Metal Storm logo
Celtic Frost

Original post

Posted by Judas, 31.05.2006 - 17:55
I'm honoured to open up the official thread for the Swiss Metal Gods, Celtic Frost. This band is arguably one of the most influential in the development of modern forms of Extreme Metal. They never stagnated, weren't afraid to experiment, and to this day remain committed to pioneering new ground. This is evident in their newest release, 'Monotheist', their first after a 14-year hiatus.

Anything that relates to this great band, its members and their releases, can be said in this thread.

To get started, I'm going to post my thoughts on 'Monotheist'. I got it yesterday, and after a few listens (it takes more than 1 to digest it fully) the musical scope has really hit me in the face. It might not be as revolutionary as their 80s masterpieces ('Morbid Tales', 'To Mega Therion', 'Into the Pandemonium') but it is much more focused in it's direction. 'Morbid Tales' and 'To Mega Therion' were full of a raw, primal rage, while 'Into the Pandemonium' sprawled into multiple genres, with each song having a unique take on things, but 'Monotheist', while a weighty 73 mins, is much slower, darker and dirge-like. The sound can IMO be described as a Doom-filled Death Metal, with Ambient and Industrial touches here and there. It's very hard to explain, you must hear it for yourself.

Comments anyone?
30.05.2007 - 17:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 21.04.2007 at 01:45

I consider myself a Celtic Frost fan, and think Into the Pandemonium is their best release (though I haven't heard To Mega Therion yet, also I haven't heard Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis but from what I've heard of them I doubt if I'll ever check them out) as its songs were very varied, especially liked the more beautiful songs like Mesmerized, also my favorite songs on Monotheist are the calmer and more beautiful A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh, Obscured and Drowned in Ashes. I got Monotheist only recently and have to say it's probably one of the most nihilistic records I've heard, you can just sense this nihilism and pain in the music, which is really beautiful in a way. Also I like the ugly guitar sound, and think that when it comes to sheer darkness, this band can top most black metal bands in their own game. Celtic Frost is one of those bands I enjoy listening the most when I'm feeling kind of sad, and because I'm a rather melancholic person I end up listening to Frost quite often

Great post, I truly agree with alot you wrote. Don't bother to listen to Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis, they're shit! But do check out To Mega Therion if you haven't already done that! That's their best album IMO, but I think you'll still prefer Into the Pnademonium if you're more into the beautiful songs.
All Extreme Metalheads must've heard the three first albums by Celtic Frost IMO, they're classic monuments!
----
31.05.2007 - 15:54
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Warman on 30.05.2007 at 17:47

Written by Guest on 21.04.2007 at 01:45

I consider myself a Celtic Frost fan, and think Into the Pandemonium is their best release (though I haven't heard To Mega Therion yet, also I haven't heard Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis but from what I've heard of them I doubt if I'll ever check them out) as its songs were very varied, especially liked the more beautiful songs like Mesmerized, also my favorite songs on Monotheist are the calmer and more beautiful A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh, Obscured and Drowned in Ashes. I got Monotheist only recently and have to say it's probably one of the most nihilistic records I've heard, you can just sense this nihilism and pain in the music, which is really beautiful in a way. Also I like the ugly guitar sound, and think that when it comes to sheer darkness, this band can top most black metal bands in their own game. Celtic Frost is one of those bands I enjoy listening the most when I'm feeling kind of sad, and because I'm a rather melancholic person I end up listening to Frost quite often

Great post, I truly agree with alot you wrote. Don't bother to listen to Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis, they're shit! But do check out To Mega Therion if you haven't already done that! That's their best album IMO, but I think you'll still prefer Into the Pnademonium if you're more into the beautiful songs.
All Extreme Metalheads must've heard the three first albums by Celtic Frost IMO, they're classic monuments!

I don't get it how people always paint Vanity/Nemesis with the same brush as Cold Lake. While I, like the rest of the world, despise Cold Lake as an abomination, I really quite enjoy Vanity/Nemesis. I think it was a fresh sound, and it atoned for Cold Lake as well as anything could.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
31.05.2007 - 16:26
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Their latest release, Monotheist, I have to say is one very impressive release. I was using elements of it the other night during a game of Dungeons & Dragons. The music, well, frankly it scared the shit out of the other people playing. I also mixed in Sunn O))) & Boris Alter and some Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

But that is the only Celtic Frost album I own. What else should I look at getting?
----
(space for rent)
31.05.2007 - 16:32
baldur
Written by Dane Train on 31.05.2007 at 16:26

Their latest release, Monotheist, I have to say is one very impressive release. I was using elements of it the other night during a game of Dungeons & Dragons. The music, well, frankly it scared the shit out of the other people playing. I also mixed in Sunn O))) & Boris Alter and some Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

But that is the only Celtic Frost album I own. What else should I look at getting?

the first two releases are very important^^
31.05.2007 - 16:58
Warman
Erotic Stains

Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion and Into the Pandemonium.
----
31.05.2007 - 17:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Judas on 31.05.2007 at 15:54

I don't get it how people always paint Vanity/Nemesis with the same brush as Cold Lake. While I, like the rest of the world, despise Cold Lake as an abomination, I really quite enjoy Vanity/Nemesis. I think it was a fresh sound, and it atoned for Cold Lake as well as anything could.

