Metal Storm logo
Favorite Death Metal Drummer

Original post

Posted by Dangerboner, 03.06.2006 - 06:28
I chose Kevin Talley. His work in Dying Fetus is quite amazing. He can go from insane blast beats and instantly change and play a technical beat. His best stuff is in Grotesque Impalement.

Poll

Who is your favorite?

Inferno (Behemoth)
Other
Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel)
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy)
Tony Laureano (ex-Nile)
Derek Roddy (ex-Hate Eternal)
Kevin Talley (ex-Dying Fetus)
Tim Yeung (Vital Remains/Decrepit Birth)
David Haley (Psycroptic)

Total votes: 147
31.07.2006 - 01:50
Pyro
Account deleted
Written by Mega-Slayer on 30.07.2006 at 20:15

Written by Guest on 30.07.2006 at 07:26

Written by Mega-Slayer on 30.07.2006 at 03:54

I have really been enjoying Bill Andrews work latley,even though he's not one of the greatest drummers.

That's another great drummer forgotten in this poll. I really enjoy Massacre's From Beyond and Death'd Leprosy. He may not be "the greatest" but surely one of the greatest IMO.

Massacre's "From Beyond" is and extremely overlooked classic,and it gets no recognition,but its great death metal.Have you noticed that the track "Corpse Grinder" was also an early death demo song remember?

Yes. I can't remember the name of the tape, however.
31.07.2006 - 23:39
Thrash666

Pete Sandoval is the best!!!!!!!!!
His drumming kicks fucking ass especially from the Domination album.
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
01.08.2006 - 01:01
Mega-Slayer

I said earlier on the poll that Mike Sus is an awesome drummer and it still stands.The beginning of the song "Death Metal" is so cool,I replay it over and over.So if you haven't heard his drumming listen to "Seven Churches".
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
01.08.2006 - 01:42
KMR

Inferno in certainly the best in Poland, dont know if best on world. Ive seen him live nort so long ago and I have no further questions But Pete Sandoval is also freakin good, still owns many younger players (but im affraid time has come to pay the price for to much cocaine cookies )
----
Nothing is sacred.
02.08.2006 - 05:03
Mega-Slayer

Another drummer which has alot of neat work is Gene Holgan,not only his work with Death,but with Dark Angel as well.He has alot of technical skills and a different style like no other.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
04.08.2006 - 01:24
DrumMachine84

I have to say Flo just because I saw his video and I never saw a drummer play that fast before!
----
I am the voyager, I have tasted pleasures of the flesh and drunk the pleasures of the mind;
-Nevermore; I, Voyager;

04.08.2006 - 03:22
Stigmatized
Written by DrumMachine84 on 04.08.2006 at 01:24

I have to say Flo just because I saw his video and I never saw a drummer play that fast before!

Yes, but does speed always mean talent?
04.08.2006 - 03:57
Endoftherainbow

Speed doesn't always mean talent but if you check out Flo's video you will see he also plays some very technical things and isn't just all about speed he does some pretty creative things which keeps his drumming pretty interesting.
05.08.2006 - 18:34
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Out of the drummers you have add the best IMO are Sandoval, Inferno and Laureano. But the best death metal drummer IMO is Reinert (Cynic, Death- Human). He can't only play fast but also more complex and technical than all those other guys. Don't get me wrong, they are all great but Reinert is just on an other level.
08.08.2006 - 07:01
tattootildeath
Account deleted
sean reinert-cynic, gene hoglan, doc of vader / dies irae was the fucking best! mike smith of suffocation is really sick as well!!!!!!!!
09.08.2006 - 02:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Sean Reinert- I considered him, but if I would have added him I would have had to take the whole technical death metal scene into consideration.

Gene Holgan- Not a death metal drummer. We already discussed this.

Doc- He's damn good, but too straightforward. He's also a trigger whore, plus the drumming in Revelations was the most annoying this I've ever heard. This was already discussed.

