Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest more influential?

Original post

Posted by Dam3k, 01.06.2006 - 00:14
Well there are two of the most importants bands of all time in the metal scene, but which one do u think is more influential? Give reasons and explain. I think Judas Priest has been more influential in the US metal than in the european one, on the other hand I've been noticed about lot of european bands with influence of Iron Maiden, so I can't decide =). Well... maybe this two bands haven't been very influential for death metal or black metal bands but IMO they've been in thrash, power, progressive and heavy even hard rock. Choose one!!

Poll

Which band do u think has been more influential 4 metal scene??

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Can't decide

Total votes: 457
04.04.2009 - 14:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Black_Sheep on 03.04.2009 at 19:40

Iron Maiden. Definetly.

I always found Judas Priest very overrated and boring. Don't get me wrong, there's stuff that i like (the album "painkiller" is very good) but most of their releases are crappy. Also, they have become sellouts more than once, and that's not a good thing at all. If you look at their history, you see that they changed their style a bit always. Like they were trying to sound like whatever was popular at the time. And that really sucks.

And yes, Maiden has released some crappy albums as well. But (unlike JP's) most of their albums are great. Including the new ones.

PLease ffs read the original post. This poll is NOT about who you prefer. This poll is ABOUT who is more INFLUENTIAL..
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.04.2009 - 18:36
Black_Sheep

Sorry about that. I'll edit my post.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
04.04.2009 - 18:39
Slayer666

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.04.2009 at 14:28

Iron Maiden. Definetly.

I always found Judas Priest very overrated and boring. Don't get me wrong, there's stuff that i like (the album "painkiller" is very good) but most of their releases are crappy. Also, they have become sellouts more than once, and that's not a good thing at all. If you look at their history, you see that they changed their style a bit always. Like they were trying to sound like whatever was popular at the time. And that really sucks.

And yes, Maiden has released some crappy albums as well. But (unlike JP's) most of their albums are great. Including the new ones.

PLease ffs read the original post. This poll is NOT about who you prefer. This poll is ABOUT who is more INFLUENTIAL..

Marcel, he did say that through their history, Judas Priest changed their style to whatever was popular at the time. This leads me to a conclusion that JP were not INFLUENTIAL, but INFLUENCED. At least that's how I understood what Mr. Black Sheep was probably trying to say.
05.04.2009 - 17:04
Black_Sheep

Written by Slayer666 on 04.04.2009 at 18:39

Iron Maiden. Definetly.

Marcel, he did say that through their history, Judas Priest changed their style to whatever was popular at the time. This leads me to a conclusion that JP were not INFLUENTIAL, but INFLUENCED. At least that's how I understood what Mr. Black Sheep was probably trying to say.

You understood my point perfectly. They were influenced by rock/metal music that was popular at the time, and they changed their style many times like that over the years. Trying to stay on top i guess...
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
05.04.2009 - 20:46
Slayer666

Written by Black_Sheep on 05.04.2009 at 17:04

Written by Slayer666 on 04.04.2009 at 18:39

Iron Maiden. Definetly.

You understood my point perfectly. They were influenced by rock/metal music that was popular at the time, and they changed their style many times like that over the years. Trying to stay on top i guess...

I myself have no real opinion on this matter, having only heard Painkiller by JP and I mean the song, not the album. Have to admit, it's prety darn good. Really catchy and the solos are amaizing.
07.04.2009 - 08:05
Beowulf

I've always thought Iron Maiden was more influecial because though i like Judas Priest alot, they don't exacly change it up. Iron Maiden in my opinion brought a medevil sound to metal and showed people that metal could be intricate and more complex. I'm not saying either band is better but Iron Maiden at the time brought a whole new sound to metal that had never been heard before, which was ultimately more influencial.
07.04.2009 - 08:09
Beowulf

I'm of course talking about when they were both fairly new bands.
08.04.2009 - 04:12
Hyvaarin

Complexity? Listen to Sad Wings of Destiny (which pre-dates all Maiden). That album (and the others in the 'S album' trilogy) trumps anything Maiden has to offer.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
11.04.2009 - 14:24
Beowulf

Point Taken
10.10.2009 - 18:25
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps

Iron Maiden. Definetly.

i do not agree with you.??????
10.10.2009 - 18:29
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Hyvaarin on 08.04.2009 at 04:12

Complexity? Listen to Sad Wings of Destiny (which pre-dates all Maiden). That album (and the others in the 'S album' trilogy) trumps anything Maiden has to offer.

