03. Amok
04. Thy Kingdom Koma
05. When In Sodom
06. In The Blood
07. Ministry
08. The Dead, The Dying and The Dying To Be Dead
09. Warfare, Plague, Famine, Death
10. Love Song For Lucifer

Entombed is a classic band, no matter what they release it's almost certain that it will receive good reviews and high ratings, this is only because the band has a very loyal fanbase that are willing to give their left pinky to see the band releasing a new album, everyone who loved "Wolverine blues" kept trusting their band and they never let go, so they'll be jamming the stores just to buy "Serpent Saints" and I'm willing to bet on it...as for the rest of us...

This record starts off well, it steals our attention with the first couple of flaming riffs and bloody throats, this time Entombed decided to go along with the "Old School" sense that's spawning the scene nowadays (at least for the first half of the album). Later the album becomes more aggressive adding some Thrash Metal patterns in their structures, but then as the track numbers go up the album actually goes softer and softer without any particular reason.

The violent shredding guitars are substituted with some keyboards and soft choruses, the sudden change becomes so virtually obvious and utterly solid that it almost feels like the band divided the album in two different vibes on purpose, one being the hostile part which covers from track 1-5 and the softer side that holds the rest of the titles (please notice that the ninth and fifth tracks are inverted and do not match the back cover's tracklist)

I found myself fairly surprised with the more Thrashy/Deathy songs, I could actually recommend you to buy this piece only for those cuts, but to be honest the softer side didn't do much for me, on the contrary, that experience wasn't very uplifting...though something is quite certain, the fans will be happy, for you...enjoy!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by Herzebeth | 22.09.2007

Guest review by
Stuart
Rating:
Entombed is a band who have gone through a lot of line-up changes between their previous album, Inferno and this release. First bassist Jorgen Sandstrom quit the band to concentrate on The Project Hate, followed by the departure of founding member and second guitarist Uffe Cederlund and finally drummer Peter Stjärnvind decided call it a day just as Entombed were heading into the studio.

Read more ››
published 06.10.2007 | Comments (4)

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 110 users
22.09.2007 - 13:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I find this album much more enjoyable and diverse than the new (and IMO immensely overrated) Obituary. A 7.7 is about right for me as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2007 - 18:52
Deadsoulman

Very good album, more brutal and closer to their beginning than what they did since Wolverine Blues. I especially like the vocals. I also don't really see which softer side you're talking about, honestly. Mid-paced, yes, sofetr, no, I don't think so.

Another thing, I suppose you reviewed the promo cd. The artwork is not the same on the retail album. The winged penises are the inside artwork. And the back cover's tracklist is perfectly fine on my album too

EDIT: I changed the artwork of the album to what it really is No more penises lol
24.09.2007 - 00:11
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I don't know what you mean by softer side, that's a very misleading statement. This is a pretty by-the-book Death Metal album, that just happens to be catchy and thrashy, and generally much better written and enjoyable than anything bands like Vital Remains, Vomitory, Unleashed, Obituary or Morbid Angel put out. It's definitely not just a release for the fans, it's actually a very accessible album, that can be enjoyed by anyone who has a remote liking for Death Metal.

9/10
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
06.03.2009 - 02:31
Rating: 2
tuerda

OK, so I am not one of the die hard entombed fans that you are talking about, but I did like "left hand path" when I heard it. It is the only other entombed album I have listened to. Anyways, someone recommended this and I gave it a listen. Let me say this clearly and bluntly: This is one of the worst metal albums I have listened to in years. It is truly awful. The riffs (if you can call them that) are absurdly repetitive and boring. The drumming and musicianship is very half baked, and the worst part are the vocals which sound more like nu metal vocals than like death vocals. I really would not recommend this album to anyone except a die hard entombed fan. 2/10 from me.
06.03.2009 - 17:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tuerda on 06.03.2009 at 02:31

and the worst part are the vocals which sound more like nu metal vocals than like death vocals.

Probably because they stopped with the death metal on 1993... duh :
Did you expect them to play the same style after so many albums?
If you just listened to the debut then you just can't expect the same from an album that comes after more than 15 years...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.03.2009 - 03:19
Rating: 2
tuerda

Fair enough. Nonetheless, they are still listed in MS as a death metal band, and this still doesn't affect the incredible badness of this album.
07.03.2009 - 19:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tuerda on 07.03.2009 at 03:19

Fair enough. Nonetheless, they are still listed in MS as a death metal band, and this still doesn't affect the incredible badness of this album.

Nope...

They are labeled between 1989-1992 as Death Metal
1992 -.... Is labeled as Death 'N' Roll

But still, you maked a point, the album is not good. Uprising on the other hand is a really good work of that style.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.01.2010 - 20:10
cjs675

The best Entombed album in 12 years, the opening track (and one or two others) is actually reminiscent of LHP/Clandestine era.

A lot of 1980's bands seem to be finding their mojo again, first United Abominations, then Death Magnetic and now Serpent Saints.

Good times!
----
Ever seen a motorcycle parked outside a shrinks office????
13.01.2012 - 05:02
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Deadsoulman on 22.09.2007 at 18:52

EDIT: I changed the artwork of the album to what it really is No more penises lol

My art work has a skull and crossbones emblem on it?

No penises what-so-ever?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.01.2012 - 05:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Why do I see a cover which isn't the actual cover?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2012 - 06:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2012 at 05:27
Why do I see a cover which isn't the actual cover?

Shouldn't it be this?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.01.2012 - 08:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 06:01
Shouldn't it be this?

I own the album on cd, and that is the cover of the slipcase the cd box comes in. (I own a digipak version) However, the cover of the booklet inside the actual cd box, is the one that's listed here as being the album cover...
13.01.2012 - 08:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Entombed: Y U NO CHOOSE JUST ONE COVER?!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.01.2012 - 08:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 08:20

The pic you posted I see as being the real cover, as it has the band name and album title on it. Whereas the other pic has niether. I'm not sure what cover the non-digipak version has though...

The Entombed skull and crossbones logo on a red background is on the booklet in my cd box.
18.02.2012 - 16:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.01.2012 at 08:24

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 08:20

The Entombed skull and crossbones logo on a red background is on the booklet in my cd box.

That's what My album cover is?!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 6445 | This month: 17