Mike Smith: This guy and Vitek from Decapitated are drummers I should have put on the poll. However, if you would have taken the time to read the previous pages you would have found out that this was also already discussed.
16.08.2006 - 15:04
Anathemani@c

I agree with Fimbulvetr. He really is one of the greatest drummers in Death metal. He is fast and very technical.But I like very much Pete Sndoval.
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
18.08.2006 - 05:20
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
These guys are all amazing, you gotta love Nile's drumming and Tim Yeung is awesome..
Personally I don't like comparing drummers. They all have their own style and way of doing things, and things they are particularly good at.
18.08.2006 - 08:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Cynic isn't even a death metal band anyways....they're some abstract sub-genre of death metal.
18.08.2006 - 09:21
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Did I already voted by Reno Kiilerrich??? he's a monster behind the jars...
18.08.2006 - 11:38
Warman
Erotic Stains
Pete Sandoval is the best (Death metal drummer)! "Hymnos Rituales De Guerra" is awesome!
----
19.08.2006 - 01:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@Streetcleaner- Oh yeah, Reno Kiilerich is fucken great. He's played in almost as many bands as Tony Laureano, if I'm not mistaken.
19.08.2006 - 02:36
tattootildeath
Account deleted
sean reinert of cynic, gene hoglan, tim yeung, doc (r.i.p.), kris kontos, dave culross, derek roddy, dave suzuki, steve jacobs, richard christy, and mike smith to name a few. i know some of these dudes play thrash metal, but some have played in death metal bands as well, and they all can play killer death metal!
20.08.2006 - 13:27
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Inferno for me largely cause I have liked Behemoth a lot more than the others in this list. Pete Sandoval is not too bad either but my vote stays with Inferno for the older stuff that he has done.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
24.08.2006 - 06:45
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i've heard many excellent drumers in death, i've been watching many videos from several groups and its quite difficult to chose one...i'd say some of the bands with excellent drums are: decapitated, quo vadis, spawn of possesion, martyr, pitbulls in the nursery, necrophagist, nile!!!
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
26.08.2006 - 15:04
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 18.08.2006 at 08:17

Cynic isn't even a death metal band anyways....they're some abstract sub-genre of death metal.

You're joking, right?

What would you call the music on Cynic's demos if not tech death metal. Although yes, Focus drifts more to the prog side of metal.

I like Steve Flynn's(Atheist) drumming a lot.
27.08.2006 - 01:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Focus isn't straight up death metal. Like you just said, prog-ish.

BTW, I like your sig.
30.08.2006 - 12:17
Throne of Rats

Look at Inferno go!!
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
01.09.2006 - 09:55
DIE_by_my_HAND

I voted other for Gene Hoglan (ex-Death) because he is the unparalled atomic clock and is unsurpassed... He can do some amazing double bass patterns which some people could not even do with three feet!! He is now in Strapping Young Lad and is still kickin ass...
----
And music: well it's just entertainment folks!!
-Devin Townsend
02.09.2006 - 23:54
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 27.08.2006 at 01:58

BTW, I like your sig.

Dude, You've got listen to their pre Focus stuff. As someone else mentioned: "It's sick", musically.
Which part of it?

What do you guys appreciate in/expect from a death metal drummer. Is it the speed, the technicality, how tastefully the drummer plays,m the ability blend different techniques to death metal drumming etc. ?
03.09.2006 - 01:09
danzig111
Account deleted
Nile's drummer left them?

anyway i like Pete the best! he is God!
03.09.2006 - 01:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 02.09.2006 at 23:54

Written by Dangerboner on 27.08.2006 at 01:58

BTW, I like your sig.

Dude, You've got listen to their pre Focus stuff. As someone else mentioned: "It's sick", musically.
Which part of it?

What do you guys appreciate in/expect from a death metal drummer. Is it the speed, the technicality, how tastefully the drummer plays,m the ability blend different techniques to death metal drumming etc. ?

Their demos might be bonerific, but a band's demos do not define their sound.
lol purple corpsepaint

To answer your question, I prefer variation. I can't stand it when a drummer just does the bass/snare over and over again, even if it's fast. I really like complicated footwork such as pulsating blast beats and switching between double and single bass.
24.10.2006 - 02:43
Ripping Corpse
Account deleted
Pete Sandoval is a bad ass.
30.10.2006 - 19:53
s3v3n
Account deleted
How about Necrophagist drummer? :s :? I really like his work. They are fast and technical...
31.10.2006 - 00:13
SeaSun
Account deleted
I vote Gene Hoglan. He rules on Symbolic!