Vanity/Nemesis is of course not nearly as bad as Cold Lake of course. But I still dislike Vanity/Nemesis. The sound is much softer and I do hate the vocal style Warrior's using in it.
----
31.05.2007 - 20:03
Markku
Account deleted

If you prefer more alternative and innovative stuff check Into the Pandemonium, the first albums are more extreme dirty thrash. But none of the mentioned is like Monotheist, that's a totally different kind of album.
01.06.2007 - 19:30
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes indeed - if you like 'Monotheist' it doesn't necessarily mean you will like the other albums..
Celtic Frost re-invented themselves again when they made 'Monotheist' - it is very different to their other albums

indeed as Markku has said though - if you like kind of dark sounding thrash metal then definitely go for the first two albums 'Morbid Tales' and 'To Mega Therion' - they are fantastic in my opinion
01.06.2007 - 20:15
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Warman on 31.05.2007 at 17:03

Written by Judas on 31.05.2007 at 15:54

Vanity/Nemesis is of course not nearly as bad as Cold Lake of course. But I still dislike Vanity/Nemesis. The sound is much softer and I do hate the vocal style Warrior's using in it.

I like Vanity/Nemesis, not as much as the first two and Monothiest but a good release nonetheless.
Cold Lake like most would agree sucked.....
I think Celtic Frost should continue there new sound in their next album, Monotheist = Epic.
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
13.06.2007 - 17:00
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Tom Gabriel Fischer was recently interviewed on Triple J's "Full Metal Racket". You can listen to the interview in streaming audio by clicking here. Enjoy.

Ha, I was going to forget the interview begin at 1h46min in the time bar .
14.06.2007 - 08:52
Judas
The Amputator
Goddammit, they're playing tonight in Melbourne, and I can't go... Why was this 'tour' of Australia restricted to two shows in faraway cities? Though Sodom last night rocked, so I can't complain too much.
----
14.06.2007 - 11:51
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Judas on 14.06.2007 at 08:52

Goddammit, they're playing tonight in Melbourne, and I can't go... Why was this 'tour' of Australia restricted to two shows in faraway cities? Though Sodom last night rocked, so I can't complain too much.

IMO Celtic Frost >>>> Sodom
So you suck ass man though you have seen Celtic Frost before.....
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
15.06.2007 - 19:08
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Another inteview of the band are online now. This time is on MetalKult.com which has posted a new video interview with Celtic Frost's Thomas Gabriel Fischer and Martin Ain. You can watch it here. Enjoy.
01.10.2007 - 22:39
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Metalkult.com has posted the final installment of its four-part, interview with Thomas Gabriel Fischer and Martin Eric Ain on the group's groundbreaking 1984 album "Morbid Tales".
In this four-part, 25 minute interview, Fischer and Ain talk about their formation in the cold-war Eighties, the gear they used to conjure Morbid Tales' "inhuman" sounds and how they inadvertently created one of the one of extreme metal's most influential albums.

You can find the four parts at this location.
02.10.2007 - 10:47
Woutjinho
Account deleted
I have been listening to Morbid Tales very often lately. good stuff
06.10.2007 - 10:03
mankvill
Love the Frost. Can't wait for new album.
06.10.2007 - 18:14
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I've recently been playing mostly Celtic Frost on guitar (Sorrows of the Moon, Return to the Eve) and their songs are really great to play, they are simple but not in a boring way, it really makes me feel good to play these songs, they're just that great and have a very cool vibe to them.
06.10.2007 - 22:03
mankvill
Written by Guest on 06.10.2007 at 18:14

I've recently been playing mostly Celtic Frost on guitar (Sorrows of the Moon, Return to the Eve) and their songs are really great to play, they are simple but not in a boring way, it really makes me feel good to play these songs, they're just that great and have a very cool vibe to them.

I hope you're not playing anything from Cold Lake!
06.10.2007 - 22:39
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by mankvill on 06.10.2007 at 22:03

No I'm not playing anything from Cold Lake
Actually I haven't even listened to it.
07.10.2007 - 05:52
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Guest on 06.10.2007 at 22:39

Have mercy upon your ears, keep your 'Cold Lake boycott' going.
----
07.10.2007 - 07:23
mankvill
Written by Judas on 07.10.2007 at 05:52

Written by Guest on 06.10.2007 at 22:39

Have mercy upon your ears, keep your 'Cold Lake boycott' going.

Yeah. A Boycott would be good.
13.10.2007 - 10:36
Murder
yeah!!!! I'll see them tomorrow with Finntroll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this will be fucking great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14.10.2007 - 02:05
rageing atheist
Account deleted
That's an odd combination, Celtic Frost and Finntroll.
16.10.2007 - 07:16
mankvill
Written by Guest on 14.10.2007 at 02:05

That's an odd combination, Celtic Frost and Finntroll.

Totally.

I hope Murder comes back and tells us the setlist!
16.10.2007 - 07:22
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Murder on 13.10.2007 at 10:36

yeah!!!! I'll see them tomorrow with Finntroll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this will be fucking great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, how was it?
----
18.10.2007 - 11:03
m3ta1he4d
I've been listening to Into The Pandemonium again recently.. I love the track Babylon Fell..
18.10.2007 - 16:42
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I love every track from that record. Well maybe not One In Their Pride. Or maybe I do love it after all. Anyway I finally got To Mega Therion two weeks ago, and though I haven't listened to it that much yet, it seems that I still prefer Into The Pandemonium.
17.11.2007 - 08:15
Sonsofsabbath
I AGREE THAT MONOtheist is more doomy then previous releases. I have been listening to CF for about 6 years,my favorite song is mexican radio from parched with thirst I am dying, I love the fake crowd noise, but I am just not sure if its truly live or not. It's a cover song. By the way I know everyone bashes cold lake including Tom Warrior, but I like it especially once they were eagles, so there.
26.11.2007 - 11:11
Woutjinho
Account deleted
bought re-issued Morbid Tales yesterday which features dethroned the emperor as well
26.11.2007 - 20:47
mankvill
Re-Released Hellhammer Demos!