Metal Storm logo
Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 08.10.2007 - 09:40
Continuation of the (at times) great thread by Damnated.

Last thing mentioned was the LLN *sigh, again*, and SVEST.
07.10.2013 - 14:42
Uldreth
Written by Guest on 07.10.2013 at 14:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2013 at 13:48

yep the Slavic NSBM bands crap me up every time

They what?

Its always fun to learn new expressions from the old man (frone being a prime example) though in this case I think he meant crack .

At least more fun than Cynic or K2 cause, at least it is syntactically correct .
07.10.2013 - 14:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 07.10.2013 at 14:42

Its always fun to learn new expressions from the old man (frone being a prime example) though in this case I think he meant crack .

At least more fun than Cynic or K2 cause, at least it is syntactically correct .

It's definitely an excellent typo from the old guy
07.10.2013 - 15:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 07.10.2013 at 14:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2013 at 13:48

yep the Slavic NSBM bands crap me up every time

They what?

damn, apparently not entire awake and still had my depends in when I wrote that "crack me up" it should be, of course
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.10.2013 - 21:11
no one
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2013 at 12:20

Written by Uldreth on 07.10.2013 at 03:09

Wow.

I thought this species of BMers were extinct, or confined to ANUS :/ .

Quote:
.don't forget the Metal Archives forum, they still dwell there too. And the funny thing is it's all people who weren't into black metal or metal or even born yet when the second wave of bm (i.e. the primarily Norwegian wave) hit the scene

i don't know what anus is but "metal archives" oh my fucking god, they even type and dramatically describe music like they are from medieval times.

btw, as i say i have only been listening to bm for a couple of years, i am simply stating the way i see it. I'm not trying to be a troo black metaler or anything. There is nothing wrong with a little debate that's what makes forums a little interesting sometimes.
07.10.2013 - 21:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 07.10.2013 at 21:11

i don't know what anus is

ANUS is this site http://www.anus.com go there read it and laugh (or cry) your head off
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.10.2013 - 21:21
Uldreth

i don't know what anus is but "metal archives" oh my fucking god, they even type and dramatically describe music like they are from medieval times.

btw, as i say i have only been listening to bm for a couple of years, i am simply stating the way i see it. I'm not trying to be a troo black metaler or anything. There is nothing wrong with a little debate that's what makes forums a little interesting sometimes.

The above tirade was not about you but Rasputin. Well at least my part was.

I have nothing against him personally or anything but I think his points were kinda stupid or at least pointless.

No music genre is an ideology or a way of life or anything like that. BM is BM cause of the type of riffs they use, the type of structures they use, the type of production they use, and to a lesser extent, the type of vocals they use.

If BM stayed "true" then instead of a diverse genre, everyone would be rehashing the same sound they had in the early 90s, which is I doubt anything anyone wants.

Not to mention, an extremely small minority of those bands were truly satanic. They just used satanic imagery and lyrics to try to shock people and dress their anti-religious sentiments up.
Hell, fucking Hellhammer recorded drums for Antestor (a christian black metal band) at one point because there was a friend of his in the band and they asked him to. Sooo trve satanistic.

I think Euronymous was a theistic satanist, or at least claimed to be, the rest probably just did that for the lulz.
07.10.2013 - 21:51
no one
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 07.10.2013 at 21:21

I have nothing against him personally or anything but I think his points were kinda stupid or at least pointless.

No music genre is an ideology or a way of life or anything like that. BM is BM cause of the type of riffs they use, the type of structures they use, the type of production they use, and to a lesser extent, the type of vocals they use.

If BM stayed "true" then instead of a diverse genre, everyone would be rehashing the same sound they had in the early 90s, which is I doubt anything anyone wants.

Not to mention, an extremely small minority of those bands were truly satanic. They just used satanic imagery and lyrics to try to shock people and dress their anti-religious sentiments up.
Hell, fucking Hellhammer recorded drums for Antestor (a christian black metal band) at one point because there was a friend of his in the band and they asked him to. Sooo trve satanistic.

