Metal Storm logo
Chuck Schuldiner VS Dave Mustaine

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 15.10.2007 - 21:51
In a conversation with a friend who used to be obsessed with Megadeth, he was saying how Chuck could kick Dave's ass in a guitar battle. I have heard both their work, I honestly think that both are capable of playing eachothers work within their skill levels.

Poll

Who is more skillful at the guitar back before Chuck died?

Chuck Schuldiner
Dave Mustaine

Total votes: 299
08.05.2011 - 05:27
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 08.05.2011 at 04:57

Written by Doom Trooper on 08.05.2011 at 04:26

I am a huge Death and Chuck Schuldiner fan but I think with out a shadow of a doubt Dave Mustaine is definitely more skilled. In both rhythm and lead/soloing. Dave writes a much more complex manner. I think its no contest really. Chuck evolved into the great musician he is known for being through out his career while Mustaine was already at that skill level when he was writing Kill Em All.
*Insane Chuck guitar riff*

What song was that?
08.05.2011 - 05:29
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 08.05.2011 at 05:27

I am a huge Death and Chuck Schuldiner fan but I think with out a shadow of a doubt Dave Mustaine is definitely more skilled. In both rhythm and lead/soloing. Dave writes a much more complex manner. I think its no contest really. Chuck evolved into the great musician he is known for being through out his career while Mustaine was already at that skill level when he was writing Kill Em All.
*Insane Chuck guitar riff*

What song was that?

That is the end of the first run on Symbolic.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.05.2011 at 05:21

I think it's hard to compare guitarists from different genres...

Sometimes, but the fact of the matter is Dave doesn't not go into the techniques I Was talking about.

But to some extent this is true. But subgenres? Not as much. I mean sure they've different focuses, but it doesn't actually change the skill difference.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
09.04.2012 - 16:42
Infernal Eternal

Mustaine? His name shouldn't be written at the same thread with "Chuck Schuldiner". Chuck wins (OBVIOUSLY).
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
10.04.2012 - 02:54
edgethrasherx

Chuck was a much more skilled guitarist then Dave. Both rhythm and lead wise, someone who has been playing guitar for around 2 months can play Megadeth songs no problem, and after a 5 months be able to play the solo's. (I know this from playing guitar) While Death on the other hand is much more complicated rhythm and lead wise, Chuck's alternate picking is incredible. and it is not inconsistent tremolo picking it has rhythms to it, that he keeps at a steady pace. For example in the fast part of symbolic it sound like tremolo at first, but if you slow it down you can clearly hear a constant 1/16 notes, and then a brief 1/8 note before hitting the notes, which are alternate picked 1/8ths. This is incredibly hard to replicate, and you have to have a very advanced alternate picking technique to execute what Chuck does in almost every Death song. Case closed, Chuck wins.
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
10.04.2012 - 06:20
Branzig

It really comes down to this:

Dave = Rhythum Guitarist

Chuck = Lead Guitarist

Marty Friedman vs Chuck Schuldiner makes more sense to me than putting him up against Dave Mustaine.

Oh, and for the record, even if it was against Friedman, I would still go for Chuck on a purely "skill" level.
----
In Grind We Crust
01.05.2012 - 19:45
SatyriconChick

Well, I see I can't vote for this anymore, but Chuck definitely gets my vote in all categories.
01.05.2012 - 22:00
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Wrong comparison again
02.05.2012 - 18:56
Lit 2.0
Account deleted
Written by Infernal Eternal on 09.04.2012 at 16:42

Mustaine? His name shouldn't be written at the same thread with "Chuck Schuldiner". Chuck wins (OBVIOUSLY).

U mad, bradda man?

EDIT: I'm going with Mustaine. But like Branzig and Troy said: They play different guitars for different genres. Not much to compare to except for long hair. Dave wins that obviously.
06.10.2012 - 01:03
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally prefer Chuck Schuldiner over Dave Mustaine. The redundant reason being that I like his vocals more than Dave, and I thought Chuck wrote more poignant songs with his band Death.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
26.10.2012 - 12:33
Metalandy92

Care to show me how? Dave didn't do anything on that album that Chuck couldn't do right off the bat, that's silly as shit. This is some fanboy shit right here. Dave barely double picks any of his solos, just mid pace hammer on and pull offs, not at all in the same league, let alone tapping, sweeping at the same tempos as Chuck.

You actually think that .....

E------------------------------9--13---9-| in 8th notes @ 160bpms is some how greater than
B-----------------------9--12-------------|
G-------------------10--------------------|
D-----------9--11------------------------|
A---8--11----------------
E-9---------------------

E---------------2221222112--------------------------------------| in 16ths at 180bpm REally? No serious? And this is not cherry picking this is a constant.
B-2016201613--------------2220192019------------------------| (Hoping you even understand and play what I've posted).
G-------------------------------------------211918---------1819-| Forgive me man I really did have to. lol
D-----------------------------------------------------212021------|
A
E

In holy wars..the punisment due dave uses mostly 16th at around 180-190 BPM and some 32nds too.
Chucks tuning would not be EADGBE but DGCFAD(a whole step down)
Most of Daves solos are 16ths at high tempos in mechanix he plays 16th at 260 bpm
26.10.2012 - 12:36
Metalandy92

