Metal Storm logo
Chuck Schuldiner VS Dave Mustaine

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 15.10.2007 - 21:51
In a conversation with a friend who used to be obsessed with Megadeth, he was saying how Chuck could kick Dave's ass in a guitar battle. I have heard both their work, I honestly think that both are capable of playing eachothers work within their skill levels.

Poll

Who is more skillful at the guitar back before Chuck died?

Chuck Schuldiner
Dave Mustaine

Total votes: 299
04.11.2007 - 17:21
Lord TJ

Written by Guest on 04.11.2007 at 16:14

Ok, so you're saying that just because Dave is famous that means he's a great guitarist? ROFL are you retarded? Lol I'm suprised you didn't bring up a VALID point, like the fact that Metallica recruited Dave after hearing his warm up and didn't even give him a chance to audition....geez, what would I say about that? Lol look at this I'm doing YOUR arguing for you.

Well arent you just a ray of sunshine thinking your arguing for me?

No, im not saying because he's famous that means hes good, im saying that if your thoughts on Dave were factual, he would not be as famous as he is. I think he is pretty skillful, and your the only one that walked in this thread saying he sucks, now what does this tell you about your opinion? Its telling you that everyone has different tastes.

Oh and as for the Chuck comment, yes I have a source: Chuck Shuldiner. He admitted it on an interview I saw.

That is not a source. Link me to this interview you saw. That would be a source.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
04.11.2007 - 17:28
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Written by Lord TJ on 04.11.2007 at 17:21

Ok, so you're saying that just because Dave is famous that means he's a great guitarist? ROFL are you retarded? Lol I'm suprised you didn't bring up a VALID point, like the fact that Metallica recruited Dave after hearing his warm up and didn't even give him a chance to audition....geez, what would I say about that? Lol look at this I'm doing YOUR arguing for you.

Well arent you just a ray of sunshine thinking your arguing for me?

No, im not saying because he's famous that means hes good, im saying that if your thoughts on Dave were factual, he would not be as famous as he is. I think he is pretty skillful, and your the only one that walked in this thread saying he sucks, now what does this tell you about your opinion? Its telling you that everyone has different tastes.

Oh and as for the Chuck comment, yes I have a source: Chuck Shuldiner. He admitted it on an interview I saw.

That is not a source. Link me to this interview you saw. That would be a source.

Ok, I'm not understanding you, you said that because he's famous that means he's good. I questioned you if that's what you were saying, and you said "no", only to say it again. Ok, with that settled, George Harrison was famous (even more so), and he was an absolutely shitty guitarist (even more so!). What do you have to say about that, eh?

And I did not see this video on the internet. Metal isn't mouse clicks, bro. I saw it on a rare documentary I was watching with a friend a couple of years ago....mainly on german thrash...most of it was in subtitles, but they did an interview with Chuck. As far as I know its not even on the web.
04.11.2007 - 17:53
Lord TJ

Written by Guest on 04.11.2007 at 17:28

Ok, I'm not understanding you, you said that because he's famous that means he's good. I questioned you if that's what you were saying, and you said "no", only to say it again. Ok, with that settled, George Harrison was famous (even more so), and he was an absolutely shitty guitarist (even more so!). What do you have to say about that, eh?

And I did not see this video on the internet. Metal isn't mouse clicks, bro. I saw it on a rare documentary I was watching with a friend a couple of years ago....mainly on german thrash...most of it was in subtitles, but they did an interview with Chuck. As far as I know its not even on the web.

First off, never once did I directly say that because he is famous that he is good. Here, let me quote myself again incase you misread something.

Second, im a huge Death fan, and this is the first time I have ever heard that Chuck does not to his own work on albums. I find this incredibly hard to believe, seeing how Chuck was the heart of the band. If this was supposably rare, it would be somewhere on the net and I would of heard or known about it before.

Ok, with that settled, George Harrison was famous (even more so), and he was an absolutely shitty guitarist (even more so!). What do you have to say about that, eh?

He was in an early rock band, so of coarse his guitar work wasn't going to be as skillful compared to metal. He has nothing to do with this topic anyway.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

04.11.2007 - 18:22
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Written by Lord TJ on 04.11.2007 at 17:53

First off, never once did I directly say that because he is famous that he is good. Here, let me quote myself again incase you misread something.

Second, im a huge Death fan, and this is the first time I have ever heard that Chuck does not to his own work on albums. I find this incredibly hard to believe, seeing how Chuck was the heart of the band. If this was supposably rare, it would be somewhere on the net and I would of heard or known about it before.

Ok, with that settled, George Harrison was famous (even more so), and he was an absolutely shitty guitarist (even more so!). What do you have to say about that, eh?

He was in an early rock band, so of coarse his guitar work wasn't going to be as skillful compared to metal. He has nothing to do with this topic anyway.

