Metal Storm logo
Khanate

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 02.06.2006 - 07:24
Khanate are my favourite Drone Doom band... their music is extremely heavy and ugly, a pain that really produces an effect on you... "Things Viral" is the masterpiece of the genre, an albuym fullfilled by filth and negative feelings.... that's all I guess, at least for them moment cause I' right now dreadfully drunk.
09.06.2006 - 16:40
Zombie, M.D.
@JoeDoom: As Tommy Tee said, I stated it was drone DOOM because "drone" isnt a metal/rock oriented genre. As far a stretch as it is, Khanate is rock oriented at its core.

I wasnt aware I had to be listening to a band since its conception in order to not be a bandwagon jumper. So what if I only got into doom/drone heavily in the last few years? How does this effect anything at all? I also didnt say Khanate was an ambient band, I said "...it can be ambient", which the music can be at times.

You just seem to be upset that Im giving your friend Despondency a hard time.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
09.06.2006 - 16:46
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"@Ba'al Peor - No, a difference of opinion dosen't make somone ignorant. Placing a band in an obvious incorrect genre does. Awwww... I bet you looked through all of my posts until you found a mispelled word.. You're such a cutie. ^_^
I love 16 year old Aussies. =)"

And what makes your definitions of genres and musical tastes so much more valid than everyone elses when you are the only one who doesnt explain or validate your responses (or at least attempt a reply, whether it is right or wrong)?
09.06.2006 - 17:26
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.06.2006 at 06:49

@Ba'al Peor - No, a difference of opinion dosen't make somone ignorant. Placing a band in an obvious incorrect genre does. Awwww... I bet you looked through all of my posts until you found a mispelled word.. You're such a cutie. ^_^
I love 16 year old Aussies. =)

Nice comment by someone who talks about Tristania as "depressive black metal"

get a life
10.06.2006 - 00:22
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i wouldn't call it 'drone doom' if it has no drums or vocals. 'drone doom' implies that its metal (doom METAL?). i wouldn't describe hitting a chord on a bass and letting it ring out for 3 seconds before striking another without any other instruments or vocals as metal.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
10.06.2006 - 07:07
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"Alright. First off.
@Southern Wind - Learn to read. I said they were my opinions. You cannot tell me that MY opinions are false. You should read my post before commenting on it. Besides, you don't know shit about black metal. So I laugh at your questioning of my reasoning."

Then why are Southern Winds' opinions all suddenly false? And i fail to see where he questioned anything you said in his last post....
10.06.2006 - 08:47
Falcon
Written by Guest on 10.06.2006 at 07:07

"Alright. First off.
@Southern Wind - Learn to read. I said they were my opinions. You cannot tell me that MY opinions are false. You should read my post before commenting on it. Besides, you don't know shit about black metal. So I laugh at your questioning of my reasoning."

Then why are Southern Winds' opinions all suddenly false? And i fail to see where he questioned anything you said in his last post....

Ah, don't waste more energy on him, he's just an idiot
----

°~\m/~° Thoughts of death inside tear me apart from the core of my soul °~\m/~°
10.06.2006 - 12:38
JoeDoom
Account deleted
Written by -tom- on 09.06.2006 at 14:35

by "drone DOOM" he meant that khanate are an extreme doom band that incorporate a lot of bass drone and feedback into their sound, whereas 'drone' would be like early sunn o or some trollman ov ildtoppberg (i.e. no drums,vocals)

This is actually a fairly well articulated response...

Written by -tom- on 10.06.2006 at 00:22

i wouldn't call it 'drone doom' if it has no drums or vocals. 'drone doom' implies that its metal (doom METAL?). i wouldn't describe hitting a chord on a bass and letting it ring out for 3 seconds before striking another without any other instruments or vocals as metal.

Clearly there are metal bands out there who are purely instrumental. Clearly there are metal bands who use only bass guitars or no bass guitars. And clearly there are metal bands who hit a chord and let it ring out of 3 seconds before striking another. So you're only argument for Sunn O))) not being doom metal is that there needs to be the presence of drums in order for something to be metal (your other points are moot).

So if Autopsy's riffs were played without drumming, it would cease to be metal?

You say Autopsy's riffs would still contain enough conventions in death metal for it to remain metal... and Sunn O))) does not some how have enough to remain drone doom metal?

Last time I checked Sunn O)))'s music wasn't done by accordions or harmoniums.
10.06.2006 - 12:41
JoeDoom
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.06.2006 at 23:41

Alright. First off.
@Southern Wind - Learn to read. I said they were my opinions. You cannot tell me that MY opinions are false. You should read my post before commenting on it. Besides, you don't know shit about black metal. So I laugh at your questioning of my reasoning.

@Ba'al Peor - I said that Khanate was NOT drone. Just because a music is slow does not mean it's drone. My first post was just recommending some research, or actually paying attention to the band you're making a topic on. You should all thank me anyway. If it weren't for me this topic would have been dead and boring.

@Tommy Tee - If a band has feedback, and lots of bass does not make it drone. -_-' ... and Sunn O))) is drone doom, and so is the other band. Man, you have a very weak concept of musical genres. 'drone' would be the hum of your refrigerator, your washing machine, or some Coil.

This angsty teen just seems to have his panties all up in a twist
10.06.2006 - 12:48
JoeDoom
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 09.06.2006 at 16:40

@JoeDoom: As Tommy Tee said, I stated it was drone DOOM because "drone" isnt a metal/rock oriented genre. As far a stretch as it is, Khanate is rock oriented at its core.