Written by edgethrasherx on 10.04.2012 at 02:54

Chuck was a much more skilled guitarist then Dave. Both rhythm and lead wise, someone who has been playing guitar for around 2 months can play Megadeth songs no problem, and after a 5 months be able to play the solo's. (I know this from playing guitar) While Death on the other hand is much more complicated rhythm and lead wise, Chuck's alternate picking is incredible. and it is not inconsistent tremolo picking it has rhythms to it, that he keeps at a steady pace. For example in the fast part of symbolic it sound like tremolo at first, but if you slow it down you can clearly hear a constant 1/16 notes, and then a brief 1/8 note before hitting the notes, which are alternate picked 1/8ths. This is incredibly hard to replicate, and you have to have a very advanced alternate picking technique to execute what Chuck does in almost every Death song. Case closed, Chuck wins.

Not really.
Daves solos and riff is harder than that,I would like to see a beginner play the riffs to Holy wars and Good mourning black friday at full speed,clean and in time.If you was able to play their solos after 5 months you either played guitar 24 hours a day or you played really sloppy and out of time.
08.11.2012 - 01:59
edgethrasherx

Written by Metalandy92 on 26.10.2012 at 12:36

Not really.
Daves solos and riff is harder than that,I would like to see a beginner play the riffs to Holy wars and Good mourning black friday at full speed,clean and in time.If you was able to play their solos after 5 months you either played guitar 24 hours a day or you played really sloppy and out of time.

I did practice around 5-6 hours a day.
----
08.11.2012 - 02:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

someone who has been playing guitar for around 2 months can play Megadeth songs no problem.

I call Bullshit.

I've been playing for 8 months, and I'm no where near at that level.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.11.2012 - 13:13
edgethrasherx

Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.11.2012 at 02:58

someone who has been playing guitar for around 2 months can play Megadeth songs no problem.

I call Bullshit.

I practiced 5-6 hours a day, everyday of the week. However at the time of writing, I was playing some of their more simple songs. Hook In Mouth, Peace Sells, In My Darkest Hour. Nothing off of Rust in Peace though.
----
12.11.2012 - 07:57
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.11.2012 at 02:58

I call Bullshit.

I have a friend who has been playing for probably 12 years maybe, he can play Death's music a lot better than Megadeth's. He said Its easier.
But what do i know. I've only only been playing for two years, and i cant play either of em. But i dont even try to learn other people's music. I just write my own.
12.11.2012 - 08:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 12.11.2012 at 07:57

I have a friend who has been playing for probably 12 years maybe, he can play Death's music a lot better than Megadeth's. He said Its easier.
But what do i know. I've only only been playing for two years, and i cant play either of em. But i dont even try to learn other people's music. I just write my own.

it depends on the person, for some Megadeth is easier for others Death is easier. It has to do with the build of one's hands and fingers and how the brain of t5he player works.

A firend of mine finds Death and Megadeth and technical stuff such as watchtower and Spastic Ink piss easy to play yet has the hardest of times playing Kiss and slow sutff such as doom properly.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2012 - 14:51
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

But i dont even try to learn other people's music. I just write my own.

This is my general idea, I'm not a big fan of learning other peoples music, it's why I dropped band class. I just don't see the point in learnign someone else's work, when I can be creating my own original piece.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.11.2012 - 21:36
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.11.2012 at 14:51

This is my general idea, I'm not a big fan of learning other peoples music, it's why I dropped band class. I just don't see the point in learnign someone else's work, when I can be creating my own original piece.

my thoughts also...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
13.11.2012 - 02:11
psykometal
A staff guy...

Depends on what you want to play too though and how you prefer to learn. You are not trying to learn fast and technical guitar. For some the point of learning other people's music is to give you something to work toward and help learn technique by trying to master something that has already been written versus trying to write something you have no idea how to write because you have no practice at playing those techniques in a song. At least that's what I've been told by musician friends of mine.

These thread "debates" are always going to be about popularity among the fans. Aside from not being able to compare musicians in different genres it can be difficult to compare skill even within the same genre. For example, could anybody ever even begin to compare Ron Jarzombek to Yngwie Malmsteen?

Sidetrack: Oh! How about a guitar battle (not a written comparison but a live guitar battle) between Ron Jarzombek and Yngwie Malmsteen? Not because I'm a fanboy of Malmasteen (but I am a fanboy or Jarzombek) but he is probably the most famous [overrated?] shredder and Ron Jarzombek is probably the most unknown [underrated?] shredder.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

13.11.2012 - 03:11
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted

Exactly
15.11.2012 - 15:53
Metalandy92

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.11.2012 at 08:16

it depends on the person, for some Megadeth is easier for others Death is easier. It has to do with the build of one's hands and fingers and how the brain of t5he player works.

A firend of mine finds Death and Megadeth and technical stuff such as watchtower and Spastic Ink piss easy to play yet has the hardest of times playing Kiss and slow sutff such as doom properly.

It depends on what you are practicing.
01.12.2012 - 16:16
megadeath13
Account deleted
I love both. But come on, Chuck is simply the true godfather of Death metal. RIP Chuck