I AGREE WITH YOU
30.10.2009 - 11:34
runningwild

I'd answer Judas Priest (not because I like it) but rather that they play a few years before Iron Maiden's debut, and even Iron Maiden in the begining looked like a copycat having twin guitars, leather, studs, same sound. Janick Gers and Paul Di'Aano looked like Judas Priest's own K.K. Downing and Rob Halford. Besides, many bands have mentioned Judas Priest as their early influence. (Anthrax, Skid Row's Sebastian Back, Metallica, etc) some others took their names from JP songs (Runningwild, Exciter, Rage) and many others have covered JP songs. So who wins? The Metal Gods.
30.10.2009 - 12:57
roger73

Written by runningwild on 30.10.2009 at 11:34

I'd answer Judas Priest (not because I like it) but rather that they play a few years before Iron Maiden's debut, and even Iron Maiden in the begining looked like a copycat having twin guitars, leather, studs, same sound. Janick Gers and Paul Di'Aano looked like Judas Priest's own K.K. Downing and Rob Halford. Besides, many bands have mentioned Judas Priest as their early influence. (Anthrax, Skid Row's Sebastian Back, Metallica, etc) some others took their names from JP songs (Runningwild, Exciter, Rage) and many others have covered JP songs. So who wins? The Metal Gods.

I have nothing against JP, but argument that they were first is bad, beacuase here it is about who is more infuential. Even if they inspired Maiden in the begginings (more fahsion then music) it doesn't mean that they are more influential. Maiden is basic for all european heavy and power metal (and for Metallica, Slayer and other thrash bands also). In the USA there is much more influence of Sabbath then Priest. And there is also lot of bands whi covered maiden songs.
07.11.2009 - 00:11
SatyriconChick

I voted for Judas Priest. Not to say Maiden isn't influential in their own right, but Priest have a 'cooler' image. I think their sound has inspired a lot of bands as well, what with the crunchy guitars.
14.01.2010 - 10:49
innqubus

This is really difficult to answer. Judas Priest influenced Metal, Speed Metal and Thrash Metal in US whereas Iron Maiden the world over especially Europe. On record i have never seen IM quoting JP as an influence though. Priest has Rob Halford who is a tad better than Maiden's Bruce Dickinson/Paul Di'Anno/Blaze Bayley combined. Judas Priest didn't stick on and they kinda experimented. I have listened to both of them and Judas Priest didn't have a "trademark signature style" (except fashion) for bands to get massively influenced. Iron Maiden wins in this category. Right from Killers till Virtual XI they were the same. They changed in between but back again in A Matter of Life and Death, I felt Iron Maiden is back. Judas on the other hand brought in the "heaviness" in Heavy Metal. Metal can be prefixed with Heavy only after JP i feel.
Behind their mighty presence what Judas Priest missed is a band leader. The thinker. The one who influences all the band members to make them the most influential. Iron Maiden had him in Steve Harris.
So the result? I go with Iron Maiden. Judas Priest is not far behind though. Neither Iron Maiden can come up with something like Pain Killer and influence Speed Metal nor Judas Priest can come up with something like Hallowed be thy name and influence Metal as a whole.
15.01.2010 - 19:27
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2008 at 23:31

Judas Priest I'd say...

first to use the twin guitar soloing attack within metal

first to popularize the leather and studs look.

first to use to macho postering on stage...

first to use the ridiculous amount of Marshall stacks on stage

yeah, also Maiden (though they probably will never admit it, especially Steve Harris since Ian Hill is a very mediocre bassist, sorry to say it but it's true) HAVE been influenced by Priest too.

to people who don't believe me, check out the songs Stained Class and Diamonds and Rust, they have classic Smith-Murray riffs written all over them, also other more melodic stuff like Exciter, Dreamer Deceiver, etc. which all feature the classic double guitar harmony that Maiden popularized.
19.01.2010 - 02:29
thewall30

