Metal Storm logo
Manowar

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 03.06.2006 - 00:23
As I sit here and listen to most likely the greatest band of all time I notice that there isn't a topic for them, so I decided to make one. Manowar are a band that you must love, and if you don't, you're gay. Haha, seriously though. They make some wicked music, though pompous, they deserve to be, I mean, they are the KINGS OF METAL. I do enjoy their upbeat attitude, killer riffing, and Eric Adams god like vocals. Very manly. I would call them Heavy Metal (or moreover, Traditional Metal) than anything, but they do have some Speed and Power Metal tendencies every now and then. Any fans?

And remember kids, while other bands play - Manowar kill.
04.09.2009 - 10:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Manowar is about to release another DVD called "Hell on Earth"?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.09.2009 - 12:29
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by MadGatsu on 24.07.2009 at 12:23

Written by Ellrohir on 24.07.2009 at 10:49

Again listened to new version of The Crown And The Ring...damn, this is such a majestic song...

Crown and the Ring is to us metalheads as "Ave Maria" is for catholic people

I don't like religion and religious anthems, so no thanks.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
05.09.2009 - 12:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
To all the haters: is it THAT hard to comprehend what Manowar is for? it gets you pumped, pure and simple, waiting to bash heads in and whatnot. if you don't like doing that, then just don't listen to them(and if you people are as petty as to get annoyed when a person such as Joey coined a phrase like Wimps and Posers Leave the Hall well, good luck to you) i mean, i can totally understand that for example The Angelic Process is an atmospheric band, you should just listen to it with your eyes closed in a relaxed position, Cannibal Corpse is for moshing and headbanging, Iron Maiden is for singing along and doing air guitar, The 69 Eyes is for fucking, Manowar and to a lesser degree Amon Amarth are for getting you pumped and (for me at least) turning a shit mood into an impossibly epic and good mood.

do people hate on The Angelic Process for being atmospheric? or on Maiden for being so catchy? people bash on Manowar because they get people pumped by being so over the top and cheesy though. it's like Machiavelli said: the purpose excuses the means not saying you're not entitled to your opinion but let's face it all us Manowar fans are simply tired of "OMG MEN IN LEATHER AND FUR SINGING ABOUT METAL KILL THE POSERS!!!!" but have only heard the songs Warriors of the World United and maybe Hail and Kill or Kings of Metal, not to mention the song containing the phrase "Wimps and Posers Leave the Hall".
05.09.2009 - 12:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Valentin B on 05.09.2009 at 12:08

To all the haters: is it THAT hard to comprehend what Manowar is for? it gets you pumped, pure and simple, waiting to bash heads in and whatnot.

Its music used for getting your stoke on.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.09.2009 - 14:47
MadGatsu

Written by Darkside Momo on 04.09.2009 at 12:29

Again listened to new version of The Crown And The Ring...damn, this is such a majestic song...

Im not religious, lol. You're loss dude, your missing an amazing song.
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
05.09.2009 - 19:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by MadGatsu on 05.09.2009 at 14:47

Manowar sucks
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.09.2009 - 20:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BloodTears on 05.09.2009 at 19:53

Manowar sucks

and Metallica died with Cliff
05.09.2009 - 21:02
MadGatsu

Written by BloodTears on 05.09.2009 at 19:53

Manowar sucks

Pstt!!!!! Go away!!! U dont belong here! *shoos you away*
----
05.09.2009 - 21:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by MadGatsu on 05.09.2009 at 21:02

coming from a Manowar fan i'm guessing that's just a nicer way of saying "Wimps and Posers leave the hall!!" huh?
05.09.2009 - 21:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 05.09.2009 at 20:22

Yes they did
And Manowar died after Hail To England and Sign Of The Hammer after that Manowar turned into a poserish pop band who somehow take their own joke way too seriously
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.09.2009 - 21:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.09.2009 at 21:22

Written by Valentin B on 05.09.2009 at 20:22

Yes they did
And Manowar died after Hail To England and Sign Of The Hammer after that Manowar turned into a poserish pop band who somehow take their own joke way too seriously

lol yeah it's true they pretty much lost their former sound with Cliff's death, but imo Hetfield never wanted to have two albums sound alike anyway, at least when he played metal and the last album.

as for Manowar... well you can pretty much guess what i'm about to say lol
05.09.2009 - 21:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 05.09.2009 at 21:33

but imo Hetfield never wanted to have two albums sound alike anyway, at least when he played metal and the last album.

Then please explain to me why Master Of Puppets is a blueprint of Ride The Lightning? Or is that one the exception that confirms the rule?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.09.2009 - 21:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.09.2009 at 21:38

but imo Hetfield never wanted to have two albums sound alike anyway, at least when he played metal and the last album.

Then please explain to me why Master Of Puppets is a blueprint of Ride The Lightning? Or is that one the exception that confirms the rule?

because imo Master is more complex than Ride, maybe i haven't listened so much to RtL but 'the obligatory ballad' on RtL, Fade To Black, is far less progressive than Sanitarium(on drums, structure, guitar riffs etc)

also, compare Master of Puppets(the song) which is almost prog-thrash with Creeping Death which is 100% straight-forward thrash..

or did you think "hmmm.. acoustic intro's to both albums... something is fishy"
05.09.2009 - 21:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 05.09.2009 at 21:43

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.09.2009 at 21:38

because imo Master is more complex than Ride, maybe i haven't listened so much to RtL but 'the obligatory ballad' on RtL, Fade To Black, is far less progressive than Sanitarium(on drums, structure, guitar riffs etc)

also, compare Master of Puppets(the song) which is almost prog-thrash with Creeping Death which is 100% straight-forward thrash..

or did you think "hmmm.. acoustic intro's to both albums... something is fishy"

The entire set-up of MoP is more or less the same as RtL

The song MoP can't be compared to Creeping Death it has to be compared to the song Ride The Lightning.

