Metal Storm logo
Your average Metalhead

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 20.09.2007 - 20:35
In this world, you have two types of metalheads. Your druggies that dont care about anything, and the metalheads that have their shit together.

It makes me mad seeing non-metal people look at us as the fucked up evil spirited no good freaks. I honestly see more metalheads that are smarter, more productive, and have more planned out than the average person.

How do you guys view all this stuff? Feel free to add to discussion!
30.06.2010 - 03:55
Kennoth

Written by Malevolent-Jim on 30.06.2010 at 00:20

Apparently I'm jaded because of my music taste.Apparently my opinion on anything is worthless because I liked Metallica once.While I can admit,metal is hardly easy listening, it does get a little bit too much of a negative view amongst the average mainstream demographic.

You can understand it though,it's all new to them.A lot of them have very little idea about what kind of diversity there is about metal because it's given such a bad image and first impression (thanks to Korn,Limp Bizkit,Cradle Of Filth,etc).However I do not think that metalheads are all more intelligent than the average person just because of the music they listen to.I still see too many clueless retards claiming bands like Five Finger Death Punch and Lamb Of God to be the greatest shit evaarr by a lot of metal kids, and my opposing opinion on that is wrong too, apparently.

The point is that in metal, you will find just as many oafish morons as you would with any other type of musical demographic.People are just people.Either dumb or smart,music does not reflect intelligence.

About the last paragraph, totally true. Though I find some irony in your post; as in the very people that put you down for listening to Metallica, you act like them by devaluing some other bands.

But I could be wrong.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
30.06.2010 - 03:59
glasgow_smile

Unfortunately in this world, I've seen more people remember the negative examples of something rather than the positive. Metal's certainly no exception. It's also just easy to pick on a scene that appears evil and violent to those who haven't really experienced it, or care to. I think, like what's been already mentioned, that's why metalheads form a strong bond. You walk past someone wearing a Slayer shirt and you feel that connection right away because you realize, "There's someone else who gets it".
30.06.2010 - 14:03
Malevolent-Jim

Written by Kennoth on 30.06.2010 at 03:55

Written by Malevolent-Jim on 30.06.2010 at 00:20

Apparently I'm jaded because of my music taste.Apparently my opinion on anything is worthless because I liked Metallica once.While I can admit,metal is hardly easy listening, it does get a little bit too much of a negative view amongst the average mainstream demographic.

You can understand it though,it's all new to them.A lot of them have very little idea about what kind of diversity there is about metal because it's given such a bad image and first impression (thanks to Korn,Limp Bizkit,Cradle Of Filth,etc).However I do not think that metalheads are all more intelligent than the average person just because of the music they listen to.I still see too many clueless retards claiming bands like Five Finger Death Punch and Lamb Of God to be the greatest shit evaarr by a lot of metal kids, and my opposing opinion on that is wrong too, apparently.

The point is that in metal, you will find just as many oafish morons as you would with any other type of musical demographic.People are just people.Either dumb or smart,music does not reflect intelligence.

About the last paragraph, totally true. Though I find some irony in your post; as in the very people that put you down for listening to Metallica, you act like them by devaluing some other bands.

But I could be wrong.

I have never claimed Metallica to be the greatest shit evar,the LoG and FFDP fans I was exposed to seem to believe that these bands are the be all and end all of music.
02.07.2010 - 23:07
Fat & Sassy!

Written by ʝJ on 29.06.2010 at 23:41

SUCK MY BALLZ
AND METAL FOR LIFE
WHO THE FUCK CARES WHAT U PEOPLE THINK AN AVERAGE METAL HEAD IS
SERIOUSLY
METAL HEADS ARE JUST AMAZING PEOPLE SO SHOVE SHOVELS UP UR ANAL HOLES KIDS CAUSE UNCLE THOMAS WANTS SOME FUCKING RAPE TIME
WEST COAST FOR LIFE BITCHES REPRESENT

Holy shit! Contender for best post of the year is what this is...
05.07.2010 - 00:52
Herb

Yes, random swearing in all caps is hilarious. By metal heads with their "shit together" I assume youre talking about scene-kids? If so then dont be surprised when someone looks oddly at them. Yesterday I saw two kids on the beach with doc martins and leather jackets on... very grim.
07.07.2010 - 06:15
Sulac

I know all kinds of metalheads, from totally obsessed anti-Christian angry people who like the violence of the music, poseurs who listen to metal solely to distinguish themselves from pop and country listening crowds, and decent people like my friend, who is the quietest person I know and just loves the music aspect.

My rep at my school is of a nerd, and the friend mentioned above brought me into metal, and people are STILL shocked whenever I wear a band shirt to school.

So yeah, metalheads come in all shapes in sizes, some bad, some good, some mediocre. And we're all brothers in music!
24.01.2012 - 04:19
Zealot644

I tend to see...

Scene kids - awful bands they listen to (Chelsea Grin, BMTH, Attack Attack, insert random generic metalcore or deathcore here).
Stoners - fall under the scene kid category.
Half Scene Kids - like some of the 'scene' and 'stoner' stuff but also listen to bands that I consider either less so or not at all, trash.
Classics fanatic - If it's 20+ years old, expect them to love it. If its anything less you can expect them to hate it.
And then the all around metal people (I think I'd be among them) who listen to a huge variety of metal without really falling under any of my aforementioned stereotypes.
24.01.2012 - 06:42
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 25.08.2008 at 03:13

Written by Hembrom on 03.10.2007 at 08:43

Written by Guest on 02.10.2007 at 05:52

Written by Hembrom on 25.09.2007 at 09:28

Dumb Topic , Lame Discussion

Oh I for sure agree with this...but there is so much of this on Metalstorm...if it were my way, I would see to it that a lot of these inane topics with typical and equally inane discussions be eliminated...oh, in a perfect world...just an excuse to post something I guess right?

