Metal Storm logo
Chuck Schuldiner VS Dave Mustaine

Poll

Who is more skillful at the guitar back before Chuck died?

Chuck Schuldiner
Dave Mustaine

Total votes: 299
15.10.2007 - 21:51
Lord TJ
In a conversation with a friend who used to be obsessed with Megadeth, he was saying how Chuck could kick Dave's ass in a guitar battle. I have heard both their work, I honestly think that both are capable of playing eachothers work within their skill levels.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
15.10.2007 - 21:58
Warman
Erotic Stains
I like Chuck´s music more (fan of both bands) and therefore I'd like to vote for him. But I've always admired Mustaine's thrashy guitar skills and I think he's the better one of them.
----
15.10.2007 - 22:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
ooooh interesting. I voted for Dave Mustaine because I think he is one of the best riff writers in metal. His songwriting is more complex that Chuck's, but that's not saying Chuck's songwriting wasn't complex. I mean, in classic Megadeth, the music is filled with hooks and time changes, and songs like Wake Up Dead, Hangar 18, Mechanix, Peace Sells, and Holy Wars... beats anything Chuck ever wrote.

You see, Dave has wider musical influences than Chuck, from what I understand. He bases his music not only on classic metal, but also on blues and other genres not really associated with rock.
15.10.2007 - 23:30
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Ahhh... Really tough one... Those are 2 of my fav bands, and I was always admired both Death's and Megadeth's style in songwriting, Its really tough to choose, Id like to choose draw, but Ive picked Chuck.... Id really want to explain it, but I cant. this time I made decission fith heart, not with brain
----
15.10.2007 - 23:59
Stigmatized
I have to go with Dave. The stuff he plays blows me away. Chuck was amazing, but it doesn't show as much in his music like Dave.
16.10.2007 - 00:16
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
both players are really good, but i voted chuck, mainly for his great sognwriting and style
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
16.10.2007 - 09:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Dave, mostly because of the great time changes and such that can be found in early albums.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.10.2007 - 16:24
Kharn
Account deleted
I Had to go with chuck. megadeth were my favouite band at one point but chucks playing has actually influenced mine. individual thought patterns is one of my favourite albums, some fucking fantastic writing there.

But...rust in piece is a fucking thrash masterpiece...the only thing that spoils it is dawn patrol...theres no need for it.
16.10.2007 - 18:18
AsgeirArnald
I had to vote for Chuck since he is my favorite songwriter and Death is one of my favorite bands.
16.10.2007 - 19:48
Lord TJ
Written by Warman on 15.10.2007 at 21:58

I like Chuck´s music more (fan of both bands) and therefore I'd like to vote for him. But I've always admired Mustaine's thrashy guitar skills and I think he's the better one of them.

This isnt about what band you prefer its about which guitarist do you think can rip more, etc.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

16.10.2007 - 23:08
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Lord TJ on 16.10.2007 at 19:48

Written by Warman on 15.10.2007 at 21:58

This isnt about what band you prefer its about which guitarist do you think can rip more, etc.

Ehh, yeah... that's what I explained. I said that I like Death more and thefore feel to vote for Chuck. But I vote for Mustaine since he is the better guitarist.
----
16.10.2007 - 23:10
Lord TJ
Oh woops my bad lol
----

17.10.2007 - 07:07
selken
Irreligious
Mustaine doesn't have the same sense of music that chuck had, Chuck is better, he also had a wider musical vision. I like both bands but talking about skills, you all would vote for chuck if you listen the last two death's albums.
----
17.10.2007 - 20:55
Lord TJ
Written by selken on 17.10.2007 at 07:07

I like both bands but talking about skills, you all would vote for chuck if you listen the last two death's albums.

Take a look at Mustaine though, Hangar 18, Holy Wars, etc. He rips a lot, Chuck does too but he seems to put more emotion in his solo's.
----

17.10.2007 - 21:49
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
This topic is worthless they are 2 different styles btw i prefer dave
----
Stay Metal !!!
17.10.2007 - 21:58
selken
Irreligious
Written by Lord TJ on 17.10.2007 at 20:55

Written by selken on 17.10.2007 at 07:07

I like both bands but talking about skills, you all would vote for chuck if you listen the last two death's albums.

Take a look at Mustaine though, Hangar 18, Holy Wars, etc. He rips a lot, Chuck does too but he seems to put more emotion in his solo's.

Yes dude, I've actually listened to both full catalogs and I just cannot see any superior display of skill from dave -of course he is a kicking-ass player, but IMO chuck kicks more asses.
----
17.10.2007 - 22:44
Lord TJ
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 17.10.2007 at 21:49

This topic is worthless they are 2 different styles btw i prefer dave

This isn't about styles.
----

18.10.2007 - 03:57
Thrash666
WOW!!!!! this is really tough. Both are amazing musicians. I can't decide they both fuckin rule
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
18.10.2007 - 23:13
Stephen Hunley
Account deleted
Chuck chuck chuck chuck chuck and... Chuck...
22.10.2007 - 20:12
Lord TJ
Written by Guest on 18.10.2007 at 23:13

Chuck chuck chuck chuck chuck and... Chuck...

Indeed.
And why do you choose Chuck?
----

25.10.2007 - 08:42
graywolf87
Account deleted
This is one stupid topic...Chuck vs Dave? wtf???...well back then I used to think of it like this too between guitar players, heh.

