Release date: June 2007

01. Bete Noirs
02. Wandering The Wilderness Of Eternal Misery
03. Light Anomalies In The Phantom Woods
04. With Animosity I Bequeath Thee
05. Sinister Scraping Of The Spectres
06. Ghostwoodlands
07. Descending Into Utter Despair

I can't believe I've made it to the end of this useless piece of rotten excrement. If I hadn't already heard the name of this one-man-band, I could have thought this is a parody, but unfortunately it is not. It wouldn't have been very funny anyway. And yet, as I am finding myself increasingly enjoying black metal (and especially the rawest one) every day, I thought this could do something for me. Well, it doesn't. Actually this may very well be one of the most ridiculous pieces of metal - no, of music - I've ever heard. Ok, I'm not being very fair here. I don't know whether this is good or not. HOW COULD I KNOW IF THIS IS ANY GOOD WHEN I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING?

I understand the necessity of having a raw production when it serves an artistic purpose. I mean, Lightning Bolt or Darkthrone wouldn't be the same with a crystal clear sound, now would they? But this? This is simply too much. Or not enough. This is even less professional than a live rehearsal recorded on a first generation mobile phone. The hiss you hear in the background is the guitar. Yes, this is noisy, this is annoying, this is painful, this almost made my ears bleed. The vocals? Oh, the vocals. They sound like toilets are flushed in a very deep cave with lots of echo, and then the recording of this sound is forced through some machine that will give it even more echo. It would be laughable if it was not so pathetic. The drums are simply off tempo most of the time, in an "excuse me this is my first drums lesson" kind of way. Only the bass is almost decent - almost.

And now you're gonna tell me: "Collin, you poor dumbass, you don't get it, it's ambient black metal, it's the atmospheres that matter". Yeah I know, but how do you create serious and tripping atmospheres with the keyboard I offered my 4-year old cousin last Christmas? Most interludes only consist of two veeeery looooong notes repeated over and over again. It is not atmospheric, it is stratospherically boring. When I think of it, every song consists of two simplistic riffs repeated over and over again. I found going through the twenty minutes of "Wandering The Wilderness Of Eternal Misery" was ten times as hard as quitting smoking. I assume all this was meant to be some sort of scary horror movie soundtrack, but to me this is the sonic equivalent of an Ed Wood film, if you see what I mean. I see you coming: "Collin, you lame loser, this is art!". Well, nowadays every other dumbass with illusions of grandeur calls himself an artist. A few years ago some Italian guy shat in a box, called it "art", and sold it for millions of dollars. So, excuse me.

I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this pathetic attempt at being grim. The fact that this is released by a serious label (Displeased Records, how could you commit this?) leaves me speechless. I can't believe someone proposes something that shows so much disrespect for the listeners and for the music. Please Mr Sin-Nanna, stop pretending you make music, my toilet brush shows more talent than this turd you're releasing.

PS: I give this? thing (I refuse to call it an album) 2 points for the two grammar mistakes in the first song title - it's "Bête Noire", not "Bete Noirs" - that made me laugh a little.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 2
Songwriting: 2
Originality: 3
Production: 2

Written by Deadsoulman | 20.09.2007

Comments

Comments: 47   Visited by: 173 users
20.09.2007 - 20:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Hahahahaha, great review, btw, I for 100% support you on your views of this one
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2007 - 21:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Although i agree that this band is horrible, i don't get the point of this review. there have been many good black metal releases this year, why not review those? everybody knows that Striborg is a piece of crap, there's no need to hear it again.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.09.2007 - 21:42
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Elite
Written by Damnated on 20.09.2007 at 21:39

Although i agree that this band is horrible, i don't get the point of this review. there have been many good black metal releases this year, why not review those? everybody knows that Striborg is a piece of crap, there's no need to hear it again.

The labels/bands send their albums to have a review. It's just normal to write these reviews (even if it's bad )

PS: Damn I read the review and I didn't laugh like that since a lot of time
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
20.09.2007 - 21:44
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Jeff on 20.09.2007 at 21:42

The labels/bands send their albums to have a review. It's just normal to write these reviews (even if it's bad )

oh. how very rood. sending an album like this.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.09.2007 - 21:45
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Elite
You know... terrorism is trendy nowadays
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
20.09.2007 - 21:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
And the scary thing is that there are actually people around who really enjoy this album and the rest of Striborg's music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2007 - 22:12
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Damnated on 20.09.2007 at 21:44

Written by Jeff on 20.09.2007 at 21:42

oh. how very rood. sending an album like this.

Lol yeah, believe me, I'd rather review great music. Writing reviews on bad albums can be pretty funny, but the problem is that you have to listen to the whole thing. That's tough
20.09.2007 - 23:41
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
@Collin
"I don't know whether this is good or not. HOW COULD I KNOW IF THIS IS ANY GOOD WHEN I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING?"

@Marcel
"And the scary thing is that there are actually people around who really enjoy this album and the rest of Striborg's music."

Perhaps ask to Pequod. He rate this "thing" 10.

Two solutions:
He possess a good auditive acuteness and can help you Collin to hear something or all the subtleties . Or he's a pure fan and it's Marcel which is right.

More seriously, it is so ignoble and crappy as that? With all this elements I think don't buy this album and buy the first album. It was better rate .
I joke of course.
21.09.2007 - 01:00
Ilham Cotterell
Account deleted
Reminds me of a conversation I had with Nervel. I had exactly the same arguments Collin used in his review.

Great review, really .
21.09.2007 - 01:19
Lord_Skele
Account deleted
Maybe I'm crazy but I'd like to hear this album. Though if the review is true the listening doesn't help anyting as you can't hear the music even when listening to the cd, haha.

