Metal Storm logo
Album collection - Only original or burned CDs too?

Original post

Posted by iaberis, 14.09.2007 - 10:28
Now that Ivan has added this amazing new feature in the site, tell us, what kind of albums do you add and do you think that other people should add too.

P.S.: People with cassettes can consider them as albums too, either original or copied!

Poll

What kind of albums do you add in your colletion?

Only original CDs/Vinyls I have.
Not only these too, but also downloaded.
Both original and burned CD-Rs.

Total votes: 176
18.02.2011 - 04:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Dark Cornatus on 18.02.2011 at 00:32

...what is the point in buying albums these days. It makes a cool collection sure, i didn't want to stop my collection from growing because i felt it was the right thing to do and it was cool. Now i see it as a waste of money and clutter. Who actually uses the hard copy cd anymore? Or read the booklet when you can just go to www.darklyrics.com?

I buy albums to support the band and the label their signed to, as I don't attend shows. I prefer the physical copy of the album as it lets me feel more of a "connection" to the music - I bought it, I legally own it, I supported the band that created it, etc.

And websites only offer lyrics. Oftentimes booklets offer far more than just lyrics, and again, it's a matter of knowing you actually have the album in its physical format. Whether or not it's cool or regarded as cool I don't know and could care less; although I'm not a collector per se, I would like to be, but only for the bands I'm supporting, not for myself.

As for the clutter issue: I have plans to create an art project out of my CDs and vinyls. I'll have my walls covered in vinyl albums and my CDs will be arranged in their own plaque-type bins that I'll set up like shelving units, so I definitely don't consider it a waste of space. (Even if I didn't have those projects in mind, simply filling a few CD racks wouldn't kill me.)
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.02.2011 - 18:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.02.2011 at 04:50

Oftentimes booklets offer far more than just lyrics, and again,...

True, for instance the thankslist where they mention bands they like. Good tool to check out new unknown bands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.02.2011 - 19:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Booklet is awesome it feels great to put real CD on player take some beer and and look at booklet
Damn I wish I could take all my muisc whit me, I dont wanna ut cD on lugadge drop oj aiport and hand bag is to small, and DHL is way to expenice ,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.02.2011 - 00:45
Luneth
Account deleted
Only the albums I can listen to from the start to the finish and enjoy. When I get a job...whenever that may be, I may be more lenient.
19.02.2011 - 02:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Only albums Ive bought and physically own are put in my collection. I don't count an illegal download as "owning" an album.
19.02.2011 - 02:55
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite

...what is the point in buying albums these days. It makes a cool collection sure, i didn't want to stop my collection from growing because i felt it was the right thing to do and it was cool. Now i see it as a waste of money and clutter. Who actually uses the hard copy cd anymore? Or read the booklet when you can just go to www.darklyrics.com?

I buy albums to support the band and the label their signed to, as I don't attend shows. I prefer the physical copy of the album as it lets me feel more of a "connection" to the music - I bought it, I legally own it, I supported the band that created it, etc.

And websites only offer lyrics. Oftentimes booklets offer far more than just lyrics, and again, it's a matter of knowing you actually have the album in its physical format. Whether or not it's cool or regarded as cool I don't know and could care less; although I'm not a collector per se, I would like to be, but only for the bands I'm supporting, not for myself.

As for the clutter issue: I have plans to create an art project out of my CDs and vinyls. I'll have my walls covered in vinyl albums and my CDs will be arranged in their own plaque-type bins that I'll set up like shelving units, so I definitely don't consider it a waste of space. (Even if I didn't have those projects in mind, simply filling a few CD racks wouldn't kill me.)

Good response. I know exactly what you mean with the first line about connecting with the music as it used to happen with me. However, it doesn't anymore because i'm just not into music like i used to be. The last 50 or so albums i bought were put straight onto the computer with one quick flick through the booklet and then put into a cd rack never to be touched again. I still attend gigs when i can (i don't live in the city anymore so it is harder). I agree with you statement on supporting the bands, however, i do think that it depends on the person and how much they are actually into the music. I am glad i haven't bought anything recently because most stuff i hear now is so 'done before' or just boring. Not sure if it just my changing tastes or i have just listened to the stuff for too long. It is also probably why i now listen to a lot of technical death metal or experimental stuff.

Your art idea is great!
19.02.2011 - 13:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.02.2011 at 02:25

Only albums Ive bought and physically own are put in my collection. I don't count an illegal download as "owning" an album.

There is no sence in elegal download like own, own if you have CD or etleast coppy of it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.07.2011 - 10:24
JD
Account deleted
I only add the album that I've listened to, so I pretty much add everything original, burned CDs, and downloaded albums.
29.07.2011 - 11:23
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule

If you like supporting bands, you should actually attend their shows and buy merch more than just collecting CD's
I'm sure it works the same way in the US. Bands make more money from merch sales and gigs than they do from anything else. So if you really support a band, head out and catch them live, buy a tee or whatever merch they have as well.
I would like to own albums that i like, but its quite tough to get anything i like here. So what i do is every year I save up a bunch load of money and buy mostly merch from the bands and ship it here or to a friend coming down from the states. Since I'm into alot of sludge and stoner and the scene has a lot of great art with their tees, I tend to buy quite a few. I've noticed that tees are a lot more publicity for the band than a cd, coz the cd is going to be lying on your shelf. Whereas if your friend or some random person sees they might check the band out and possibly end up supporting the band as well. But thats just me

Oh and I really haven't put up my collection, its not much. Its mostly bands from here and a few international artists. But I think a collection should be only original CDs, not stuff that you've downloaded or burned.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
29.07.2011 - 13:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
It's hard to explain why I buy CD:s. To me there's something special about the physical attribute. A song feels like something much more when it's on CD in my shelf, not just a digital thing on the internet. It's almost something spiritual to look at my collection. It's something special to sort them out out, put them in a new order and such (watch "High Fidelity" and you know what I mean).

And of course, I also buy albums because I collect them. Why the hell would I otherwise own like 40 Iron Maiden CD:s, 5 of them being shitty best of's.
----
29.07.2011 - 14:49
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Cds aren't available where I live so I download everything off the internet. It's either download off the internet or no metal at all.
05.10.2012 - 18:49
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I used to download a lot, but nowadays that's taken a backseat, since I buy much of my CDs on Amazon. If I'm really desperate to get a new album on time though, there is a local CD shop that I go to for that.

I have a few burnt CDs, but the MP3 on them was purchased on iTunes and Amazon.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
20.12.2012 - 04:00
I listen to nothing but CD's, although I've never burned any. The only one I did was one off of the old Halford site.
20.12.2012 - 05:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I like Cd's and Vinyls simply because I'm a collector, they look cool on my shelf too. Only Original CDs/Vinyls/cassettes are in my collection.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.12.2013 - 08:43
I will just point out an often forgotten point here. Yes, bands make more money off merch than they do CDs. But they have to sell a certain amount of CDs before labels/promoters are going to print merch and put them on tour to sell it.