Ok, lets calm down, drink and be merry. Lol I just felt like saying that....I said that Chuck did not do ALL of his own guitar work, some of it is him, so don't twist my words, kid.

Oh yes and death fanboys always find anything against Chuck hard to believe...lol did you know that he was kind of a jerk in alot of ways? He was apparently very hard to work with, and changed band members as if they were his underwear. (watch him totally freak out and start asking for sources on that, fuggin' noobs always think everything related to metal is on the damn computer)
04.11.2007 - 18:35
Lord TJ

Written by Guest on 04.11.2007 at 18:22

Ok, lets calm down, drink and be merry. Lol I just felt like saying that....I said that Chuck did not do ALL of his own guitar work, some of it is him, so don't twist my words, kid.

Oh yes and death fanboys always find anything against Chuck hard to believe...lol did you know that he was kind of a jerk in alot of ways? He was apparently very hard to work with, and changed band members as if they were his underwear. (watch him totally freak out and start asking for sources on that, fuggin' noobs always think everything related to metal is on the damn computer)

I find it hard to believe because I never heard anything like that before ever, and the only thing you have to back yourself up with is "it was a rare documentary on TV". Can you honestly blame me?

I don't know why you take "everything related to metal is on the computer" to the extreme, the internet holds a ton of information, good and bad.

Now about Chuck changing members like underwear I can beleive, seeing the list of former members is enough to see to beleive.
----

04.11.2007 - 18:44
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Written by Lord TJ on 04.11.2007 at 18:35

Written by Guest on 04.11.2007 at 18:22

I find it hard to believe because I never heard anything like that before ever, and the only thing you have to back yourself up with is "it was a rare documentary on TV". Can you honestly blame me?

I don't know why you take "everything related to metal is on the computer" to the extreme, the internet holds a ton of information, good and bad.

Now about Chuck changing members like underwear I can beleive, seeing the list of former members is enough to see to beleive.

There's nothing really wrong with being a Death fanboy I guess, it just means you are not really a death metal fan.....and death metal fans (like myself) get very irritated when Chuck-worshippers start preaching their shit all over the place.

I used to like Death back when I was new to metal. I liked them for a while, so I understand. Chuck was my god for like the first two years I listened to metal. It happens to alot of people....but its something you're supposed to grow out of. In saying that I am referring to the later stuff mainly...I look at SBG and Leprosy as decent and influential albums still.

In regard to the intrawebzzz.....by no means can you obtain a fully correct and unique arsenal of information through mouse clicks....people are stupid as shit and they post their nonsense all over the place.

Let us stop this bickering...before the mods get on us lol
04.11.2007 - 18:55
Lord TJ

True you cant get 100% correct information from the web, but its the largest source of information I get on metal, so I compare what I read. Im also a fan of Death Metal, I just started thinking about it but I don't know why of all bands I have taken a huge interest in Death. But yea, the mods wont get us because we arent breaking any rules but im tired of arguing.
----

04.11.2007 - 19:52
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Aite then. Well, I guess I should give Chuck his due...after all he was talented and stuff, and as I said I used to love him, in a strictly heterosexual way, of course...
31.01.2008 - 01:50
Bow To Cheese!!!
Account deleted
I think Mustaine's one of the best (if not the best) thrash guitarests ever, so skill wise i'd choose him. But then Chuck's the better composer, i mean he's the guy that wrote Death's music and they're argueably the most influential/best death metal band of all time.
Really close, but overall I choose Chuck Schuldiner, may he rest in piece.
31.01.2008 - 01:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 31.01.2008 at 01:50

I think Mustaine's one of the best (if not the best) thrash guitarests ever, so skill wise i'd choose him. But then Chuck's the better composer, i mean he's the guy that wrote Death's music and they're argueably the most influential/best death metal band of all time.

composer dont know about music(Im not mussician cant say0 but he was better lyricist how Dave
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.01.2008 - 02:12
Bow To Cheese!!!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 31.01.2008 at 01:55

composer dont know about music(Im not mussician cant say0 but he was better lyricist how Dave

Yeah I guess you're right, I should've phrased that differently. By "better composer" I ment he was, in a way more revolutionary, because of how Death were pioneers in Death Metal and all. Not that Dave Mustaine's guitar work wasn't influential but IMO Death's work had more of an impact.
31.01.2008 - 05:26
Harmonic
Account deleted

The poll specifically asks who was more skillful at the guitar - there's nothing said about composition. I'm no musician so I'm probably not the best judge of this sort of thing, but Rust in Peace swings the vote for me. It's got to be Mustaine. (And I like Death better than Megadeth, so there's definitely no bias on my part.)
31.01.2008 - 07:13
Stigma
Account deleted
Though I think that both of them are really good guitar players, I have to go with Chuck here. I don't know much about guitar techniques, so I'm basing my vote on what I hear, and Death's riffs just happen to sound more technical (and greater, though it's not the same thing) to me.
31.01.2008 - 09:45
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 31.01.2008 at 05:26

The poll specifically asks who was more skillful at the guitar - there's nothing said about composition. I'm no musician so I'm probably not the best judge of this sort of thing, but Rust in Peace swings the vote for me. It's got to be Mustaine. (And I like Death better than Megadeth, so there's definitely no bias on my part.)

