03. Plasma
04. Methodic
05. Modern Prophecy
06. Strain
07. The Unending
08. Chasm
09. The Diarist
10. Neurotyrant

Here is a new band that deserves your full attention because you will need all you got to follow Divinity into a pit of crushing compositions. The Calgary-based combo presents a juggernaut album with influences ranging from Death to Into Eternity to Meshuggah. I guess you get the picture; we are in front of a brutal mix of Thrash, Death and Progressive Metal.

First of all, the production is killer, which makes sense since Tue Madsen [Dark Tranquillity, The Haunted] mixed and mastered the record. The sound is so dead-on for Divinity's music; it makes their debut-album a solid contender for best Progressive Thrash album of the year.

All songs featured here are rhythmically insane, catchy and definitely surprising on all levels. From the unyielding vocals of Sean Jenkins to the unusual guitar work of Sacha Laskow and James Duncan, Divinity is a phenomenon to behold. The clinical drumming of Brett Duncan coupled with the progressive bass lines of Nick Foster create a unique powerful structure to all their songs.

While the lyrical choruses a la Shadows Fall pop in here and there, the strongest point of this band is its ability to throw listeners off at every turn possible. What other band changes rhythm 180 degrees in the middle of a guitar solo? I know maybe a handful, but rarely has it been done with such poise.

Tracks such as 'Chasm' and 'The Diarist' are not without evoking the band Death; however, above all Divinity earns its own sound through killer riffs and aggressive vocals.

Watch out people, the guys of Divinity already sound like accomplished musicians and Allegory is one of the most solid debut-albums I have heard in a long time. I foresee a great future for them, and I already await their next album eagerly. Divinity, remember that name.

Highlights: 'Induce', 'Plasma', 'Modern Prophecy' and 'Strain'.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written on 23.09.2007 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 48 users
24.09.2007 - 00:00
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Hmm, I will definitely check them out.
24.09.2007 - 10:00
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Fucken rights! another great band from my city, Calgary metal is really growing, hopefully someday my city will establish a name for metal.

Anyways, about the music. Great (as previously said). Im proud that there from my city, but unfortunately if it werent for that i probably wouldnt have paid much attention, not exactly my type of music, but thats not questioning the greatness of this band at all.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.09.2007 - 14:18
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Well, I've only just started listening to it, the first 3 tracks, and it already sounds better than Meshuggah to me. Kind of sounds closer to Gojira though.

Great find.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
22.04.2008 - 15:55
Dark-Member Alex
Account deleted
i think this band have a great future ahead
04.03.2009 - 09:57
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Finally got around to giving this album a thorough solid listen. I find it next to perfect, great time changes that make it really unpredictable. Unfortunately I'm not too big a fan of the clean vocals. They fit in some places but like I said, just can't get into them.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin

Hits total: 7225 | This month: 13