I think Euronymous was a theistic satanist, or at least claimed to be, the rest probably just did that for the lulz.

thank fuck for that
I'm really enjoying discovering this massively wide spectrum of this genre called black metal, but some of the characters ya come across... not really in this forum but else where, i suppose that's what ya get with extreme music..extreme personalities
08.10.2013 - 02:09
SmokyPeat
Written by Guest on 07.10.2013 at 21:51

i suppose that's what ya get with extreme music..extreme personalities

And extreme junkies like Blake Judd lol
08.10.2013 - 19:11
Rasputin
Written by Uldreth on 07.10.2013 at 21:21

That is your perspective, and I have no problem with that. I didn't say that everyone was following the lifestyle of BM, but that some of them did, and at the same time BM did have its place and its ideology. Now, some of that was nothing but a gimmick, and some actually believed what they preached. Varg Vikerness, truly believes what he believes, but he is not in BM anymore. Then you had the ones who burned churches...
What I am saying, is that BM in its original form, with its original message and imagery, is not relevant anymore. They had that "shock" effect, anti Christian sentiment/satanism, bla bla bla, but no one cares about that anymore, it is not scary and offensive.

As far as the sound is concerned, you still have a crap load of bands who do the old sound, they never grew up.
09.10.2013 - 15:24
Uldreth
Written by Rasputin on 08.10.2013 at 19:11

That is your perspective, and I have no problem with that. I didn't say that everyone was following the lifestyle of BM, but that some of them did, and at the same time BM did have its place and its ideology. Now, some of that was nothing but a gimmick, and some actually believed what they preached. Varg Vikerness, truly believes what he believes, but he is not in BM anymore. Then you had the ones who burned churches...
What I am saying, is that BM in its original form, with its original message and imagery, is not relevant anymore. They had that "shock" effect, anti Christian sentiment/satanism, bla bla bla, but no one cares about that anymore, it is not scary and offensive.

As far as the sound is concerned, you still have a crap load of bands who do the old sound, they never grew up.

But Kristen wasn't really a satanist either. Sure he wrote lyrics about satan (less so with Burzum but for example there is that song off Darkthrone's Panzerfaust for which he wrote the lyrics) and there was a time he identified as a satanist, but he later revoked that cause he viewed satanism as just an "inverse" form of christianity. He is pretty much a pagan. And though I havent read all of Burzum's lyrics (especially that I kinda hate everything Kristen stands for), they never came accross to me as being satanic or even anything shocking, just being about mythologies in general.

I get what you mean and agree with it as well on a /factual/ level, but its subjective interpretations, no.

I don't understand why is it a problem. You admitted that there still are "trve" BM bands for those people who like that sound. If they are not shocking anymore, why is it a problem?

I mean, that is just an image-thing. I find it funny how dedicated extreme metallers often speak up against more mainstream music they view as image-oriented but metal music is just as image-oriented. Except here the image is either "look at me how OFFENSIVE I am" or "look at me how MACHO I am" instead of "look at us how CUTE our vocalist is".

No offense, but do you like black metal because you like how the music sounds, or because it used to be offensive music?

If the latter then I have bad news for you because it is extremely hard to be shocking these days. Back in the 60s-80s hard rock and glam metal (!!!!!) bands used to be shocking because even "enlightened" societies used to be very religious and very conservative at the time, and whilst I am not trying to start a political tirade, conservativism, by its very basis, that it clings to established norms and ideals and gets along badly with any "deviance" is very easy to shock because as I said, they react badly to deviance, and when something is shocking, it generally is shocking because it is deviant in an offensive or grotesque way.

Present day societies in the western world, even the mostly conservative and religious US moved past that point, and most shocking/offensive stuff has been done to death, so things in general lost their shock value.

And since this is an image-oriented thing, I find it quite incorrect to say BM is dead. I am not huge on black metal these days and I absolutely do not care the slightest bit for second-wave black metal but I do like bands like A Forest of Stars or Ved Buens Ende who do something unusual and cool with the genre.

And you know, those elements have been present even in the early scene. For every band doing shocksatanism, there was a band singing about dark fantasy and trying to just create brooding/ominous atmospheres, and those bands had a tendency to play with elements I would go as far as classifying as "beautiful". Arcturus, In The Woods..., Dimmu Borgir and Emperor come to mind and all four of those were early BM bands.

