04. Our Heroin Recess
05. Throw Your Bolts
06. Burn Me Wicked
07. Fear The Gates
08. Slave
09. Nothing To Fear... Do It
10. The Widow Black
11. Illdispunk'd

Illdisposed have long been a pillar of the Danish death metal scene, together with Konkhra and Panzerchrist (the latter of which share some members with Illdisposed). Their new release, Burn Me Wicked solidifies their position as a respectable death metal band and although it is obviously not the new Blessed Are The Sick or Left Hand Path, there is enough quality death metal here to make fans of the genre more than happy.

In terms of style, Illdisposed is a mid-tempo, groove-death kind of band, with steady percussion and rolling guitars, reminiscent to Bolt Thrower (and hey, they even have a song called "Throw Your Bolts" here). This kind of death metal can get really boring if not done properly. Luckily, there are enough memorable melodies and killer grooves here to keep us interested all they way through, and when the band feels that perhaps their riffs are becoming too monotonous, they usually stick some keyboards, a sample or even clean vocals (courtesy of Mercenary's Mikkel Sandager) into the mix to spice things up. There is also a clearly noticeable sense of lightness and humor here, which is quite refreshing. Illdisposed are well aware of the features of death metal that people might find funny and they often take jabs at them, to great effect. The vocals, for example, are frequently downright ridiculous-sounding. It's great to see a band in this genre willing not to take themselves too seriously.

Burn Me Wicked is probably not going to make it into anybody's "Best Of" lists this year but it is nevertheless a very solid and genuinely enjoyable death metal release.

Written on 02.06.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 40 users
02.06.2006 - 18:37
Hrimner
Account deleted
"Illdisposed have long been a pillar of the Dutch death metal scene"

Dude, they are danish!
03.06.2006 - 12:56
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
LOL, what an embarrasing typo
04.06.2006 - 13:33
Raiden
Down Under Staff
I have heard of this band through Panzerchrist, whom I like quite a lot. Quite a nice review too. I'm wondering though, how come it didn't get a rating? It says N/A under 'rating'.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
04.06.2006 - 13:54
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I dont rate albums anymore because then all that people care about is the rating and not the review.
05.06.2006 - 03:08
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Ahh ok then, that's fair enough
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
23.06.2006 - 13:10
Mindheist
No Longer Human
I picked up this album three days ago and unfortunately i ruined this copy due to constant listens,it's simply astounding.One of the best Death Metal albums that I have had the privilege to hear in my metal-life.
Sure,It will enter the danish national album chart at position 1.

Hits total: 7304 | This month: 16