36 users:
Band: Dreams Of Sanity
Album: The Game
Release date: September 2000

01. In...
02. The Creature That You Came To See
03. Time To Set The Stones
04. The Beginning That Lies
05. The Empress - Through The Looking Glass (A Dream)
06. A Window To The Sky
07. And So (I Walk On)
08. We.ll.Sea
09. The Creature That You Came To See (reprise)
10. ...finity

I can't believe that I didn't know this band until last year! Me! That I claim to be have a worthy knowledge of the metal scene. Shame on me! So, how did I finally knew this band? A friend of mine brought to my house a mix CD-R of some of the best songs of his metal collection. In this Cd was 'The Beginning That Lies' by Dreams Of Sanity (included in this album). When I heard this song I was hypnotized, paralyzed, numb... What is this???? This is great! Long history short, I said to myself "I have to own this Cd"

So here we are, me reviewing this piece of art, 3 years after the official release, better late than never!

For those unfamiliar with this band, let me enlighten you, Dreams Of sanity are playing Gothic Metal with a lot of symphonic arrangement and an overall progressive feel. The album is a concept album based on the life of one person ("the creature"), and all the struggles and bad moments he has to go through, but is also about the good moments, full of joy and love. Strange concept if you ask me, but it blends perfectly with the music.

The strong part of the album are the beautiful vocals of Sandra Schleret, they're simply great, she can express so much with her melodic and emotional voice! simply stunning, I can hardly find words to describe the voice of Sandra.

The album starts with a short intro, a little peak of what's coming inside, right next is 'The Creature You Came To See' a great song, but it's only 2 minutes long... What's going on here? We want songs! Not previews... (although those are some great previews).
Thank god, someone heard my prayers, next in line is 'Time To Set The Stones' the first "real song" (more than 3 minutes). This song is great, great melodies, and a kickin' ass guitar solo. It also have a nice piano near the end.

Now... Song number 4. 'The Beginning That Lies', killer track! Starts with keyboards, then the guitar enters, on top of that Sandra starts singing, really low at first, then explodes into a progressive gothic metal masterpiece!

I could continue describing this records song by song as I was doing, but remember, this is a concept album, and it has to be observed as one work, and trust me on this, if you listen this as whole work is more satisfactory. Trust me please and get this one, you don't get to listen such beautiful work of art everyday.

Written by Undercraft | 19.10.2003

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 47 users
21.09.2007 - 09:39
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Ahh, it great to see such a great review for this album I like all of Dreams Of Sanity's CDs, but this one definitely has their best songs on it, and the best production as well. "The Beginning That Lies" is the song that got me into the band, and still is the song that I listen to the most... But like you say here, this CD is best listened to as a whole, and listening to just one track does not create the effects that the entire album can do for the listener. Too band the band never finished their 4th album!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
02.05.2008 - 16:44
EverFrost

Great review! This album is unique. It's so afflictive that such an awesome band does not exist anymore...

Hits total: 4821 | This month: 9