So the roots of present-day BM bands who play a bit outside their genre actually reach as far as pretty much the genre's inception.
09.10.2013 - 19:36
ANGEL REAPER
Hell i made more satanist lyrics without even once mentioning satan than today's "trve BM" bands end of story ...that part of BM is dead ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.10.2013 - 22:04
Rasputin
Written by Uldreth on 09.10.2013 at 15:24

Written by Rasputin on 08.10.2013 at 19:11

But Kristen wasn't really a satanist either. Sure he wrote lyrics about satan (less so with Burzum but for example there is that song off Darkthrone's Panzerfaust for which he wrote the lyrics) and there was a time he identified as a satanist, but he later revoked that cause he viewed satanism as just an "inverse" form of christianity. He is pretty much a pagan. And though I havent read all of Burzum's lyrics (especially that I kinda hate everything Kristen stands for), they never came accross to me as being satanic or even anything shocking, just being about mythologies in general.

I get what you mean and agree with it as well on a /factual/ level, but its subjective interpretations, no.

I don't understand why is it a problem. You admitted that there still are "trve" BM bands for those people who like that sound. If they are not shocking anymore, why is it a problem?

I mean, that is just an image-thing. I find it funny how dedicated extreme metallers often speak up against more mainstream music they view as image-oriented but metal music is just as image-oriented. Except here the image is either "look at me how OFFENSIVE I am" or "look at me how MACHO I am" instead of "look at us how CUTE our vocalist is".

No offense, but do you like black metal because you like how the music sounds, or because it used to be offensive music?

If the latter then I have bad news for you because it is extremely hard to be shocking these days. Back in the 60s-80s hard rock and glam metal (!!!!!) bands used to be shocking because even "enlightened" societies used to be very religious and very conservative at the time, and whilst I am not trying to start a political tirade, conservativism, by its very basis, that it clings to established norms and ideals and gets along badly with any "deviance" is very easy to shock because as I said, they react badly to deviance, and when something is shocking, it generally is shocking because it is deviant in an offensive or grotesque way.

Present day societies in the western world, even the mostly conservative and religious US moved past that point, and most shocking/offensive stuff has been done to death, so things in general lost their shock value.

And since this is an image-oriented thing, I find it quite incorrect to say BM is dead. I am not huge on black metal these days and I absolutely do not care the slightest bit for second-wave black metal but I do like bands like A Forest of Stars or Ved Buens Ende who do something unusual and cool with the genre.

And you know, those elements have been present even in the early scene. For every band doing shocksatanism, there was a band singing about dark fantasy and trying to just create brooding/ominous atmospheres, and those bands had a tendency to play with elements I would go as far as classifying as "beautiful". Arcturus, In The Woods..., Dimmu Borgir and Emperor come to mind and all four of those were early BM bands.

So the roots of present-day BM bands who play a bit outside their genre actually reach as far as pretty much the genre's inception.

I agree with a lot of things that you said, I guess we just disagree what BM means to you in comparison what it means to me. BM for me was the whole package, once you incorporate the image, the sound, the edge, the lyrics, the links to mythology, mystic writings, occult, satanism...the list goes on. So in my eyes, and not just mine, but the individuals who got immersed in the BM subculture, what we saw as BM exists no more, or should I say, the time for it has passed. And when you look at bands like Vreid for instance who just used the sound and song structure, I can see the influence, I can see what they are doing, but for me that is not enough. So maybe that's were we separate. Now, this does not mean that I am a Kvlt purist motherfucker by any means, I just find it silly in a lot of bands to continue to do the same thing Marduk, Dimmu, Behemoth, Gorgoroth/Godseed... when the era for that is gone. So that's why I say that BM is dead, and what's left may have BM influence, and it may have started as such, but when in comparison you use the bands you suggested like Paysage or Gris or any other, I can never see them as BM, but a derivative of it.

BM initially was just a response to the over produced Death Metal bands, and it grew into something else. But like I said, what it meant for me at the time when I listened to it, and embraced the culture, does not mean the same to you. For me it was always more than just the image and sound, it was a part of life, if that makes any sense.

