05. Architheme
06. Nascence
07. Iridescence
08. Sound Odyssey
09. Cantus Christi
10. Zenith
11. Argentic
12. Deorbit

There is nothing like finding a great band that you had totally ignored before. Novembre is one of those combos with little exposure to a large audience but who would deserve to be playing center stage at any Metal festival. Mixing very progressive elements with a softer blend of doom a la Anathema, the band from Rome has big things to offer. Anchored by two brothers, Novembre is no newcomer as The Blue is already album number 7, and what an album it is!

Continuing the trendy progression showcased on their previous album, 2006's Materia, Novembre once again pulled together a killer album. Long-time members Carmelo Orlando [guitars, vocals], Giuseppe Orlando [drums] and Massimiliano Pagliuso [guitars] have such chemistry. And with the addition of Luca Giovagnoli as a full-time bassist, the band is stronger than ever.

The exceptional song-writing that made Materia a standout album is also the main drive behind The Blue. Blending aggressive rhythm and growls with ever-present catchy melodies and breath-taking clean vocals, the musicians are at the top of their game. The mixed vocal styles of Carmelo, ranging from growls to pure clean voice, are an integral part of the band trademark style.

So many labels have been used for their music - from melodic doom to progressive gothic - that I have given up on categorizing their sound. Once again, diversity is the key word for the Italian combo. Each song is memorable, melancholic but catchy, often fast but melodic. As the album unfolds, one can only enjoy the work. There is something indefinable about Novembre's music, a hidden charm that captures listeners.

Brandished as Opeth copycats in their early years, the guys from Rome took their own musical path a long time ago, and it's about time for those guys to get the praise and support they have deserved for the last 13 years. The Blue is a really strong album and it will remain amongst 2007's best releases for sure. Widen your musical horizons with this album, it is really worth it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 12.10.2007 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 218 users
12.10.2007 - 06:59
Rating: 9
MetalManic

Finally, some much deserved appreciation for an amazing band and fabulous album! This is definatly a top for 2007.
12.10.2007 - 07:20
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I never could get into "Materia," but wow this new album is so much better. The vocals have much more diversity and the music's got an all around darker feel in my opinion. A great disc that deserves such a high rating!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
12.10.2007 - 11:39
atrox

The album is really good. Actually it sounds a lot like Nahemah
12.10.2007 - 12:26
Merchant of Doom

I don't think Novembre have had little exposure. They are massive in many countries (as massive you can be playing this type of metal). The album is another masterpiece, but the vocals are more 'screamed' in the death style than growled. Clean vocals are fab. There are some weaker tracks (the album is very long), but overall the quality is very consistent. Recommended.
12.10.2007 - 13:38
DragonSlayer
Account deleted
One of the best albums to come out this year. Top notch performance from all of the band members. They equal Opeth in terms of songwriting and surpass them in originality, although the growls and the clean voice don't quite reach Åkerfeldt status (lets face it - he's the master )

Top 5 this year.
13.10.2007 - 08:39
MUSIC?
Account deleted
Whoa, I had no idea they released a new album. And a good review! I'll have to find this. I loved material.
14.10.2007 - 23:24
Ivor
Staff
Listening to it right now for the first time. Excellent! I love what I hear. I discovered Novembre over a year ago, although I'm not entirely sure it was "Materia" that caught my attention back then. Anyways, this new album is definitely a surprise, for I too wasn't expecting it. So far it's good, subsequent listenings will tell how it will stand the test of time.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
20.10.2007 - 22:06
Rating: 8
frons79

Yeah I agree with the review. I'd like to quote that in the first years of existence they were seen as Opeth-sound's followers, but in reality their first album 'Wish I Could Dream It Again' (1994) was released before 'Orchid' by Opeth...
25.10.2007 - 18:04
Deadsoulman

Somehow I can't get into Novembre. I can't really get into their old albums, I still can't get into Materia, and I currently cannot get into The Blue. I recognize that there must be something big in this music, I recognize that in theory this is great, and I find the vocal harmonies amazing. But that's it. It just doesn't grab my attention. That's weird. I don't know why...
15.02.2008 - 22:24
Rating: 9
gid

Everytime I listen to this album I find another reason to fall in love with it again. It reminds me of everything that's great about Novembre: the new-wave inspirations from Materia, the melodic passages from Novembrine Walz, the harshness from Classica and the progressive variations in Arte Novecento. In fact, I like it so much that part of me wants to keep myself from listening to it too much, in case I grow used to it and get bored.
08.03.2008 - 04:45
Piro

I agree, many people do not even recognize the bands existence, yet the music is so good that it is a mortal sin to not listen to it lol.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
08.03.2008 - 08:29
FOOCK Nam

Does anyone think there's psychedelic element in this album. I asked in Novembre thread, but none of answer...
15.04.2008 - 23:25
Rating: 8
Lone Reaper

Much better than "Materia" but 9.4 is too much for this %)
Maximal rating is 8.5...
26.09.2008 - 14:12
REGRET.

Eternal Music , Nice

Hits total: 12789 | This month: 10