Cool cover image anyway, and "Ghostwoodlands" is a really interesting album title.
21.09.2007 - 07:45
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Haaahahaha I want to hear it
21.09.2007 - 08:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 21.09.2007 at 01:00

Reminds me of a conversation I had with Nervel. I had exactly the same arguments Collin used in his review.

Great review, really .

Haha, now you are putting me in a bad light (don't think it was your intention). I do not like Striborg. Fun for a listen every once in a while, I need some really crappy BM once a month. I'll take Striborg or Enbilulugugal. Both shit.

And our argument was about production values.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.09.2007 - 14:22
Ilham Cotterell
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 21.09.2007 at 08:51

Haha, now you are putting me in a bad light (don't think it was your intention). I do not like Striborg. Fun for a listen every once in a while, I need some really crappy BM once a month. I'll take Striborg or Enbilulugugal. Both shit.

And our argument was about production values.

I just said it reminded me of it . And you know it was not my intention...
21.09.2007 - 15:13
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
hmm seems like something the noise music listener might actually like (some NON tracks are after all also "two veeeery looooong notes repeated over and over again"). of course, there is good noise and bad noise, im curious which one this is...
21.09.2007 - 20:36
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by jupitreas on 21.09.2007 at 15:13

hmm seems like something the noise music listener might actually like (some NON tracks are after all also "two veeeery looooong notes repeated over and over again"). of course, there is good noise and bad noise, im curious which one this is...

Errr no, I really don't think so I can stand noisy stuff. I can even stand Merzbow, Wolf Eyes and stuff. But this is just very badly produced ambient black metal. Not meant to be noise. The guy's got a myspace, try it and tell me what you think. I'm curious now.
21.09.2007 - 20:41
Southern Wind
Account deleted
This is bad noise... the only worse noise I had heard in black metal is the last by stallaggh... you don't know how bad noise/black can be until you listen to that crap (at least the last album)
21.09.2007 - 20:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 21.09.2007 at 20:41

This is bad noise... the only worse noise I had heard in black metal is the last by stallaggh... you don't know how bad noise/black can be until you listen to that crap (at least the last album)

Is it bad? I'm curious to know. By the way, what did you think of their other releases (the projects or their Nihilistik Terror)?
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.09.2007 - 00:01
Lupas
Maximus
ha ha , i never laughed so much after reading a review. Good one Collin . But it leave me to have a curious to listen to this album

Edit : I even laughed more when i saw the band profile pic. But how such pic are featured here and also such bands
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
22.09.2007 - 01:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Lupas on 22.09.2007 at 00:01

Edit : I even laughed more when i saw the band profile pic. But how such pic are featured here and also such bands

Well, believe it or not, but they do have a couple of fans in the underground scene.
----

22.09.2007 - 02:24
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 21.09.2007 at 20:52

Written by Guest on 21.09.2007 at 20:41

Is it bad? I'm curious to know. By the way, what did you think of their other releases (the projects or their Nihilistik Terror)?

I hadn't checked their other albums, but the last one is laughable.... hard to believe that it was made seriously... just a simple, underdeveloped wall of noise spiced with screams of some retarded, that according to the band were screamed by a "real criminal" who was asked to participate, to capture the tru essence of pure evil of the human soul blah blah blah... I don't know, I had read some reviews about Stallaggh's previous shit and they don't treat them so bad, but their new album is pathetic
22.09.2007 - 09:46
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Lucas on 22.09.2007 at 01:21

Written by Lupas on 22.09.2007 at 00:01

Well, believe it or not, but they do have a couple of fans in the underground scene.

Yeah but in the abyss scene
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
22.09.2007 - 10:50
Why must this band be from Australia? Whyyyyy?? He screams like a freaking cartoon
22.09.2007 - 19:33
Asphyxia
Account deleted
I got the album and honestly there are some parts that I think are pretty good. It sounds better than past albums to me.
23.09.2007 - 15:18
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Guest on 22.09.2007 at 19:33

I got the album and honestly there are some parts that I think are pretty good. It sounds better than past albums to me.

Good for you
----
23.09.2007 - 17:37
Infurnace
Hmm.. I might wanna try this album and see if it is as bad as everyone says haha . I'll post my opinion later on.
23.09.2007 - 18:37
Deadsoulman
Elite
Lol it seems my review has the opposite effect of what I wanted. I wrote this with a view to make it very clear that this is absolute crap and should be avoided at all costs. And now everyone wants to listen to it lol
23.09.2007 - 18:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Deadsoulman on 23.09.2007 at 18:37

Lol it seems my review has the opposite effect of what I wanted. I wrote this with a view to make it very clear that this is absolute crap and should be avoided at all costs. And now everyone wants to listen to it lol

Unfortunately I already heard before you wrote the review or else I WOULD HAVE AVOIDED IT
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2007 - 16:15
Infurnace
Man, this record really, really sucks. I hate the sound of the drums. I wish I would have avoided this band haha.
28.09.2007 - 17:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
I gotta hear this!
----
30.09.2007 - 23:51
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 22.09.2007 at 02:24

I hadn't checked their other albums, but the last one is laughable.... hard to believe that it was made seriously... just a simple, underdeveloped wall of noise spiced with screams of some retarded, that according to the band were screamed by a "real criminal" who was asked to participate, to capture the tru essence of pure evil of the human soul blah blah blah... I don't know, I had read some reviews about Stallaggh's previous shit and they don't treat them so bad, but their new album is pathetic

Stalaggh requires mood and a certain taste. it's definitely not for everyone. before you listen to them, try to prepare for a physical trauma. then you wont be surprised. Stalaggh is painful. but can be enjoyable.

oh, and the vocals are recorded at mental asylums with several retarded people. their stimulation is the music itself.
----

Hits total: 7772 | This month: 15