05. Finally Me
06. Tears Of Sorrow
07. The Black Well
08. Beat It [Michael Jackson cover]
09. Another Transition [feat. Lars F. Larsen]
10. Burning Doll
11. Matrioska
12. Butter-Fly [Japanese bonus]

"Flies & Lies" is the new album of In Flames! Oops, no sorry, my mistake I wrote In Flames but wanted to write Raintime. How could I confuse a band from Sweden and one other from Italia? Well maybe because the second one plays exactly the same kind of music than the first one don't you think? Yes, let's be serious two minutes now, "Flies & Lies" is really similar to the last albums of the Scandinavian monsters with however some really little differences which are not enough to give a lot of originality to this release. The fans of the genre will like this album, the ones who want something new will say that it's just a simple copycat? As you want?

Musically speaking "Flies & Lies" is really similar to In Flames that's right. The combo from Italy plays a good Gothenburg Death with all the ingredients of the recipe. Yes, you'll find some hyper melodic riffs, yes you'll find fast tempos and yes you'll find hyper commercial choruses too? This is not bad but when you know that all the songs have a length of four minutes and that all the songs are really easy of access and seem to be perfectly done for an audience who don't want a lot, I'm a bit disappointed by the release. I say it again, it's not bad on a side, the musicians of Raintime are good and the little touches of Heavy Metal (especially with the clean vocals) that we can find on the album are interesting but that's not enough. It should be better and of course a lot more original.

The lack originality of this release is my main problem. The more I listen to the album, the more I believe that Raintime is able to play something better. I'm sure that they're able to add some more personality to their songs and if they really want to become famous, they will have to add their own touches to their music. They can do it, and it's not the good production and the great artwork which will calm me down now. Raintime, you're able to write something original and personal, wake up!

The fans of the lasts In Flames will have to check this release but if you're looking for originality, just go away, "Flies & Lies" is not for you. To sum up, we're in front of a good but totally unoriginal album, have a look on it and maybe that you'll like it (probably if you like such music) but let's hope like me that the band will be able to react and write something different when they will release their next album. After all this is only their second release and good things will maybe come with some more musical maturity.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 05.09.2007

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 99 users
09.09.2007 - 04:10
WarriorOfMetal

the guitar sound, production, vocals, and composition are better than the last 3 in flames albums. i don't think it's a particularly valid comparison anyway, as it's not *that* similar stylistically, either, imo.
09.09.2007 - 08:54
brclmu

I completely disagree with this comparison of Raintime to In Flames. The former is more progressive than In Flames, they are also more industrial, they use more clean vocals than In Flames do, and they are considered by most to be power metal, and by many to be progressive power. In flames is melodic death metal....In Flames isn't progressive either. I hope people don't trust "Jeff". I hope they go and have a listen themselves. He's right about good things coming still though. Raintime have only released 2 albums so far and both have been very good. In Flames have been on the down and out for a while now.
17.09.2007 - 20:02
Rating: 9
Rusher

I agree with brclmu, except for that In Flames comment at the end. Talking about this album from Raintime, it's amazing, perfect score in my opinion, even the MJ cover came out nicely!

"Finally Me" (track #5) is mind-boggling!
09.03.2008 - 19:35
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
Why does everyone hate the melodic death genre? Just because it sounds like another band? This band is unique enough for me to enjoy but Norther and Amon Amarth those are a different story. I mean I listen to many genres but this still sounds fu*king excellent and its still unique in its own way. I'd say 9/10
10.03.2008 - 11:50
Rating: 7
b0000mst1ck

beat it, beat it. beat it, beat it. no one wants to be defeated.

pretty good band. i don't think anyone could've redone a michael jackson song as well as they did. on top of that, they write pretty good music. it isn't your typical run-of-the-mill stuff, so it's always nice to listen to when you're tired of the same old crap. 7.5/10
24.12.2008 - 01:26
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Yeah I usually take any reviews written by "Jeff" with a pinch of salt because he rarely knows what he talks about. "Raintime" doesnt sound ANYTHING like In Flames, since when is In Flames progressive powermetal with soaring clean vocal chorusses? You seriously need to LISTEN to the albums before writing reviews... so do that next time and maybe we'll get more accurate reviews from now on...

In conclusion: Dont listen to Jeff, Raintime isnt an In Flames copy whatoever, way more progressive and if there ARE some In Flames influences its probably along the lines of "Pinball Map" from the classic "Clayman" album in 2000 - which in my book isnt a bad thing.

Awesome progressive powermetal, with cunning little melodic twists and turns along the way.
9/10
19.05.2009 - 10:00
Italics

Right Jeff... because all other categories of metal (Black, Death, Power, Orchestral, etc.) don't all sound exactly the same either.

I have to join with everyone else and say that the In Flames comparison is complete BS. This is like the people who compare every melodic Finnish band to HIM or Entwine... you question if they've ever even taken the time to listen to the bands.

I enjoy this album very much. It's nothing spectacular, but it's still very good and very catchy.

Why is being accessible such a sin here on metalstorm? Does everything have to sound like chaotic noise and pure shit to be true metal?

8/10
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
06.07.2009 - 22:31
Rating: 8
lord artan

Thank you Jeff for this review
this album very good
16.03.2010 - 04:04
Rating: 9
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
This review seems to have its focus on the title track, which is the most Swedish Death-influenced. Most tracks have nothing to do with In Flames, though, and the prog power is everywhere. And the clean vocals are 80's heavy metal, not cheesy teen metalcore like IF... Flies & Lies is a great prog Gothenburg album, particularly the title track, Tears Of Sorrow, The Black Well and the Michael Jackson cover Beat It. No In Flames track has beautiful keyboards like The Black Well or soaring choruses like Tears Of Sorrow.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....

Hits total: 8051 | This month: 6