Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest more influential?

Original post

Posted by Dam3k, 01.06.2006 - 00:14
Well there are two of the most importants bands of all time in the metal scene, but which one do u think is more influential? Give reasons and explain. I think Judas Priest has been more influential in the US metal than in the european one, on the other hand I've been noticed about lot of european bands with influence of Iron Maiden, so I can't decide =). Well... maybe this two bands haven't been very influential for death metal or black metal bands but IMO they've been in thrash, power, progressive and heavy even hard rock. Choose one!!

Poll

Which band do u think has been more influential 4 metal scene??

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Can't decide

Total votes: 457
07.01.2014 - 14:48
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2014 at 14:38

why would you say that? I would say Priest is way more influential on metal both musically (the twin guitar attack) and imagewise (with the leather and studs) than Maiden.

Iron Maiden is much more well-known so many have already heard them I think more than Judas Priest, and also their music is more accessible for broad range of different fans, there are even fans for them outside of metal pool, and I think that Iron Maiden more or less has been always on a good state musically, but Judas Priest had some real setbacks at some points.
----
The Fangirl.
07.01.2014 - 14:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by angel. on 07.01.2014 at 14:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2014 at 14:38

why would you say that? I would say Priest is way more influential on metal both musically (the twin guitar attack) and imagewise (with the leather and studs) than Maiden.

Iron Maiden is much more well-known so many have already heard them I think more than Judas Priest, and also their music is more accessible for broad range of different fans, there are even fans for them outside of metal pool, and I think that Iron Maiden more or less has been always on a good state musically, but Judas Priest had some real setbacks at some points.

it isn't about who has the 'best' albums (btw Maiden released some total crap too) or who is more accessible or more well-known it is about being INFLUENTIAL. Judas Priest directly influenced iron Maiden (which Maiden ahs said over and over).

Hellhammer for example is total shit (just like Venom) and also almost not really known yet (and only released one e.p. and some demos) one of the most influential bands ever when it comes to extreme metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.01.2014 - 15:17
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2014 at 14:58

it isn't about who has the 'best' albums (btw Maiden released some total crap too) or who is more accessible or more well-known it is about being INFLUENTIAL. Judas Priest directly influenced iron Maiden (which Maiden ahs said over and over).

Hellhammer for example is total shit (just like Venom) and also almost not really known yet (and only released one e.p. and some demos) one of the most influential bands ever when it comes to extreme metal.

Fair enough, though I always thought that having better albums/wider range of fans even outside of metal is a kind of being influential. Also personally I always thought that Judas Priest had impressive vocals, but musically, hmm I think Iron Maiden is standing one step top of Judas Priest, maybe because Iron Maiden has much more variety and different sort of songs.
----
The Fangirl.
07.01.2014 - 15:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by angel. on 07.01.2014 at 15:17

maybe because Iron Maiden has much more variety and different sort of songs.

It's Judas Priest which is the way more varied band musically covering about everything from blues rock to speed metal and glam as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.01.2014 - 15:29
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2014 at 15:21

It's Judas Priest which is the way more varied band musically covering about everything from blues rock to speed metal and glam as well.

Maybe I should go over Judas Priest again, long time since the last time I heard their albums, I don't know why but really Iron Maiden tunes have always amused me more.
----
The Fangirl.
07.01.2014 - 19:57
mbcameron

Honestly I would go with Maiden on this. I mean, obviously Priest was a direct influence on Iron Maiden but when it comes down to which band has actually shaped modern metal music more I would say Maiden. They are a band that pretty much every metalhead I have ever met and quite a few non-metalheads are into. Judas Priest has that as well but I personally have not seen it to quite the same extent.
07.01.2014 - 20:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by mbcameron on 07.01.2014 at 19:57
They are a band that pretty much every metalhead I have ever met and quite a few non-metalheads are into. Judas Priest has that as well but I personally have not seen it to quite the same extent.

This isn't about who you think is more popular, though. It's about who influenced the metal scene more.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.01.2014 - 21:34
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2014 at 14:58

yes i knew it ! you are a fan of HELLHAMMER!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
07.01.2014 - 22:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 07.01.2014 at 21:34

Everyone should be.
----
07.01.2014 - 22:46
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Warman on 07.01.2014 at 22:24

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 07.01.2014 at 21:34

Everyone should be.

i have cried-out a one single mainly tear in honor of your sentence!
now seriously i agree
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
08.01.2014 - 09:48
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Definitely Judas Priest since we're talking about influence on the music evolution and progression.
08.01.2014 - 10:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2014 at 15:21

I'd even dare say that was exactly the reason why Priest never became quite as massive as Maiden. Priest played around with their style a lot over the years, which always has the potential to alienate members of your fanbase. Maiden have kept playing the same style more or less, throughout their entire career, and never really deviated from it. The argument over who is better simply comes down to personal choice, but Priest are a far more varied band than Maiden have been over the course of their careers.
09.01.2014 - 03:01
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Judas Priest by far...

Maiden was influential mainly for Heavy Metal and Power Metal... Judas Priest influenced the whole Metal scene.
24.01.2014 - 03:16
Guib
Thrash Talker
I seriously think Iron Maiden is more Influential overall...
I mean maiden does Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Prog, Power and it definitely has a touch of Thrash here and there (argueable).
They sold more... overall.
And I think younger bands relate a lot more to Maiden than Judas when it comes to *Who* influenced them
You see maiden cited more often. Also they win the poll on a Metal Webzine.. actually they win all polls that they're involved in.
I think its kinda obvious.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.02.2014 - 02:00
pkillerjp

I'm a way bigger Priest fan of course, I find then heavier, more interesting, and a great deal more varied over the years...but the more influential question is a tough one..both bands are hugely influential, Priest seemingly directly influenced the more important bands though..Mercyful Fate comes to mind, as does Metallica..I hear Maiden in literally 1000s of newer bands across all genres though, a band like Amon Amarth carries heavy Maiden influences in there melodic death metal sound..Initially and on a grander level, I'd say Priest wins, but carrying over to today and across a wider range of bands, that I'd have to give to Maiden..
17.02.2017 - 13:04
nikarg

Both really..