01. Redefine
02. Vitamin
03. New Skin
04. Idiot Box
05. Glass
06. Magic Medicine
07. A Certain Shade Of Green
08. Favorite Things
09. Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song)
10. Nebula
11. Deep Inside
12. Calgone

Yeah yeah I hear you my friend "Incubus is a fucking pop band with gay music man?what the fuck are you doing writing a review of them when we want fucking hot chicks with huge tugs?" Well, first of all they are kind of pop now, but back in the old days they played a great kind of Funk Metal and Nu-Metal with incredible lines and amazing sequences, then you say "I still think they're gaaaay".

Well, homophobia is even gayer than whatever you think so just shut the fuck up, I mean you should not fear homosexuals you know? Tell me when was the last time you were jogging in the park and a lot of fruity guys gangbanged you several times with nothing but a bottle of Vaseline and brutal dildos; well if that was last week then chances are you actually asked them to do it because you enjoy being gangbanged by guys who sing YMCA so let me write my review ok?

Incubus depicted one of the most hated genres in Metal, but they wrote music without fear on their brains, they wrote metal with funk parts and rapped lyrics, yes that's not original but they made it sound better than Limp Biskit and Biohazard combined, and I challenge you to name one band who creates complex bass-lines similar to what we found in "Redefine" not even Ephel Duath is able to Jazz their music in such a crazy way.

The album has awesome structures, and the overall catchiness found here is dissimilar to any other Nu-Metal band from those years, it's not the usual catchy riff+breakdown+rapped lyrics, Incubus didn't use breakdowns as catchy features, they used them as bridges to merge riffs and atmospheres (f.e. "Vitamin"), that's brilliant my friends believe me. Then there's the technical musicianship presented in songs like "Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song)", or the magnificent blend of layered drumming with multifaceted atmospheres in "Magic Medicine", the odd song with a crazy/irregular beats and paces called "Nebula" and so on. Too bad they added an average nu-metal song called "Favorite Things" which represents everything I hate about Nu-Metal.

This album is great actually, so I really think you should give it a try, be open minded my friend, phobias are destroying the world, chances are you'll be very impressed with what's hidden in the depths of this CD, just avoid their works after SC.I.E.N.C.E because those albums really suck; I mean, at least Incubus is better than Adema, stronger than Linkin Park and more original than Rage Against The Machine right?

Best Tracks: "Redefine", "Nebula", "Glass", "Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song)"

Written by Herzebeth | 24.04.2006

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 90 users
19.09.2007 - 17:07
Deadsoulman

I had never seen this review before! S.C.I.E.N.C.E is by far the best Incubus album. It represents everything nu metal should be, i.e. technical, funky and catchy, with great vocals. This album is a breath of fresh air when compared to all the stale releases you find in this genre...

Btw, I just don't agree with your comment about Biohazard Ok now they write crap, but their albums up to Mata Leao were amazing (listen to State Of The World Address and you'll see what I mean...). And Rage Against The Machine were original when they started out
12.12.2007 - 23:19
Rating: 8
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
this is a great album. I actually even think make yourself is a great album, if not comparable (even though its not a metal album). Its a pitty they lost all originality after that album.
13.10.2008 - 05:08
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Haha this is one of the most interesting reviews on MS... the first two paragraphs are legendary...
13.10.2008 - 09:28
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
One of the best nu-metal albums of all time.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
03.09.2009 - 20:20
Panterica

I don't know what's up with you, but Make Yourself and A Crew Left to a Murder are still metal, if you'll listen to them you'll see the progress they made from this release. Light Grenades is a different story...
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
20.09.2011 - 04:29
Rating: 9
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Love this album to this day.
16.01.2013 - 05:08
burnt-bridge

By far Incubus best album, along with Fungus Amongus. It seems with every new album they make they drift further and further away from this great sound they had here.

Hits total: 6872 | This month: 7