RtL starts with Fight Fire With Fire MoP with Battery (two out and out thrashers)
Then both albums have the title song which both are quite epic and have the same build-up
Then both have their heaviest songs, For Whom The Bell Tolls and The Thing That Should Not Be
Then both have their ballad closing off side a (remember both albums are originally on single vinyl) Fade To Black and Sanitarium

Side b is a little messy in that respect where only the midtempo songs share the same position on the side, Escape and Leper Messiah
But both side b's consist of a downright thrasher Trapped UNder Ice and Damage, Inc.
Two midtempo thrashers Creeping Death (yes that one is midtempo) and Escape vs. Disposable Heroes and Leper Messiah.
and of course the obligatory instrumental, the SUPERIOR The Call Of Kutlu vs Orion.

And since when is the song MoP prog thrash. The only thing poggish the band has done is the first FAIL album of theirs And Justice For All.
IN no way is MoP more comples than RtL it is on the same level there, the only thing better on MoP is the production
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.09.2009 - 23:19
routa
Account deleted
Metallica died when they kicked out Mustaine.

/end off-topic
06.09.2009 - 00:07
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Nice to read that in the topic about Manowar...
----

06.09.2009 - 11:48
MadGatsu

Written by Valentin B on 05.09.2009 at 21:05

Written by MadGatsu on 05.09.2009 at 21:02

coming from a Manowar fan i'm guessing that's just a nicer way of saying "Wimps and Posers leave the hall!!" huh?

Not really, shes my friend :p
----
06.09.2009 - 20:11
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Posers leave this topic to us, true metal warriors .)
----

31.01.2010 - 12:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I'm listening right now to their new EP, and i must say this is off to a very interesting start.

EDIT this is a great EP, imo, it's got some fairly innovative stuff for a Manowar release, though generally it's simply a more epic version of Louder Than Hell or something.
07.03.2010 - 21:57
Elodie Artour
Slania
Guys, I'm sure that many of you have already seen that one but I can't help laughing at Erik's speech at the beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH06EPn2D8w

Simply hilarious! However, I'm probably going to see them live at Sonisphere,
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
10.03.2010 - 02:21
TimelessSymphony

Lmfao Manowar is not even near melodic haha XD (sorry if im mean but thats my opinion:P) this band freaking SUCKS!!!!
10.03.2010 - 02:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by TimelessSymphony on 10.03.2010 at 02:21

Lmfao Manowar is not even near melodic haha XD (sorry if im mean but thats my opinion:P) this band freaking SUCKS!!!!

I'm curious as to what your definition of melodic is then...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.03.2010 - 17:03
Velingor

You have no idea what you're talking about.
10.03.2010 - 17:48
JÄY
Metal slave

all the melodies in their music beg to differ
10.03.2010 - 19:25
fade
Son of Sweden
I have been listening to Manowar since 1992 and back then I was one of their biggest fans. I even joined their monthly newsletter called Oracle wich has not been around since 1995. Now though my music tasted have matured a lot and I find Manowar rather average, or dare I say... boring at times. I have seen them live several times and while they are entertaining I cannot stand Joey's long winded political crap. Enough with the Metallica selling out speech and the posers. Bleh. He must get tired of it hearing himself.. oh wait.. he doesn't.

Anyway... they are not the best band in the world. Unless Germany is the world.

faded
----
The troubles of avoiding horseshit.
My Music database: http://www.racksandtags.com/northernsky/
11.03.2010 - 01:57
TimelessSymphony

Well they were some song/album that were melodic like God Of Wars was really melodic im not "fan" of manowar but i like them a little bit (sorry for all the trouble i caused:S) i like Dawn Of Battle which is pretty good=)!! but still im more into melodic metal like rhapsody/nightwish and stuff..

I said i didnt like Manowar because apparently my favorite band Rhapsody went on Justice with the bass player of Manowar/DeMaio which i STILL HATE HIM!!

But i like them ..

Sorry for the trouble again
11.03.2010 - 07:14
Velingor

Written by TimelessSymphony on 11.03.2010 at 01:57

Well they were some song/album that were melodic like God Of Wars was really melodic im not "fan" of manowar but i like them a little bit (sorry for all the trouble i caused:S) i like Dawn Of Battle which is pretty good=)!! but still im more into melodic metal like rhapsody/nightwish and stuff..

I said i didnt like Manowar because apparently my favorite band Rhapsody went on Justice with the bass player of Manowar/DeMaio which i STILL HATE HIM!!

But i like them ..

Sorry for the trouble again

11.03.2010 - 12:00
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Maybe you are mixing up terms "melodic" and "symphonic"...
----

17.06.2010 - 19:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Holy shit it's inconceivable how good the new version of The Crown and the Ring is compared to the original(which is still pretty good too). Eric's voice is far rougher, with a slight hint of tragic, and more believable on the new version, and also the "OF STEEEEELLL" scream is the most over the top thing i've ever heard.
22.06.2010 - 10:54
vezzy
Stallmanite
I want to shoot anyone who thinks Manowar are an amazing band. I once saw some guy wishing another guy's band to "rock along with the legions of Manowar and Metallica *headbang*".
But if it's keeping you away from Blind Guardian, then by all means, listen.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.