Metal Storm logo
Favourite Music Format

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 09.09.2007 - 23:01
Once upon a time you could only buy your music on a 12" or 7" vinyl, but then modern technology brought us the wonders of the smaller cassette tape, and from then we now are dominated by CDs.

So which format of music do you purchase your music in? Forget mp3 websites, I am only concerning tangible formats of music here.

-Vinyls, LPs, records, whatever you want to call them - they are the daddy of the modern music format - large card packaging with large artwork, usually the packaging opens out and there might be a huge booklet if you're lucky as well. Unfortunately there are some problems whilst playing, you can't pause them for example also you cannot record onto them and they may be a little fragile as well. Some people seem to think they sound better than CDs, but this discussion can be re-opened in here if you like as well.

-The tape, it was smaller, lighter and you could record your favourite songs off the radio without anyone knowing (learning to predict when the guy would stop talking so you can press the record button at the right point). Unfortunately you never could fit a good booklet in, and the audio quality wasn't the best after a few listens as well as the possibility of your tape player actually eating the tape inside the cassette.

-Now we have the CD, small, light, reasonable sturdy, fits a maximum of 80 minutes and can even be bought blank to let us burn our own audio onto them. With the CD we are able to easily skip tracks and do all sorts of other things being digital lets us do.

I think it's pretty obvious the CD will win in this poll but the main interest lies in the discussion as to why one prefers the humble vinyl over the CD for example. Tapes seem to be extinct these days, but music is still today released onto vinyls as well as CDs.

Does the grand feeling of placing the needle on the edge of your spinning LP nullify the convenience of being able to pause, fast-forward and skip tracks, do you like the.. boxy qualities of the tape (yeh, I couldn't think of anything good about them either), or does the modern technology of the CD win it over for you?

Also - what will be next after the CD, or will we be using these foevermore?

Poll

Which do you prefer?

CD
Vinyl
Tape

Total votes: 79
11.09.2008 - 00:32
Abattoir

Yea, I vote for CD too, cuz I have never listened to any vinyls...but I would love to. It's quite a problem to get/buy a vinyl anywhere around.
The tapes, nowdays, are mostly no longer in use...
11.09.2008 - 00:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Abattoir on 11.09.2008 at 00:32

Yea, I vote for CD too, cuz I have never listened to any vinyls...but I would love to. It's quite a problem to get/buy a vinyl anywhere around.

It may be different where you live, but I find most big cities have vintage music shops where they sell old Vinyl, thew trouble is finding specific albums on vinyl.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.09.2008 - 00:53
Abattoir

Written by Doc G. on 11.09.2008 at 00:35

It may be different where you live, but I find most big cities have vintage music shops where they sell old Vinyl, thew trouble is finding specific albums on vinyl.

Probably there is somewhere in the corner of our main city a store/or music shop with vinyls But till now I didn't find it yet. As you already
mentioned there would be quite difficult to find most wanted albums...

Well, the second option would be probably the easiest thing to get it...web-shops. But, is it worth of it ?
11.09.2008 - 00:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Abattoir on 11.09.2008 at 00:53

Written by Doc G. on 11.09.2008 at 00:35

Probably there is somewhere in the corner of our main city a store/or music shop with vinyls But till now I didn't find it yet. As you already
mentioned there would be quite difficult to find most wanted albums...

Well, the second option would be probably the easiest thing to get it...web-shops. But, is it worth of it ?

Depends who you ask, and what your set-up is like. If you've got a top-notch sound system with a nice player, then you'll be blown away by the sound, but if you dont it will probably be nothing special, and not worth the effort.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.09.2008 - 01:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BloodTears on 10.09.2008 at 14:03

...I haven't really heard a Vinyl cd in my life,

Neither have I. And I am 100% sure that no-one inthe world has heard a 'vinyl cd'
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2008 - 02:12
Jason W.
Razorbliss
You know, back when I was getting into music in the mid/late 1980s, I never once heard the term "vinyl." I always called them "records," or maybe, LPs. I only started hearing the term vinyl when bands stopped releasing things on vinyl - then it became a new term to my ears, sometime in the 90s - and when all the older college kids who thought they were cool raved about "vinyl" being better.

At first - I really agreed. The original releases of CDs for bands I had on vinyl (Whitesnake being one I remember) sounded like crap on CD. The volume was too low, and the presence of bass or anything heavy was just gone. Now that I realize that CDs really haven't matured until the now 24bit processing standard, I realize that I was right - for a time.

But yeah, records/LPs are great for original releases from pre-CD days I think, but of course they are impractical and must be cared for because they cannot be duplicated. Tapes I still like in terms of the physical format, but they always sounded bad, always were a bit "off" and most of the time had this warping effect that just destroys all enjoyment for me, no matter how good the player is. I do keep a stock of blank tapes though, as I enjoy the nostalgia of using them while in the garage where the sound quality is not so important

CDs just happen to be the dominant form of digital physical forms - they are terrible in their design though, as they scratch easily and still cannot be left in the sun for too long. I have a few store purchased CDs that now have "rot" on the outside, meaning they will soon disintegrate and no longer play perfectly.

