+ We Will Never Die [Live at Summerbreeze Open Air 2003]
+ Gone [Live at Summerbreeze Open Air 2002]

Doku
+ Fuchs
+ Volk - Man
+ Pit
+ Dr. Pest
+ Sir G.

German's Die Apokalyptischen Reiter might be one of a few bands that are somewhere close to original. Their Alternative Melodic Death with punk, reggae and oriental influences is very hard to compare with anything else.
And even if much of this don't interest me, I have to say that this album feels more "real" than their previous one.

"Have a Nice Trip" was a pretty decent album, but I never fell for it, so my expectations were that this album would be pretty much the same.
But when I started listen to it, I heard pretty early that this was different.
The previous album was more "brutal" than this, at least in the beginning, while this album starts with the song "Wansinn", that got almost a folk-sound in the beginning.

But sure, "Samurai" is, in the roots, a Death Metal album, but with all the other influences, the final picture shows so much more. Only by mixing English and German lyrics, the album rise a bit. But it's mainly the influences from other genres that make this so special.

Danish Tue Madsen produced "Samurai" during some strange weeks in Denmark, and you'll hear very early that both the band and Tue had a great time recording this, because their happiness has infected the whole album. So that part is maybe the strongest.

I won't keep on talking for ages about all strange influences, I'll let you judge whatever this album is worth your well saved money. I can just recommend you to at least check them up, you won't get just one kind of genre, you'll get so many. Each song is so different from the other so you'll have all the variation you'll need.

Check Out: "Eruption", "Silence of Sorrow", "Reitermaniacs", "Lazy Day" & "Roll My Heart".

Written by Malcolm | 09.01.2005

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 34 users
08.09.2007 - 22:39
Baz Anderson

their second best album currently in my opinion - this is a great album
the wide influences speak for themselves

you don't mention "Die Sonne Scheint" though, they made a video for this song - and it is easily the best song on the album. good, catchy and typical Reiter style
09.09.2007 - 00:26
Rating: 8
Promonex
Cathemeral
Especially if you understand the lyrics

I guess it's their newest effort you're indirectly referring to when naming "Samurai" as their second best?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
09.09.2007 - 18:43
Baz Anderson

Written by Promonex on 09.09.2007 at 00:26

Especially if you understand the lyrics

I guess it's their newest effort you're indirectly referring to when naming "Samurai" as their second best?

haha, well I figured it's about the sun shining out of one's rear end.. but you will have to explain it to me.. hahaha

yes indeed, their new album is my favourite - hopefully the new new one will be even better..
my preference of their albums is generally on a slope going from the newer down to the later releases
11.09.2007 - 19:11
Rating: 8
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Baz Anderson on 09.09.2007 at 18:43

[...] the sun shining out of one's rear end.. [...]

Does it have the same proverbial meaning in English as in German? That is, you feel great when you got the sun shining out of your ass?

And for me All You Need Is Love is definitely their best album! Their newest is great as well, after all it got me into their stuff (Samurai failed at that back then), but somehow I prefer that raw, aggressive Reiter-style of their early albums over the playful, singalong Reiter-style of their last few releases.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
11.09.2007 - 19:36
Baz Anderson

Written by Promonex on 11.09.2007 at 19:11

Written by Baz Anderson on 09.09.2007 at 18:43

[...] the sun shining out of one's rear end.. [...]

Does it have the same proverbial meaning in English as in German? That is, you feel great when you got the sun shining out of your ass?

And for me All You Need Is Love is definitely their best album! Their newest is great as well, after all it got me into their stuff (Samurai failed at that back then), but somehow I prefer that raw, aggressive Reiter-style of their early albums over the playful, singalong Reiter-style of their last few releases.

haha, well not exactly.. I think here if you say that the sun shines out of someone's arse - it means that everything goes right for them - you know.. everything goes right for them

yeh, I was listening to "All You Need Is Love" a few days ago and it's a good album but it just seems unnaturally grim to me.. hahahaha
I prefer the catchy stuff they did on the last two albums
hopefully the new one will be in the same style.. it should be

I am still sooooo looking forward to the DVD as well

Hits total: 3812 | This month: 4