01. A Wise Birthgiver
02. Wall Of Water
03. Great Work Of Ages
04. Deconsecrate
05. Illuminate Eliminate
06. Psychic Horns
07. Key To The Storms
08. Anti

There is no need for a lengthy introduction here, since everyone that enjoys Black Metal should know the legendary and widely renowned Mayhem. In a few words: 'The True Mayhem' embodied by Euronymous died and left us "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" as musical legacy. When the world needed a new hero, 'The New Mayhem' arose. This 'New Mayhem' took their time to find the right path as could be heard on the experimental releases "A Grand Declaration Of War" and "Chimera". Opinions on these albums varied a lot and it cost Mayhem a lot of fans.

After many years, Blasphemer and co (as Blasphemer is the bandleader right now, responsible for all the music) did the only right thing to do: kick out Maniac and bring back Attila. And the result is once again innovative, groundbreaking and breathtaking as was also the case with the eternally evil début album.

A Wise Birthgiver reveals what we're in for. A thick, mudlike-produced, disorientating intro coming right out of the darkest corners of a schizophrenics mind. Those who hope the rest of the album will have more chorus-refrain based songs, should see this as the ultimate warning and get the hell out of. Instead, you are presented the ultimate journey through the mind of an evil genious. The seemingly random drums, the experimental riffing and the painful silences that sometimes rip the breathtaking thick air apart all play their part in this psychotic release of madness, but stand all in favor of personification of insanity.

And that is Attila. He already proved to be an amazing vocalist on the début album, where he sadly wasn't appreciated by everyone, but on this album he managed to surpass every Black Metal vocalist out there. From high-pitched screams to low and brutal vocals, he does it all. His dynamic vocals create highlights such as the incredibly powerful scream on Wall Of Waters. Or the ending of Great Work Of Ages, followed by the chaotic screaming on Deconsecrate. There is wailing, moaning, crying and despair. Combined with his achievement on "De Mysteriis..." he is one of the greatest Black Metal vocalist since the scene saw the unholy light.

As a final conclusion it should be clear that "Ordo Ad Chao" is definitely not an easy listening album and will need a lot of spins to be appreciated to it's fullest. However, it is worth all the effort as it will reveal to be an absolute masterpiece. Hail The New Mayhem!

enter another sphere / complete the emptiness / desperately alone / fuck the race

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 04.10.2007 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 37   Visited by: 389 users
27.11.2008 - 23:05
Rating: 10
TheBigRossowski

Written by Doc G. on 16.10.2007 at 08:21

Written by Hyvaarin on 15.10.2007 at 16:24

Written by Doc G. on 08.10.2007 at 02:38

what an overrated album. Seriously.

You just don't get black metal .

Dont scare me like that man, i thought id have to brace myself for another onslaught of childish name calling.

Sorry, this is way old, but I had to quote you. You dirty-know nothing about black metal-hooker-poser, you!

Seriously, Lucas this review is great man, one of your best! That drumming really tied the album together, lol. Before I had been nagged to listen to this I had only heard "Deathcrush", "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" and "Live in Leipzig". DMDS destroyed my world, it was so powerful! The first time I heard it, I hated this sound and it became one of my classic favorites! After hearing Grand Declaration.. I was skeptical. But people persistently said I should listen to it.

Now I've had it for quite some time, I still don't own it, BUT SOON! This album is a must-have, a masterpiece and truly disgusting. I fucking love it! I really do not understand how people couldn't enjoy this album?!

I'm finally voting on the album and I'm giving it a ten. M-A-S-T-E-R-P-I-E-C-E!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
28.11.2008 - 06:49
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by TheBigRossowski on 27.11.2008 at 23:05

Written by Doc G. on 16.10.2007 at 08:21

Written by Hyvaarin on 15.10.2007 at 16:24

Written by Doc G. on 08.10.2007 at 02:38

what an overrated album. Seriously.

You just don't get black metal .

Dont scare me like that man, i thought id have to brace myself for another onslaught of childish name calling.

Sorry, this is way old, but I had to quote you. You dirty-know nothing about black metal-hooker-poser, you!

Seriously, Lucas this review is great man, one of your best! That drumming really tied the album together, lol. Before I had been nagged to listen to this I had only heard "Deathcrush", "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" and "Live in Leipzig". DMDS destroyed my world, it was so powerful! The first time I heard it, I hated this sound and it became one of my classic favorites! After hearing Grand Declaration.. I was skeptical. But people persistently said I should listen to it.

Now I've had it for quite some time, I still don't own it, BUT SOON! This album is a must-have, a masterpiece and truly disgusting. I fucking love it! I really do not understand how people couldn't enjoy this album?!

I'm finally voting on the album and I'm giving it a ten. M-A-S-T-E-R-P-I-E-C-E!

Well, as I've repeated many times by now, I've learned to enjoy it a little bit. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a masterpiece or anything, but I find it ok.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.05.2009 - 20:37
Rating: 9
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Man, this review is as excellent as the album. Really good. Perfect score also, this album is almost perfect. We can put it side by side with De Mysteriis, even thou this one is not as brutal as De Mysteriis, the quality and the atmosphere balance the equation.
''Wall of Water'' and ''Great work of ages'' are the highlights.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
13.10.2009 - 13:13
Rating: 9
BudDa

Written by Lucas on 05.10.2007 at 21:35

Actually, I think this album could rival De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas as being their best effort.

My thoughts exactly. And I think the albums are abit similar just the Ordo Ad Chao is just alot slower which suits me perfectly!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
16.03.2010 - 15:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Just listen to this album for about the 50th time and i'm still convinced it's a contender for album of the last decade. It's just perfect in every conceivable way. I pity those that didn't appreciate it, though I can understand why, lack of any real hooks and that bassy production makes it a difficult album (even though i loved it from the very first second).

Makes DMDS look like clumsy relic. This is creative genius at its sickest and best.
17.03.2010 - 13:06
InnerSelf
proofread free
I know this will sound odd but I owe Dan Brown's "The lost symbol" because it made me like the album alot more than when I listened to it before
Ordo ad Chao or " Order from Chaos " is what this album is all about , the title expresses the tracks in the most appropriate way
One of the best of Black Metal albums I have ever heard
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
28.04.2010 - 11:22
InnerSelf
proofread free
I realized after writing my post that I got it all wrong , but I believe that Chaos in Latin is written Chao
after all it doesn't matter
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.

Hits total: 12133 | This month: 17