Honestly, I hate physical formats. I DO enjoy the booklets in the "A5 digibook" size - or DVD size. But for this poll - I take CDs any day. The sound never degrades and with 24bit mastering, the sound is bigger than anything vinyl/LPs have ever offered for me personally.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
11.09.2008 - 10:48
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.09.2008 at 01:15

Neither have I. And I am 100% sure that no-one inthe world has heard a 'vinyl cd'

I meant a vinyl you silly! And I'm sure you have!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.09.2008 - 13:45
Hamird
Lieutenant

I have a "cd tape"... (joking)

I think in 21st century it's reasonable to use cds...
But there is one thing, Tapes have a special atmosphere.. I like it.. Psssssssssssssssssssssss, the sound in the background.. That's interesting for me. And of course reminds me my Sepultura tapes..
13.09.2008 - 17:52
Janne
Hugin
I prefer CDs since I have nothing I can play tapes and vinlys with.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
14.09.2008 - 08:31
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Humm chosing one of those, I'd have to go with CD's. But in reallity, my favourite format is mp3.. actually I give much value to cd's, so everytime I buy a cd I convert it to mp3 to my hard disc, and I listen to the mp3. This also gives me liberty to transfere it to my mobile and carry it with me. Also in the car, I prefer to spend a cd and burn it with 6/7 albums.. this way I don't have to change the cd.. just the folder
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
14.10.2012 - 11:01
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally think CDs are easier to keep in good condition than the other formats, and they are the only one of the three formats which you can upload on to your computer and make into MP3.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.10.2012 - 11:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by CobiWan1993 on 14.10.2012 at 11:01

, and they are the only one of the three formats which you can upload on to your computer and make into MP3.

Mmm cassettes and vinyl can also be be transformed into MP3 and vinyl extremely easily nowadays with the USB record players which are on the market and extremely good.

Hell, it just takes as long as a song/album lasts for it to become a MP3 (or whatever format) when you convert it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2012 - 11:40
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2012 at 11:37

Written by CobiWan1993 on 14.10.2012 at 11:01

, and they are the only one of the three formats which you can upload on to your computer and make into MP3.

Mmm cassettes and vinyl can also be be transformed into MP3 and vinyl extremely easily nowadays with the USB record players which are on the market and extremely good.

Hell, it just takes as long as a song/album lasts for it to become a MP3 (or whatever format) when you convert it.

Oh really? Interesting, I was thinking there might have been something to convert the other two formats but I wasn't so sure.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.10.2012 - 11:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by CobiWan1993 on 14.10.2012 at 11:40

Oh really? Interesting, I was thinking there might have been something to convert the other two formats but I wasn't so sure.

I got a USB record player a month ago as farewell present from colleagues
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2012 - 07:06
Branzig

Vinyl baby! Nothing sounds better!

I collect, I love, I cherish!
----
In Grind We Crust
15.10.2012 - 13:51
doreen

Definitely CD.
15.10.2012 - 14:14
Wargus
Account deleted
Voted for CD, most of my collection consists of CDs. It's easier to put on. I also buy vinyls once in a while.
15.10.2012 - 16:34
ANGEL REAPER

This pool is incomplete ...where are semiconductors ? hard-drives ? come on ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.11.2012 - 13:41
Hoff

CDs easily have the best quality and are more convenient, but at the same time they're cheap trash, still voted for CDs (even though I don't have any and all of my music is on my HDD)

Vinyl records are decent quality at best, but there's something comforting about having a physical copy with you that can withstand an electromagnetic pulse from a nuclear explosion

Tapes are trve
----
Mildly Clever
05.11.2012 - 18:01
Lit.
Account deleted
CDs. Vinyls are large, cumbersome, expensive and generally not worth it if you have an easier way to listen to something. Good as collectables maybe, but that's it.
Tapes... Won't even go there. May as well be collecting 8-tracks.
05.11.2012 - 22:56
Edmund Fogg

Physical: Vynil. I always go at my dad's house to listen to them.
Digital: FLAC. Mp3s just lack essence, detail and "purity"
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
07.11.2012 - 03:51
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
CDs are the most practical and modern and in terms of being able to hear the music on as many devices as possible the most easily, it wins. I haven't experienced a lot of vinyl, but tapes really aren't awful either, I mean at least even though they sound terrible you can usually listen in a car or on many stereo systems. Vinyl may sound great but so do CDs and you just can't play them on anything except a record player, and so few people have those.
10.11.2012 - 02:10
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I voted for CD, cause that is what I have, and what I am listening to. But I am sure that the vinyl is good (that's what most vinyl-persons are saying at least)!
10.11.2012 - 02:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

5" record?

Close enough
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.11.2012 - 02:19
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Cd's but I like tapes just for the history. Same with Vinyls.

Just bought a Walkman, and I'm asking for a turntable for Christmas. So I've been buying mroe tapes and 7"er's because they're dirt cheap.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.11.2012 - 12:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.11.2012 at 02:17

5" record?

I habe one of those anoying little things. A COffins split. If you have an automatic turntable it is impossible to play a 5" because the needle immediately goes up when it hits the vinyl. ANother annyoance is that there is zero to no run in groove.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996