07. Till The End Of Time
08. Dreamchaser
09. Before The Storm
10. The Essence
11. Where Do We Go From Here?
12. Healing Tool [Japanese bonus]
13. Demon Nights [Japanese bonus]
+ Falling To Pieces (video)
+ The Firewind Documentary 2005/2006 (video)

"Firewind" seems to be a really unstable band if you're looking at all those line-up changes during the last years. It's like they're having a completely new line-up for each album, but since the main song writer and founder of the band is Gus G., they've managed to create a somewhat stable sound.

Just like with their previous albums, we have some new members here. Apollo Papathanasio came to fill in the frontman place and Mark Cross to take the drummer duties. My first impression when I heard this album is that Apollo is surely the best vocalist they had and he fits perfectly with the band's sound. His vocals are just perfect for this Heavy Power Metal music. He might not be screaming or too melodic as other vocalists in this genre of music but he's doing a great job with his characteristic voice. He's proof that you can have quality metal without screaming or growling... I don't know where he's been prior joining this band, since I have never heard of him before, but I truly hope he'll find a stable place here because he's the best man for this band.

This album was a very pleasant surprise for me from the first time when I saw it in the TV music charts. I can surely say that it's the best album of "Firewind" so far and maybe the best Power Metal album of 2006. How can it not be, when one of the best guitarists in the world is writing the music and playing the guitars? Gus G. made this band as a project and now has made it his primary band. So "Allegiance" comes in a time when Gus G. has gained enough experience from all his other bands and gives it all in this release. Here you can find some great riffs, amazing solos, shredding guitars and great melodies. It's a bit heavier than the usual power metal bands, so this album should be pleasant to a wider variety of listeners. Bob Katsionis also in the keyboards is doing a great job, synchronizing with Gus G. and creating the best possible atmosphere in every song. Don't forget that although Bob became famous from Death Metal bands, he has his own project in Power Metal, so he knows what he's doing here. Also for those who love female voices in metal, there's a duet with a Swede singer named Tara. Furthermore, you can find as bonus, a music video of the song "Falling to pieces" and a very interesting video documentary of the band's tour and the making of this record.

All these make "Allegiance" a great album and I'd recommend it to every Heavy or Power metal fan. It's surely worth the money, as long as it's in a normal price of course. I don't know how famous "Firewind" already are, but they're definitely one of the best upcoming bands worldwide.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by iaberis | 29.09.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 99 users
01.10.2007 - 19:16
GT
Coffee!!
I remember the first time I heard this album I was so disapointed...it was so boring except from the title track. Luckily the album grew on me and now I like most of the songs and still find the title track to be a killer.
Nice review eventhough I would have rated it around 8
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
01.10.2007 - 19:19
Rating: 9
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by GT on 01.10.2007 at 19:16

I remember the first time I heard this album I was so disapointed...it was so boring except from the title track. Luckily the album grew on me and now I like most of the songs and still find the title track to be a killer.
Nice review eventhough I would have rated it around 8

Falling to pieces is my favorite!
----
Bitch! Please
01.10.2007 - 19:30
GT
Coffee!!
@iaberis: yeah that's a nice track as well...nice and heavy. Among my favourites on this release as well
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
15.10.2007 - 01:15
Rating: 10
Iced Dog

One of my favorite albums of all time...Firewind have truly hit their stride here...Apollo is the perfect vocalist for them.
----
10.07.2008 - 03:26
Rating: 9
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Iced Dog on 15.10.2007 at 01:15

One of my favorite albums of all time...Firewind have truly hit their stride here...Apollo is the perfect vocalist for them.

Their new albums seems even better, Apollo is really great indeed.
----
Bitch! Please

Hits total: 5251 | This month: 6