Cheers

And on that note @Angel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQJqZFUell8
29.10.2013 - 23:56
Matt S
Came across a new band today: https://eissturm.bandcamp.com/. Pretty cool Black Metal/Ambient stuff. I like that style quite a bit. Anyone else here into Paysage D'hiver? I think their self-titled album and Winterkalte are pretty hard to beat as far as the black metal/ambient genre goes.
30.10.2013 - 06:51
no one
Account deleted
Written by Matt S on 29.10.2013 at 23:56

Came across a new band today: https://eissturm.bandcamp.com/. Pretty cool Black Metal/Ambient stuff. I like that style quite a bit. Anyone else here into Paysage D'hiver? I think their self-titled album and Winterkalte are pretty hard to beat as far as the black metal/ambient genre goes.

Yeah love paysage d'hiver, haven't listened to all the albums yet but i have those two albums, and yeah there amazing. I am trying to collect all of them at the mo (well re issues) but i'm not sure if i will be able to justify paying over a hundred bucks for "Die Festung "

downloading that album now
04.11.2013 - 23:58
Matt S
You can get a lot of their albums as mp3 albums for dirt cheap on amazon. Not as cool as the physical product though... but still. It's something.
05.11.2013 - 07:42
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Eibon and Ramlord are pretty good.

http://ramlord.bandcamp.com/
http://eibon.bandcamp.com/
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
05.11.2013 - 08:18
no one
Account deleted
Written by Matt S on 04.11.2013 at 23:58

You can get a lot of their albums as mp3 albums for dirt cheap on amazon. Not as cool as the physical product though... but still. It's something.

or you can just download the entire discograohy for free on a pirate site, but it's just not the same
11.11.2013 - 12:52
Moose
I've been enjoying the band Entropia (POL) lately. Their new album Vesper is some really fantastic post-black metal, and it would be a shame if they didn't get recognition/added to metalstorm in time for end of year awards.

There's a bit of a spoken voice intro to this song. Track starts around 0:33:

11.11.2013 - 14:40
Paz
elite
Written by Moose on 11.11.2013 at 12:52

I've been enjoying the band Entropia (POL) lately. Their new album Vesper is some really fantastic post-black metal, and it would be a shame if they didn't get recognition/added to metalstorm in time for end of year awards.

Totally-fucking-awesome-album.

Shame it won't be added, because 'post-black' hate factor is quite high among staff members
11.11.2013 - 19:04
Góral
Combo Breaker

and it would be a shame if they didn't get recognition/added to metalstorm in time for end of year awards.

Well said, I'm with you.
12.11.2013 - 07:31
no one
Account deleted

There's a bit of a spoken voice intro to this song. Track starts around 0:33:

thanks sounds interesting, mite download an album for a proper listen
12.11.2013 - 14:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Paz on 11.11.2013 at 14:40

Shame it won't be added, because 'post-black' hate factor is quite high among staff members

where the hell did you get that idea from?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2013 - 15:25
Paz
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.11.2013 at 14:03

Written by Paz on 11.11.2013 at 14:40

where the hell did you get that idea from?

Prove me wrong and add them
27.07.2015 - 13:29
Mishbar
For any fans of Ofermod/Malign, this will surely excite you!

Members of the forementioned bands!

28.07.2015 - 11:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
I saw Malign live once and they were pretty great. Liked that Mephorash track too.
By the way, aren't Malign in the process of recording a new album or something like that?
----
02.09.2015 - 15:59
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
elite
Just look up for reactions on black metal mixed with some external music element, and with some other metal elements...
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
22.12.2015 - 08:44
feri ferdian
Hi buddy,..
I want to introduce a band from my hometown. those of Semarang, a small town in Indonesia. they are paganism
I do not really know them, but they often perform at a local cafe.
well, how do you think the music that they bring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnKlJekfg4
18.01.2016 - 10:22
IA\SS/MM
Hail to all
I have special winter offer for Black Metal bands here: http://iassmm.com
Online mixing and mastering only 25$ per song.

Cheers
13.03.2016 - 01:25
Dark funeral
enthroned
goat whore
darnkness
cradle of flith
try these !
04.04.2016 - 20:56
DilemmaDoD

----
Dominance of Darkness Records