05. Gaia
06. I Within I
07. Behind The Open Door
08. Ashen Sky
09. One Foot In Both Worlds
10. Veil Of Deceit
11. Wake Me
12. A Day Of Difference

Vanishing Point doesn't have a lot of releases (only 4 with the new album) but they're already a famous and respected band. In 2005, "Embrace The Silence" received a big number of positive words and I'm quite sure that many people are waiting a lot the new release of the Australian combo. "The Fourth Season" is out now and if you like the previous album, I'm sure that you'll enjoy a lot this new one... However I have to say that it could be better and I will try to explain why.

As I said in my introduction, if you like "Embrace The Silence" you'll probably like "The Fourth Season". The new release of Vanishing Point follows the way of their previous album, which means that the music of Vanishing Point is still a mix of dark symphonic Power Metal (a la European sauce) with some touches of Progressive music. On a side it's not bad at all especially if you like all the European bands (Nightwish, Sonata Arctica etc) which play this kind of Symphonic Power Metal but they have also (and that's the force of the combo) some little touches of Progressive music a la Evergrey. It's not something complex a la Symphony X but the keyboards give some really nice ambiances and all in all it's always good to listen to some kind of "different" Power.

But what is wrong then? Well, I'm a bit disappointed by the too important influences of the European Power which is not in my opinion a good thing. I mean that it is (or was?) trendy sometime ago but too many bands chose to play this kind of music and it's sad to see that Vanishing Point seems to want to absolutely follow this trend. It's not a good thing because I think that the Progressive side of the combo is a lot better than its Power Metal side which is average and can even become boring in the end. Vanishing Point should continue to play Power Metal if they want but they should try to find a real demarcation with the European bands. A lot more of anger and power and some more Progressive and complex lines should be perfect. By luck the band seems to write music a bit darker and depressed and that's great but they should follow this way, just add some more progressive stuff and for sure it will become famous. Right now it's great if you like European Power but if you want to listen to original Prog Metal it will not be for you.

The fans of Vanishing Point will not be disappointed by this new release but all the ones (like me) who were expecting something a lot more Progressive will not find something so special with "The Fourth Season". It's not bad, it's ok to listen to this release but obviously Vanishing Point didn't chose to play the best kind of music and honestly I think that they're able to do something better.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 13.09.2007

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 64 users
13.09.2007 - 21:52
Rating: 9
SteTech
As a massive VP fan, I am barely disappointed by this album. The only let downs are the last two tracks. Wake Me has a weak chorus, and Day of Difference is a rather bland ballad compared to their other ballads, the lyrics are pretty poor for their standards, though I do like the voice sample, really adds to the atmosphere. Anyone know which movie it's off?
24.09.2007 - 22:01
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Vanishing Point has posted online several audio samples from its new album, "The Fourth Season".

'Embodiment'
'Surrender'
'Ashen Sky'

Also you can find watch Vanishing Point video for the song "Surrender" (taken from "The Fourth Season") here.
01.10.2007 - 16:41
Rating: 10
Rusher
Just got this CD and I'm amazed by their music! Now it's time to check out if their previous albums are as good as this one...
10.02.2008 - 19:48
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
best damn album I heard in 2007
----
20.06.2008 - 22:22
Arçaliz
Account deleted
Great album in my opinion. One of the best in 2007. I'd give it 9.5/10.

Hits total: 9978 | This month: 4