You do know Friedman's presence was stronger on Rust In Peace, right? Mustaine's guitar skills are more transparent on the albums prior to Rust In Peace, so you're really saying "I vote Mustaine because of Friedman's guitar skills"
31.01.2008 - 15:39
6hell6fire6

chuck is simply the BEST
31.01.2008 - 15:39
6hell6fire6

chuck is simply the BEST
31.01.2008 - 15:49
Lord TJ

Written by 6hell6fire6 on 31.01.2008 at 15:39

chuck is simply the BEST

Ok but don't you have something to back up your statement? Hence the word conversation.
----

31.01.2008 - 16:01
6hell6fire6

Written by Lord TJ on 31.01.2008 at 15:49

Written by 6hell6fire6 on 31.01.2008 at 15:39

chuck is simply the BEST

Ok but don't you have something to back up your statement? Hence the word conversation.

yeah it was so directly! I can't ignore Dave Mustaine skill but chuck is deity for me. he is much more than a guitarist or musician for me
31.01.2008 - 18:32
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 31.01.2008 at 09:45

Written by Guest on 31.01.2008 at 05:26

You do know Friedman's presence was stronger on Rust In Peace, right? Mustaine's guitar skills are more transparent on the albums prior to Rust In Peace, so you're really saying "I vote Mustaine because of Friedman's guitar skills"

Oops.
01.02.2008 - 18:39
riffmeister
Account deleted
Dave of course.
01.02.2008 - 19:02
Lord TJ

Written by Guest on 01.02.2008 at 18:39

Dave of course.

Explanation of why please?
----

13.02.2008 - 16:00
riffmeister
Account deleted
Written by Lord TJ on 01.02.2008 at 19:02

Dave of course.

because he created thrash metal.
13.02.2008 - 16:09
Lord TJ

Written by Guest on 13.02.2008 at 16:00

Dave of course.

Incorrect
----

13.02.2008 - 16:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 13.02.2008 at 16:00

Dave of course.

Ehh... no he didn't...
----
14.02.2008 - 10:04
m3t4lh34d

Many things are to be taken into account when comparing guitarists. If this thread had asked who the most technically accomplished and talented guitarist was between the two, I would say Chuck.

But it didn't.

Dave.
16.02.2008 - 05:42
ASiema113

Definatly Chuck, Dave is good but being teamed up w/ such talented guitarists as Chris Poland and Marty Friedman I'm not suprised he gained some skill. But after he kicked out his members and unlearned everything after his "arm injury" I have lost respect for him. But even w/that aside I would've voted for Chuck anyway. Like I said Dave is good but Chuck is good all on his own. Or should I say was...
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
16.02.2008 - 14:30
Tod_Engel

It's quite pointless to compare guitarists. Both of 'em have their pros and cons. Dave Mustaine is influential thrash guitarist, but Chuck death metal guitarist. I like Dave's lead work, but all of the music in Megadeth isn't written by him. Marty Friedman and Chris Poland are again two very good guitarists and might top Mustaine at some points. On the other hand Schuldiner's music is very nice, it has more soul than Mustaine's, escpecially in solos. But still I love Megadeth's music more, so my vote goes to D. Mustaine.
19.02.2008 - 20:15
Tencho

Chuck, a great loss for the humanity... I surprise you.
Dave is a great guitarist, but I choose chuck
19.02.2008 - 21:03
Lord TJ

Written by Tencho on 19.02.2008 at 20:15

Chuck, a great loss for the humanity... I surprise you.
Dave is a great guitarist, but I choose chuck

So....you choose Chuck because he died or what?
----

19.02.2008 - 23:21
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I like Death and Megadeth, later and earlier respectively, so I thought that my knowledge of their work would make it easy to compare and decide.
But, after reading the current posts I have learned the fact that Marty Friedman had a strong influence on the material on Rust In Peace (which should have been obvious, Cacophony!!!) and the unsourced statement that Chuck may not have written most of the lead guitar parts for Death. This alerted me to the fact that I have no basis for judgement if I don't even know who wrote this and who is playing what guitar parts when.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmEHdC0Bw6k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5LRUCPl_14

Based on sheer live guitar playing it is obvious that they play different styles, so comparison is redundant, my decision would be biased towards the more technical of the two.