Iron Maiden! I never could get into Judas Priest...
----
19.01.2010 - 12:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I couldnt get into Priest for a long time too...i first need to listen to Litvintroll's cover of Breaking The Law...then I discovered how majestic JP really are
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.04.2010 - 07:36
JohnWayneGacy666

JUDAS PRIEST ARE THE GODS OF METAL, simple as that they have been around since 1969 and rarely released a bad song EVER FUKING band is influenced by priest in a way, At least good bands are. Anyone Priest over Iron Maiden any day I think its a load of crap that maiden is the most popular band on the website Judas Priest for no.1
13.04.2010 - 01:58
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Maiden all day
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
15.04.2010 - 04:11
Silent_wolfer

Got say Iron Maiden.
15.04.2010 - 07:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Thanks, guys, for your detailed explanations. we are all far more sure as to who was more influential based upon the depth of your responses.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.06.2010 - 23:38
Gordon Freeman

The answer to this question, I think, really depends on what generation of metal musicians you ask.

By the time Iron Maiden started gaining popularity the heavy metal scene was already established, due in no small part to Judas Priest's dual guitar assault. They took that heavier blues rock sound pioneered by fellow Brits Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath etc. and beefed it up.

If you look at the heavy metal bands of the early eighties: Riot, Accept, Running Wild, Cloven Hoof, Omen, Saxon etc. Who did they sound like? That's right, Judas Priest.

However, when you look at the last 15+ years of heavy metal the clear influence for many bands is quite obviously Iron Maiden with their galloping rhythms and sweeping, more epic less bluesy songs.

Examples of their influence can be seen in modern power metal bands. And the gothenburg sound of In Flames, Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy which has dominated popular metal for the last decade would not exist without Iron Maiden's special contribution to the guitar riff.

So in the end I guess you could go either way. I personally chose Judas Priest because even if they were not a direct influence on Iron Maiden there probably wouldn't have been a heavy metal culture for Iron Maiden to grow in without Judas Priest.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
03.06.2010 - 23:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Judas Priest definitely. Although I think more bands have been directly influenced by Maiden, I think the metal scene as a whole, and in general, has been shaped and influenced more by Priest. Priest were the first metal band to introduce the twin lead guitar attack and harmonies. They were also the blueprint for actual sub-genres such as speed metal and power metal. So I think the influence of Priest is more expansive, even if Maiden have directly influenced more bands.
04.06.2010 - 02:51
Numbskull

Both of these bands rule and both were very influential. I think Iron Maiden has been more popular with fans over the years; but, I think Judas Priest has been more influential when it comes to impacting metal bands. A lot of this is because of the fact Priest started earlier and did things that hadn't been done. Some of the things that are accepted norms now had never been done before Black Sabbath or Judas Priest did them. For those who dismiss JP because IM is more popular. Listen to Sad Wings of Destiny and think what it must have been like for young musicians and fans in the mid-70's to hear those songs. It would be years before IM would be on the scene.
04.06.2010 - 15:04
vezzy
Stallmanite
I find that Judas Priest is more influential, although I personally prefer Iron Maiden.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.06.2010 - 03:03
NortheRnmost

Incredibly hard poll. Where I come from, Maiden has always been the bigger band, but if you listen to music itself, definitely Priest's riff's, dual guitar attacks, driving rhythms, Halford's unbeliavable vocal range, more dark/more commercial sound (which ever you embrace depends on the album) and leather outfits have ploved the way for generation of metallists. Thrash movement, black metal and every band with two guitarists have been listening and learning to Judas Priest at some point. There's more stuff altogether in Priest than in Maiden, though I like both bands but Priest is cooler and I would follow their army. My vote: Judas Priest.
08.08.2010 - 04:21
stocktonrocks

While I love both bands and they are both in my top 10 lists favorite rock/metal bands I would have to with Iron Maiden. Now if Bruce never joined Iron Maiden, I dont think we would be having this topic.
12.08.2010 - 12:22
arwestromen

In singing....judas priest
In music....Iron Maiden
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
14.08.2010 - 20:37
CzirjakMan

Maiden was one of the first bands to have a good melody with aggresive rhythms, which is everywhere today. Their lyrical style also resonates with lots of bands today- telling stories, mythology, stuff like that. Iron Maiden also had a bigger, fuller sound than Priest which i think would have reached out to more musicians.