko88

Written by Promonex on 05.12.2006 at 18:05

You do know there are differences between ORIGINAL and PROMOTIONAL copies, don't you?

Ppl, this was supposed to be A JOKE. Don't get all fired up like that...
14.12.2006 - 17:34
Shadow Of A Man
Account deleted
Listen to all you... this album is amazing... sure I prefer the older days Lunar Strain, Jester Race, Whoracle etc. But I love In Flames and they have never realeased a bad album everything they have ever done was amazing it it's own way... besides you are all hyopocrites think about it they've been around for over 12 years now... bands change get over it... because you know if all their albums sounded like the first you would complain that they're boring for that.... come on... I love this album as well as ALL the others...
20.12.2006 - 20:44
slayer_666
Account deleted
in flames r Melodic Death Metal
21.12.2006 - 05:23
Rupert

Shadow Of A Man's got a good point. Their change in style didn't change their quality, it just changed their style (I know it's an obvious thing to say, but some people tend to forget that). Different people like different styles and dislike others, so it's just a matter of taste. I thought they actually did quite well with this style, not that I enjoy it as much as other stuff though.
27.12.2006 - 08:25
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
I heard a few tracks and did not like them, although I listened to them very carefully. It is commercial without a doubt, it definitely verges on the more Nu-metal side of things, which is what also deterred me. What they've done here obviously won't compare to their older material, but hey, those days'll never be coming back any time soon.
27.12.2006 - 15:53
DLMokoma
Account deleted
I've only heard a couple of In Flames songs. I like Scream, maybe 'cause it's quite aggressive. I won't judge this album before hearing more of the old material.

This talk about their new style kinda reminds of Metallica's "experimental years"..
09.01.2007 - 17:11
Rating: 9
matthioso

Written by Guest on 14.12.2006 at 17:34

Listen to all you... this album is amazing... sure I prefer the older days Lunar Strain, Jester Race, Whoracle etc. But I love In Flames and they have never realeased a bad album everything they have ever done was amazing it it's own way... besides you are all hyopocrites think about it they've been around for over 12 years now... bands change get over it... because you know if all their albums sounded like the first you would complain that they're boring for that.... come on... I love this album as well as ALL the others...

couldn't have said it better
----
www.seedofrock.be
22.01.2007 - 20:00
X-FrEaK

erm...as a Korn fan i disagree completely... Jonathan Davis rip off? its impossible to hear Jonathan somewhere here..and i KNOW what im talking about lol :| please... i never liked In Flames that much, ive only fell in love with random songs, not a complete album, anyway im starting to hear Come Clarity and it sounds like metalcore's instrumental meets emocore's vocals...not a fantastic combination i might say
----
05.03.2007 - 06:06
BehindSpace336

I like all of In Flames all the way from Jester Race through Reroute to Remain(didn't care for lunar strain) and this album is complete emo/metalcore shit through my ears. The only songs I could listen to and somewhat enjoy were Pacing Death's Trail and Versus Terminus. The production quality sounds like it's being played through a radio station with a bunch of static.. They delivered more harmonized guitar lines and melodies like promised, but not very good ones.. I'd give this album a 4/10..
06.03.2007 - 17:16
Wollan
Account deleted
Ill think that some of you are wrong, why do you slaughter this album? Ill think its a great album!
My favourite songs on this album are reflect the storm, dead end and come clarity.
06.03.2007 - 17:23
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by gojko88 on 11.12.2006 at 13:57

Ppl, this was supposed to be A JOKE. Don't get all fired up like that...

Bad joke! You need to be banned. You offended the site!
Promonex! Ban him now with no further delay! XD
----
Bitch! Please

Hits total: 12002 | This month: 14