I wasnt aware I had to be listening to a band since its conception in order to not be a bandwagon jumper. So what if I only got into doom/drone heavily in the last few years? How does this effect anything at all? I also didnt say Khanate was an ambient band, I said "...it can be ambient", which the music can be at times.

You just seem to be upset that Im giving your friend Despondency a hard time.

I never said you were conclusively a trend hopper. The facts merely suggest that conclusion. The rise in popularity of drone doom and your sudden interest in the genre may be coincendental. It's also "affect," not "effect." But on that point, only having listened to a genre for so long is fairly well correlated to your experience and knowledge with it. Obviously this depends also on your ability to learn, motivation, and resources/environment, but these are more difficult to judge and quantify.
10.06.2006 - 17:37
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Guest on 10.06.2006 at 12:38

Clearly there are metal bands out there who are purely instrumental. Clearly there are metal bands who use only bass guitars or no bass guitars. And clearly there are metal bands who hit a chord and let it ring out of 3 seconds before striking another. So you're only argument for Sunn O))) not being doom metal is that there needs to be the presence of drums in order for something to be metal (your other points are moot).

So if Autopsy's riffs were played without drumming, it would cease to be metal?

You say Autopsy's riffs would still contain enough conventions in death metal for it to remain metal... and Sunn O))) does not some how have enough to remain drone doom metal?

Last time I checked Sunn O)))'s music wasn't done by accordions or harmoniums.

a recording of autopsy's riffs played without vocals and drums could still be considered metal because the guitarwrok is based around what is considered the standard in metal. sunn o's music is not. there are riffs, but they would hardly be considerd standard of metal in thwe same way autopsy (for example) would. the fact its played on a bass guitar rather than an instrument usually not associated with metal is irrelevent.

i consider them metal in the view that their intention was to create the same type of slow heaviness of doom, but they have taken it to too much of an extreme to still be considerd metal
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
10.06.2006 - 18:21
Southern Wind
Account deleted
mmm there are genres that not being Metal, they SOUND Metal.. among them, there are some that has some roots in Metal an other ones that not at all (like sludge or noisecore for example)...

About Drone Doom, I'm not an expert a all... I had been listening to this genre since not more than one year ago and only few bands (I actually confess that my interest for Sunn O))) and then for Khanate and Earth was due to that weird "elitist trend" that happens from time to time), and I see it that, although it's a genre that is not Metal a lot, have the heaviness and stunning density that some metalheads tend to like... I won't fall in the game of saying "this is not metal because it lacks this riff or that is metal cause it has that drumbeat", but I consider that most people who likes Metal like a special force in music, and drone can give that.

About Khanate, I don't have the knowledge resources necessary to give arguments about if they are metal or not, but they WITHOUT DOUBT sound Metal.
04.08.2006 - 23:41
Dyscolia
Account deleted
Khanate are definately metal, no doubt about that. On www.doom-metal.com Khanate falls under an undefinable category of bands just for everyone's information, meaning that there is no definite style that would describe their music (if you can call it music) But personally I would consider them to be closer to Drone doom. They have a lot of drone elements, even though they use drums n vocals (presence or absence of which which is not a criteria for droneness).
Also I found their album worse off than their Khanate release. But that is just a matter of taste.
10.10.2006 - 12:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 04.08.2006 at 23:41

Khanate are definately metal, no doubt about that. On www.doom-metal.com Khanate falls under an undefinable category of bands just for everyone's information, meaning that there is no definite style that would describe their music (if you can call it music) But personally I would consider them to be closer to Drone doom. They have a lot of drone elements, even though they use drums n vocals (presence or absence of which which is not a criteria for droneness).
Also I found their album worse off than their Khanate release. But that is just a matter of taste.

I agree whit you I had hear this album ''Khanate'' an dthis band are drone doom lyrics, music sound albums all ist drone doom
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2006 - 15:44
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 10.10.2006 at 12:26

I agree whit you I had hear this album ''Khanate'' an dthis band are drone doom lyrics, music sound albums all ist drone doom

Mmmm I can't really think what do you mean with "Drone Doom Lyrics"... if the genre is musically difficult to define, lyrically it would be impossible as it doesn't have an original lyrical style.
12.10.2006 - 16:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.10.2006 at 15:44

Written by Bad English on 10.10.2006 at 12:26

Mmmm I can't really think what do you mean with "Drone Doom Lyrics"... if the genre is musically difficult to define, lyrically it would be impossible as it doesn't have an original lyrical style.

Thats what I mean all lyrics can be Drone, read Sun O))) ist wierd lyrics, this abnd ha ssame and I agree its hard to define drome doom
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.12.2006 - 19:10
Om
Account deleted
Khanate is one of those bands that you can't really compare to any 'look-a-likes' - I think they're quite unique and I think that's mainly because of the vocals. They're sick, painful, suffocating - just awesome. I love the minimalism of the music in total in which you hear more every time you listen.
23.04.2010 - 03:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Boink.

Just because I really, really liked their last album. More dark ambient than extreme doom or whatever you want to call whatever they used to play (which never really interested me that much, prefered Burning Witch's style).

So is the Clean Hands album really the last one?
23.04.2010 - 17:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 23.04.2010 at 03:03

Boink.

Just because I really, really liked their last album. More dark ambient than extreme doom or whatever you want to call whatever they used to play (which never really interested me that much, prefered Burning Witch's style).

So is the Clean Hands album really the last one?

I think that it is their last one... I haven't read anything more about this guys.
The last album was just ok. I preffer their other albums over the last one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.