02. History Reversed
03. They Feed On Our Fear
04. Communication Sublime
05. The Distance
06. Ocean Bed
07. Silence Surrounds
08. Another Distance [piano version of "The Distance"] [bonus]
09. Conspiracy In Mind [piano version] [bonus]

In 2004 a demo called "Conspiracy In Mind" reached the land of the headbangers. Shortly after that followed a full-length release with the same name and it was received with great approval. Those responsible for the silvery disc hid themselves under the name of Communic. Often branded as "Progressive Heavy/Power Metal" which reminds us of another band that has always been difficult to label: Nevermore!

And they indeed sound quite like Nevermore. Tor Atle Gabrielsen-Andersen often utilizes the same artillery-like drumming, though usually less innovative than the kicks and slaps of Van Williams. Nothing to complain about the production, every instrument is clearly distinguishable which is good for a genre like this. The greatest resemblance with Nevermore comes from both the guitarwork and the vocals. Being responsible for both the guitarwork and the vocals, Oddleif Stensland can be regarded as star of this album without doubt. He alters between soul-touching picking and heavy riffing with what seems an almost natural feeling. Flowing over the great rhythmic guitar parts and melodic leads is the versatile voice of a man, at times a maniac, at times despaired, at times wise. His complex lyrics deal with various themes such as dreams and psychology.

Great guitar melodies, lovely vocals and poetic lyrics with interesting subjects, what else can one ask for? Only downside is they sound too much like Nevermore at times, but only truly legendary bands are completely unique on their début album. This album is a good slab of Progressive Heavy Metal, recommended for all those who like the genre and especially for the fans of Nevermore!

Are we lost in the garden of hypocrisy?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 13.08.2007 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 81 users
28.09.2007 - 10:55
Deadsoulman

This is an amazing debut album, although I still tend to regard the follow-up, Waves Of Visual Decay, as much better in the songwriting department. Some songs on this one sometimes plod along a bit too much. But it's still great.

About the mention of Nevermore... When I first heard this album, I really thought Communic sounded like Nevermore, mainly because of the vocals. With time, I don't think this influence is really that obvious. I now think Communic sounds more like old Manticora than like Nevermore. So I really don't agree with that: "Only downside is they sound too much like Nevermore at times".
28.09.2007 - 19:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Each to his own, then. I have never heard Manticora, so I cannot judge that statement. But thanks for reading and commenting.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.10.2008 - 07:55
Rating: 8
Nicko's Nose

Hmm, did you only listen to the title track or what? Most of the songs don't sound like Nevermore at all. Ok, the singer sounds a lot like Warrel Dane, but replace his vocals and no one would think it sounds like Nevermore.

The album deserves atleast an 8 for originality.
27.11.2008 - 13:43
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Is sounding like Nevermore something an album needs to be rated down for? I seem to be the only person on earh, but I am entitled to my opinion that this is the very best Communic album out there. Waves Of Visual Decay was alright and I never really liked their latest one. But nothing they ever did after Conspiracy In Mind had such depth and emotion. Every song is a gem (the two bonus track aside here, they annoy me). The only immediately apparent resemblance to Nevermore is the vocal work, and Warrel Dane doesn't have a patent on that. Close to 9 for me.
Still a very good review though. Every aspect of the album visited and nicely written too.
----
27.11.2008 - 17:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Great album. This is a very talented band.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 4600 | This month: 3