Here we have two different genres and two totally different types of guitar playing...I have heard all of Chuck's work in "detail" since I pay exclusive attention to the composition and musicianship of songs, and specially Chuck's playing that without being the greatest guitarist of all time is one of only few that has touched my music nerve or soul deep within me, in term of songwriting, lyrics and playing.
Here was a guy who was passionate, expressive and devoted to his music...a gifted musician whose guitar playing was full of soul and emotion and his music view was beyond limits...One of the greatest influences in metal. (period)

...About Mustain, hmm? I have nothing to talk about Mustain...Mustain lacks almost all the things I said above but, yes, he is a determined charismatic guy who managed to play back to back with the greatest Megadeth guitar player of all type Marty Friedman..."riffs are good but that's just part of what becomes a great song and what makes a great player"
Chuck Schuldiner can explain that better
26.10.2007 - 02:49
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
This is certainly a hard one...I'm with graywolf87 that they shouldn't be put together...they're entirely different animals altogether...Mustaine is a more effective frontman though...Chuck was a tad cagey in his live performances when I was him live...Mustaine had more of an attitude...I would go for Mustaine myself...he's a great stageman...
26.10.2007 - 05:33
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 26.10.2007 at 02:49

This is certainly a hard one...I'm with graywolf87 that they shouldn't be put together...they're entirely different animals altogether...Mustaine is a more effective frontman though...Chuck was a tad cagey in his live performances when I was him live...Mustaine had more of an attitude...I would go for Mustaine myself...he's a great stageman...

I think you took the words out of my mouth. This is like saying who is a better drummer Neal Pert or Buddy Rich? Two different styles. But that aside.

While Chuck had more "technical" skill, he failed to write very memorable riffs. I am not saying his songs are not memorable, but the notes don't stick with me the way a Megadeth tune does. I find myself humming "She Wolf" or "Kick the Chair" more often than...come to think of it, I don't hum and Death songs.

P.S. I am glad no one is writing "CHUCK RIP!!!" or "Dave sux cause hes a christian" for their reasoning.
----
(space for rent)
26.10.2007 - 11:23
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I agree with you guys that both of them have really different styles and cant be compared to each other, but what I think is that Chuck is more talented because he has written lots of good prog-extreme riffs and fast solos that IMO are not to be ignored songs like misanthrope, story to tell, to forgive is to suffer...and many others are really remarkable, while on the other side if I'm talking about the more melodic stuff I'd go for mustaine coz he has this nice melodic thing going on with his riffs that is also wonderful, and I like to play his stuff when in a happy mood...

@Dave Train: R.I.P. Chuck loooooooool
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
26.10.2007 - 17:21
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I wouldn't say that Chuck failed to write memorable riffs necessarily...he wrote some pretty addictive passages...they both succeeded in that department...personally, Death riffs come to mind a lot quicker than Megadeth riffs...
02.11.2007 - 01:54
Lord TJ
Written by Guest on 26.10.2007 at 17:21

Death riffs come to mind a lot quicker than Megadeth riffs...

It actually does!

It seems to me they both seem equal to people looking by the votes. Im actually surprised!
----

04.11.2007 - 00:44
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Most retarded imaginable thread....Mustaine doesn't cut it at all on guitar, all he does is play the same blues licks over and over again and any accomplished guitarist knows he sucks. Why do you think they had Marty Friedman? Marty Friedman is an incredible guitarist, so recruiting him is what swayed the scale as far as guitar goes and made them alot more famous. If you ever hear a good guitar break in a Megadeth song, its Marty. If you ever hear a crappy, pointless, embarrising mass of crunchy notes in the middle of a song, its Dave.

Chuck on the other hand is a good guitarist. However he's still not as good as people think...lots of the lead guitar parts on his records were not even him.
04.11.2007 - 05:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
I think other than Crystal Mountain, I havnt heard a single Death song with riffs that I can remember, and as previously discussed on other threads, I was tricked into buying 3 or 4 Death albums, all of which bored me to tears even after giving them a number of plays through each. Ive never bought a really disapointing Megadeth album, maybe "So Far, So Good...So What!?" to an extent but even that had a few good tracks and great solos. Death is mind bogglingly overrated.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.11.2007 - 06:59
Lord TJ
Written by Guest on 04.11.2007 at 00:44

Most retarded imaginable thread....Mustaine doesn't cut it at all on guitar, all he does is play the same blues licks over and over again and any accomplished guitarist knows he sucks. Why do you think they had Marty Friedman? Marty Friedman is an incredible guitarist, so recruiting him is what swayed the scale as far as guitar goes and made them alot more famous. If you ever hear a good guitar break in a Megadeth song, its Marty. If you ever hear a crappy, pointless, embarrising mass of crunchy notes in the middle of a song, its Dave.

Chuck on the other hand is a good guitarist. However he's still not as good as people think...lots of the lead guitar parts on his records were not even him.

Ok, use common sense other than your opinion. If Dave Mustaine sucked, he wouldn't be as famous as he is seeing how every musician would think the same as you do. if I had a band, even if I was the worst or the best guitarist in the world, I would still accept Marty no doubt.

Do you have a source please?
----

04.11.2007 - 16:14
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Written by Lord TJ on 04.11.2007 at 06:59

Ok, use common sense other than your opinion. If Dave Mustaine sucked, he wouldn't be as famous as he is seeing how every musician would think the same as you do. if I had a band, even if I was the worst or the best guitarist in the world, I would still accept Marty no doubt.

Do you have a source please?

Ok, so you're saying that just because Dave is famous that means he's a great guitarist? ROFL are you retarded? Lol I'm suprised you didn't bring up a VALID point, like the fact that Metallica recruited Dave after hearing his warm up and didn't even give him a chance to audition....geez, what would I say about that? Lol look at this I'm doing YOUR arguing for you.

Oh and as for the Chuck comment, yes I have a source: Chuck Shuldiner. He admitted it on an interview I saw.