04. Dirty Window
05. Invisible Kid
06. My World
07. Shoot Me Again
08. Sweet Amber
09. The Unnamed Feeling
10. Purify
11. All Within My Hands

Metallica's 2003 release, St. Anger, will most likely always be considered the low point of the bands discography. I'm not sure if I can completely agree with this. I personally believe Load and Reload are worse albums. Mind you, St. Anger is absolutely not a fantastic release. It rambles, has some bad tracks, and sometimes you wonder "what are they doing?" (listen to Hetfield's moans in Invisible Kid). But the album does have energy, something the band has had on about 3 tracks on the last 2 studio discs.

Highlights are "Frantic" and the title track, among others, and the darkness of "Some Kind of Monster" is another highpoint. Other good tracks are "Shoot Me Again", "Sweet Amber", and "All Within My Hands". The others simply have good moments but miss the mark of a great song. This album will always will be looked down upon due to the drums, the sound, and the omission of guitar solos. However, I am willing to guess that this album just may be one of the more important ones the band has ever released.

This album could very well be the first large step the band has taken in a while to making quality music again. The album has great riffs, the best they've done in 10 years. Imagine if this album had better production and guitar solos. I am willing to bet it would be held in higher regard than Load and Reload. Perhaps over time, the respect for this album will grow. Depending on the greatness of the next album, fans may end up realizing St. Anger for what I believe it is: a hopeful step in the right direction.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 4

Written by | 10.09.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
The Silent Man
Rating:
Six long years after the release of ReLoad, Metallica come back on the scene to show their 8th studio album, St. Anger. Many of you have almost lost all the respect for this band since the release of the black album, many others hate them because of Load and ReLoad and some others have now lost every interest in their music. Actually, what can you all expect from the band who left its early amazing style to get fame and glory on MTV?

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (145)

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 61   Visited by: 345 users
16.01.2020 - 05:56
Rating: 3
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ralle on 15.01.2020 at 19:21

It's better to make bad album then copy/paste album ( without fresh ideas ).

I would argue otherwise, but to each their own.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 8664 | This month: 13