Yeah kinda , when i started doing foruming in MS .... i use to reply in each and every post !! But after few years what i see that the same topic is been discussed with different angel. I think i am getting old or i am too lazy to post my views on the topics

I know how you feel, sometimes I'll go into a thread and say to myself "Oh yeah, I already pitched my two cents on this topic" but then notice I've never posted anything. I think its just a chance for people to bitch about being stereotyped. My two cents is, you can be a metalhead and look like a metalhead while still looking like you've got some class. Take me for example, I've got long hair and what not and I wear band shirts, but when working I still wearing my nice corduroy pants and have my hair nicely brushed. Whereas when you dress like a sleaze your obviously going for some kind of 'badass' image so your probably going to get treated like a badass. I wear the ripped jeans and sleeveless shirts as frequently as the next guy, but I dont act like its some crime if I get treated differently because of it. Even then, society is becoming a lot more open to more alternative type people that you dont really get treated that unfairly, this isn't the 1950's anymore for god sakes. At least thats the way it is over here in NA. Perhaps its different in other countries.

I think your post makes alot of sense and i agree. There is a time and a place for everything. I cant remember who exactly said it but on some show a member of a band (It was either thrash or death metal) said that you cant be all "hardcore" and "brutal" all the time. Everyone has a softer side. Also the average metalhead is probably someone who gets along with most other people who listen to any kind of metal, but on this site im formally known as "the guy who hates deathcore and only likes thrash". The deathcore hating may be true but i enjoy a wide range of other music, and just because i dont like some types doesnt mean i dont have respect for the people that like that stuff. A couple of my good friends are in a deathcore band. But to stay on topic. Average metalheads will connect with each other because of a similar taste.
24.01.2012 - 07:04
JCJen7

Written by whatsacow on 30.06.2010 at 03:53

I do assume people who listen to pop are emotionless pussies with no taste in music, and just listen to whatever everyone else listens to

you trollin?

really though, most of my friends listen to either hip-hop or pop. don't be so judgemental.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
25.01.2012 - 01:49
whatsacow

Written by JCJen7 on 24.01.2012 at 07:04

Written by whatsacow on 30.06.2010 at 03:53

I do assume people who listen to pop are emotionless pussies with no taste in music, and just listen to whatever everyone else listens to

you trollin?

really though, most of my friends listen to either hip-hop or pop. don't be so judgemental.

Sort of, but I posted that because my girlfriend was looking over my shoulder at the time. She's a bit of a pop princess lol.

And I listen to hip hop too. My most listened to albums of all time are Maudlin of the Well - Bath, and Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP. Don't judge me, it's hilarious.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
26.01.2012 - 01:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Zealot644 on 24.01.2012 at 04:19

the ignorance which is so bliss in this statement is unbelievable
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.01.2012 - 01:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 02.07.2010 at 23:07

Written by ʝJ on 29.06.2010 at 23:41

SUCK MY BALLZ
AND METAL FOR LIFE
WHO THE FUCK CARES WHAT U PEOPLE THINK AN AVERAGE METAL HEAD IS
SERIOUSLY
METAL HEADS ARE JUST AMAZING PEOPLE SO SHOVE SHOVELS UP UR ANAL HOLES KIDS CAUSE UNCLE THOMAS WANTS SOME FUCKING RAPE TIME
WEST COAST FOR LIFE BITCHES REPRESENT

Holy shit! Contender for best post of the year is what this is...

Got my Vote
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.01.2012 - 22:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.01.2012 at 01:58

Got my Vote

Best post of 2010? Doubt it.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.01.2012 - 07:06
Zealot644

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.01.2012 at 01:47

Written by Zealot644 on 24.01.2012 at 04:19

the ignorance which is so bliss in this statement is unbelievable

Actually, no.

What I meant by that statement was referring to the people I see on a daily basis. The majority of stoners I know who listen to metal tend to have pretty much the exact same musical interest as scene kids.

I didnt mean all of them. Looking back though, my post did lack clarity.
11.02.2012 - 19:20
Conemetal

I think metalheads are into metal because they are not into mainstream, they are rebellius and critical in society. I'm a metalhead for those reasons and I love being a metalhead and it doesn't matter to me what the other people thinks of me
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
17.02.2012 - 18:46
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well if I follow the opening post, here would be my answer.

I just don'T give a fuck, cuz im your average pot smoker metal head... so I don't have my shits together and don't give a fuck bout your thread.

And then, passed the stereotype

Not everyone thinks of us like being evil people that worship satan, or drop out criminals... yeah some do, but then again, some metal heads are that don't deny it even if its not the majority don't forget that people always remember the bad stuff not the good one. But what I hate the most is not how people see us, like how people see our music... thats the annoying part. And most of them never really heard metal and they already throw stupid shit like (its only noise) or (they always scream), that pisses me off. Before judging try and listen... its like people that are way against pot, well personally I don't think it harms you more than alcohol does, and I don't see people whining about that lol wake up
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here