03. Slaget Vid Blodsälv
04. Skogens Hämnd
05. Jaktens Tid
06. Bakom Varje Fura
07. Kitteldags
08. Krigsmjöd
09. Vargtimmen [Hedningarna cover]
10. Kyrkovisan
11. Den Hornkrönte Konungen (Rivfaders Tron)
12. Aldhissla
13. Tomhet Och Tystnad Härska

So here it is, Finntroll's sophomore effort, considered by many to be Finntroll's greatest work to date, from a band which always has a special place in my heart. There later album "Nattfodd" along with Opeth's "Still Life" are the albums that got me accustomed to harsh vocals, which in turn opened the doors for alot of musical enjoyment in the extreme metal side of things.

I put myself back into the mindset of when I was a naive 15 year old just discovering metal, seeing a Finntroll CD on the shelf, the artwork was so neat I had to get it. From my first listen I was amazed at the uniqueness of the music, the mix of extreme metal and folkish synth (as well as real folk instruments) and "joiking" or "yoiking" courtesy of Korpiklaani's Janne Järvelä seemed so groundbreaking to me, and still does to this day.

....And now about the music. As necessary as with any Finntroll album there is the 2 minute or so intro, building atmosphere aswell as incredible anticipation because that 2 minutes seems to crawl on for a lifetime before fading into the real opening track 'Födosagan', which builds into a really groovy rythm, which brings me to my first of few faults with the album, maybe its just me but I think a more instantaneously intense song should have been put immediately after the intro (they did this perfectly in the opening track to "Nattfödd"), something like 'Kitteldags' which breaks into a heavy and catchy riff which carries the song would've been great (but by all means 'Födosagan' is still a great track). Lets just say 'Födosagan' did not grab me from the get-go and I would've missed out if I was not a patient man.

As previously stated this is a very unique record, as with any Finntroll album. The final setback I find about this album is the times when the music feels a little stale, filler so to speak. Luckily the filler never comes in full songs, more in periods, there is not one song on the album I would call filler but sometimes they seem to not have a good riff to put in certain places and it gets a little tedious.

To those few who still aren't familiar with Finntroll I highly recommend this album or "Nattfödd" if your in for a very unique and fun experience. For those who have already listened to Finntroll but not this album I would recommend it, its not a big leap from anything else they've done so you won't be in for any unpleasant surprises.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by Doc G. | 09.09.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 158 users
10.09.2007 - 15:40
Rating: 9
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Agree with you man, this is a very good album, though "Nattfödd" is better in my opinion... good review!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
23.03.2008 - 12:21
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Great album, the first Folk metal album i've ever heard... this album is very special, put me into the extreme folk, now i'm addicted
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
04.12.2008 - 23:51
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
This album seemed to use the keyboards much more predominate than nottfod, but it seems a little tacked on at times though, and perhaps just looses a sense of feeling (even though I don't understand Finnish language). Pretty good album 7.5/10
05.12.2008 - 16:46
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Paradox0 on 04.12.2008 at 23:51

This album seemed to use the keyboards much more predominate than nottfod, but it seems a little tacked on at times though, and perhaps just looses a sense of feeling (even though I don't understand Finnish language). Pretty good album 7.5/10

The language of the album is not finnish... It's swedish.
As far as I know every song that they have made is in Swedish.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.12.2008 - 17:07
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.12.2008 at 16:46

Oh wow, completely forgot about that one. One of the silly inanities within the metal scene I propose.
05.12.2008 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Paradox0 on 05.12.2008 at 17:07

Oh wow, completely forgot about that one. One of the silly inanities within the metal scene I propose.

O well, never mind. It's not your fault if you don't know a word in finnish or swedish
I think it's a interesting fact about the band. The first vocalist Katla [also one of the founders of the band] had swedish as his first language. [10% of Finland's inhabitants speak swedish] and he also said that swedish was way more "trollish" that finnish so he thought it was better to do the songs in swedish.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.03.2009 - 16:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Slaget Vid Blodsälv is awesome song
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.08.2011 - 04:03
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Great album. The Humppa fusion is very good. The vocals are very great, reminiscent of Ensiferum's vocalist. Riffs are catchy, and everything does its' job the way it should. Recommended.
21.08.2011 - 21:24
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted

Written by Paradox0 on 04.12.2008 at 23:51

Lol, it's in swedish?
21.08.2011 - 22:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 21.08.2011 at 21:24

Lol, it's in swedish?

Read my explanations above to see why it's all in swedish.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.08.2011 - 00:10
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.08.2011 at 22:48

Written by Guest on 21.08.2011 at 21:24

Lol, it's in swedish?

Read my explanations above to see why it's all in swedish.

Ah, thanks.
21.10.2016 - 01:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
About artwork I know my friend non metalheda actually bought Ct shirt because of this artwork lol
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6533 | This month: 12