Metal Storm logo
The Band that Invented Metal

Original post

Posted by Lupas, 01.06.2006 - 18:51
I wonder who was the first band that invented True Metal Music .
Some say that was OZZY or ACDC and others would say LED or even Metallica.
Better leave to you this decision
07.02.2014 - 18:33
Aristarchos

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2013 at 16:44

Venom aren't thrash And stylistically all those thrash bands are very similar whereas the bands who were part of the NWOBHM aren't stylistically similar. The only thing they have in common is that they play heavy metal.

I agree about Venom not being thrash, but they are labelled as blackened thrash on this site. I also agree that NWOBHM was more of an era than a music style, since they had very different sounds.
07.02.2014 - 19:07
Aristarchos

Written by harrysanders on 06.04.2013 at 05:36

If people think Sabbath is the first that's ok with me, But imho I think it's blue cheer. Blue cheer had all the power and Heaviness that's in metal , they also were one of the first to down tune their guitars and the first band to stack their amps. A lot of people referred to them as Hendrix rip-off but that's debatable cause both bands formed in 1966 Hendrix could of heard them in '66 and decided to rip off their sound before they could be signed. I think the were a lot heaver than Hendrix's band though, an influenced countless metal bands including Sabbath & Motorhead.

first metal bands in my opinion:

1. blue cheer
2. 31 flavors
3.bent wind
4. High Tide
5. Stray
6.Black Sabbath

I now a lot of other could be added between Sabbath and blue cheer but most of those bands are more Acid Rock then Metal.

I didn't know of Bent wind, but I liked them when I checked them out. I will add one of their songs on my list Songs from the 60's and 70's every metal fan should hear. Thanks!
23.02.2014 - 17:48
Aristarchos

Written by Patrick. on 01.01.2013 at 02:51

Written by Guest on 31.12.2012 at 21:29

Great sum up, my thoughts too.

For me personally Scorpiens (Fly to the Rainbow), Judas Priest (Sad Wings of Destiny), Motörhead (Overkill) and probably Rainbow were the first real metal bands, all active in the mid-late 70s.

All of those sure sound(ed) like Metal! I'm guessing bands like Ac/Dc, Kiss, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple were/are more Hard Rock than anything else(?) but had enormous influence on Metal. What about Sabbath? I've always considered them as Heavy Metal and some of the "founding daddies" of the genre.

Of course Sabbath is metal. Personally I would also add Budgie as one of the early bands that could be considered metal.
26.02.2014 - 02:02
Dungeon Shaker

Sabbath invented it, Priest perfected it.
----
www.thunderousvoices.com
26.02.2014 - 02:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Obviously it's Bring Me The Horizon.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.02.2014 - 10:56
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.02.2014 at 02:21

Obviously it's Bring Me The Horizon.

Thought it was Attack! Attack! No but seriously, every band have their inspirations, even those who started out really early playing metal. Is there such band that deserves the title for inventing _metal_?
17.05.2016 - 23:10
Enteroctopus

Written by Dungeon Shaker on 26.02.2014 at 02:02

Sabbath invented it, Priest perfected it.

This.