03. Chapter II
04. Chapter III
05. Chapter IV
06. Chapter V
07. Chapter VI
08. Chapter VII
09. Chapter VIII
10. Chapter IX

Three years after the release of their elegiac and magnificent "Omnium Obmutum" Estatic Fear returned with another album filled with intense emotions and inspiration. The name of it "A Sombre Dance" and for one more time this Austrian act managed to give a title fitting with the atmosphere of the compositions in the most ideal way. Indeed the album is "a sombre dance" while you lose yourself dancing, manoeuvring in the esotericism of melancholy and visions that come forth from tales of medieval sorrow and grief.

When the time comes to compare "A Sombre Dance" to "Somnium Obmutum", the first in terms of song structure is for sure more affected and every single passage is well-thought and well-put, showing that the band has matured a lot in these three years. The variety of the instruments participating remains wide and the instrument interpretation on "A Sombre Dance" is better, with every member of the band and guest musician pouring themselves in the final outcome. Of course the folk touch has remained and it is vivid mainly in the acoustic passages.

The compositions this time have a Haggard approach and they are less doom metal oriented, but don't think that Estatic Fear have become a Haggard rip off band, there's no way that this would happen, they just lend some elements from their sound and that's all. Another influence someone may notice is Loreena McKennitt that seems to have spread her seeds in the band as well (just listen to "Part I", if the vocal lines and structure won't remind you of Loreena McKennitt then I don't know what to say). This time the rhythm section is vivid in the sound of the band, but still it doesn't hold the ideal place in the production, but it's definitely better than on "Somnium Ombutum" and lends a more dynamic approach to the compositions. The guitar work for one more time is utterly inspired and high quality. The classical guitar passages are just fabulous and they lend the album a fragile and dreamy or melancholic feeling whereas the distorted guitar riffing makes the overall atmosphere more powerful.

The orchestral passages are highly inspired and come straight from the heart. The piano and the keyboard melodies evoke a dark and melancholic romanticism or a more vivid and intense atmosphere in the air, the flute lends its magical touch as well in the structure of the songs and every other classical instrument partaking in the overall outcome does its best to make the emotions deeper. The female operatic vocals this time are being used more and they are more affected, whereas the male vocals remain grunting, sounding in a way distorted at times, making the emotional charge more intense.

"A Sombre Dance" cannot be separated to pieces, it flows as one and its compositions have a connection the one with the other. So, the best thing you can do is relax with a bottle of good wine and let yourself lie somewhere in the dark medieval woods of melancholy. Let yourself dance "a sombre dance" and pour your soul to that beautiful yet doleful waltz...

Written on 22.12.2005 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 270 users
14.09.2007 - 17:17
Rating: 10
poetry

a perfect album...pure melacholy..
24.01.2008 - 23:32
Corwin

One of the two best albums in the world! this one and Somnium Obmutum!

I've got the original cd. It's awesome. Matthias Kogler is so talented.
----
12.02.2008 - 19:59
Death_Shant
Account deleted
9.3 is very low! this album is better than that!
15.02.2008 - 01:24
W-Lash
Metal Master
After Somnium Obmutum this sounded like total shit.
25.08.2008 - 00:02
Metal Symphony

estatic fear is the 21st century mozart!!! matthias has to be famous just like old times and should be remembered by our grandchildren!!!:P
----
What is the meaning of this conspiracy,
The conspiracy that God has offered me,
Clinging me to the hands of insanity,
Concealing me in a lifetime fond of misery.
22.12.2008 - 13:27
Sunioj

This is an amazing album. I really need more albums like to listen to... I don't get MS labeling them as symphonic death metal. When I think symphnonic dm, I think someting like Luciferion... not that I care.

Great release.
27.06.2009 - 12:48
annodomini

Written by Metal Symphony on 25.08.2008 at 00:02

estatic fear is the 21st century mozart!!! matthias has to be famous just like old times and should be remembered by our grandchildren!!!:P

Well i Can't agree on this. Because there are few melodies that are reaaranged from other famous classics, so they just took some ideas and rewrote them. So they gave nothing like Mozart. But album is a masterpiece.
----
the riddle wants to be...
01.07.2009 - 21:10
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
This album is making history for sure:banger:
17.07.2009 - 21:43
Devilspeed

Should have gotten a 10.
23.11.2009 - 19:49
cobrapel
Concept One
After Somnium Obmutum this sounded like total WONDER.
21.02.2010 - 22:11
Vonpire

This was the greatest finding of the year 1999. It's a perfet album, filled with beautifull melodies and athmosphere. And the way all those marvellous instruments fit within each other is a must. A Sombre Dance is a bautifull and haunting history from start to finish.

One of the best albuns ever for sure.

10 +
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
23.03.2011 - 16:11
Aeonfrost

Perfect review, a fantastic album, deserves a perfect 10, every instrument blends perfectly together, creating a wonderful atmosphere.
15.06.2011 - 13:36
Draugen

This album is without a doubt my favorite of all time. It's just pure perfection.
15.06.2011 - 16:01
Metal_4Ever

I think that "Chapter IX" best song in that album
I hope for this band to come back with a new great album.
26.10.2012 - 14:22
Rating: 9
advent

A perfect album.

Where is the band now by the way, i see that they are still active but 12 years without any album??
03.11.2012 - 14:34
KwonVerge
Odysseus
They might surprise us all of a sudden, who knows
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
03.11.2012 - 16:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by advent on 26.10.2012 at 14:22

A perfect album.

Where is the band now by the way, i see that they are still active but 12 years without any album??

Actually according to MS, they disbanded right after the release of this album.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.11.2012 - 19:11
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
I remember they posted an update not so long ago that they are working on new material, so I think they're still active in a Virgin Black way
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
06.01.2013 - 22:12
CyberSymphony
Ollie
This album is a magnificent piece of art, only a very few albums have reached me with powerful emotion like this. 10/10 for sure.
20.02.2013 - 20:17
armageddon

Truly wonderful album, full of emotions. The instruments blend together so well. And great review by the way.
----
"Whenever you're pissed off, just remember that it's better than being pissed on"
19.07.2015 - 22:37
Qanea

A Masterpiece!
----
A mist descended, kissed her and fled
And all that's before been just and fair
Shattered in a rain of crystal shards
Each of them a cry

Hits total: 12240 | This month: 23