Release date: 2007

01. Into The Reality
02. War Anthems
03. The Signal
04. Rites
05. True Evil
06. Master Of Terror
07. Hacked Up For BBQ [Mortician cover]

We all know who Cryptopsy is of course, many of us actually love and know perfectly some of their most famous riffs and catchier patterns?this is exactly why I can't explain to myself the reason of Axon's approaches. These Mexican sickos sound insanely similar to the brutal and non technical side of the aforementioned Canadian band.

So you guessed right, the band ends up sounding quite brutal but simple and flat; it's still not dead though, their utter brutality makes it up for their lack of originality, after all today we can sadly count the fresh and original Death Metal bands with the fingers of just one hand. The whole album comes wrapped in all kind of bizarre twists in the songwriting, there's the classic silent pause here and there and powerful breakdowns all over the place, nothing we haven't heard before but it's really entertaining none the less.

The band tied the songs down greatly to plant a few good seeds that will probably grow in a couple of years. Mexico has few great bands in the scene, personally I love and prefer the underground side of this country where bands like Soulburner, Paracocci?, Semen and many more are raping the music, this is also where Axon falls actually, in the end this part of metal remains uncooked and very raw, but what the hell, that's how Disgorge started anyway.

So if you're looking for extreme Death Metal that almost no one knows, if you're a big fan of Cryptopsy's brutal ends or if you're willing to check one of the most Violent Mexican outfit, give Axon's "War Anthems" a try.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 6

Written by Herzebeth | 22.09.2007

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 6 users
22.09.2007 - 20:55
Baz Anderson

well pure brutallity is what I like, so I had a listen to the sample on their myspace, and yeh - it does sound very much like Cryptopsy, but I still liked it quite a bit
23.09.2007 - 13:30
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Ciolent... what's so hard about using a spellcheck? Otherwise a good review, I won't be checking it out cos I'm not that into Cryptopsy
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
23.09.2007 - 13:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Syk on 23.09.2007 at 13:30

Ciolent... what's so hard about using a spellcheck? Otherwise a good review, I won't be checking it out cos I'm not that into Cryptopsy

Oops, I was the one that proofread and somehow missed that
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 3135 | This month: 15