Metal Storm logo
Chuck Schuldiner VS Dave Mustaine

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 15.10.2007 - 21:51
In a conversation with a friend who used to be obsessed with Megadeth, he was saying how Chuck could kick Dave's ass in a guitar battle. I have heard both their work, I honestly think that both are capable of playing eachothers work within their skill levels.

Poll

Who is more skillful at the guitar back before Chuck died?

Chuck Schuldiner
Dave Mustaine

Total votes: 299
07.01.2009 - 22:04
Justice

Written by Guest on 01.10.2008 at 11:33

Dave Mustain without Doubt. I liked the question! BEFORE CHUCK DIED!!! casue I think if he wasnt dead now dave had a lot more votes than him.

I agree with you
I think dave is a better guitarist
07.01.2009 - 22:46
Hamird
Lieutenant
Well, it's a little bit lame and of course unfair to say Chuck is dead so he wins the poll. If it was a "Santolla vs Chuck" or "Owen vs Chuck" or other alive guitarists who are really better than him, and then Chuck would win, they your words were true.. But Schuldiner wins this poll just because he is much better than Dave.. As I said before, because I heard The Sound Of Perseverance from Chuck which Mustaine has never done such a great playing in my opinion.
I'm fan of non of them, but I respect both of them, but the winning of Chuck over Dave Mustaine is not because of Chuck's death.. I he was alive I would say the same word that I'm saying right now...
08.01.2009 - 18:28
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 07.01.2009 at 22:46

Well, it's a little bit lame and of course unfair to say Chuck is dead so he wins the poll. If it was a "Santolla vs Chuck" or"Owen vs Chuck" "Owen vs Chuck" or other alive guitarists who are really better than him, and then Chuck would win, they your words were true..

Im a Volunteer to open such polls, and I bet that chuck will win.
the other thing is that someone like jack owen is not better than Dave Mustaine
08.01.2009 - 18:32
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 08.01.2009 at 18:28

Well, it's a little bit lame and of course unfair to say Chuck is dead so he wins the poll. If it was a "Santolla vs Chuck" or"Owen vs Chuck" "Owen vs Chuck" or other alive guitarists who are really better than him, and then Chuck would win, they your words were true..

I know he wins them too. But in those poll he wins because of the reason you said.. Because he's dead and more famous, although in my opinion Santolla is a better guitarist and same for Owen.. He is more famous comparing to Santolla and Owen..
But here in this poll, the reason of winning of Chuck in my opinion has nothing to do with his death business.. He's better than Mustaine, dead or alive.. That's what I said.
09.01.2009 - 08:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Hamird on 08.01.2009 at 18:32

Written by Guest on 08.01.2009 at 18:28

I know he wins them too. But in those poll he wins because of the reason you said.. Because he's dead and more famous, although in my opinion Santolla is a better guitarist and same for Owen.. He is more famous comparing to Santolla and Owen..
But here in this poll, the reason of winning of Chuck in my opinion has nothing to do with his death business.. He's better than Mustaine, dead or alive.. That's what I said.

I disagree with you on all points here. IMO chuck is better than Owen and Santolla but Mustaine is better than Chuck.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2009 - 13:40
ToMegaTherion

This was an interesting decision to make and a difficult vote to cast. Upon first glimpse my first choice was Chuck; however, upon closer evaluation I couldn't vote past Dave Mustaine. Meaning no disrespect to Chuck, but these two guys were very closely matched in technique, solo's, riff's timing, ect. But the last thing influencing my vote was the experience of Dave Mustaine and the fact that he has played a more vast range of styles and genre's and on that basis alone I vote for Dave. Unfortunately Chuck never ventured far from Death Metal, nor have I heard of anything else he did that was vastly different from Death. The sad part is we will never know just how good Chuck really could have been, because he certainly had a much tallent as the best in the world.
08.05.2009 - 18:46
symbolic727

I would without a question have to pic Chuck. From Scream Bloody Gore to Control denied he made more vast stides than Dave ever did not saying Dave is bad in any means but Chuck has just produced better everything in my opnion compared to Dave.
11.08.2009 - 04:49
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by symbolic727 on 08.05.2009 at 18:46

I would without a question have to pic Chuck. From Scream Bloody Gore to Control denied he made more vast stides than Dave ever did not saying Dave is bad in any means but Chuck has just produced better everything in my opnion compared to Dave.

Definitely, and in reference to an even earlier quote, I think that Chuck could beat Dave even now.
26.11.2009 - 17:14
SatyriconChick

Chuck gets my vote. His riffing was one of the best.
31.12.2009 - 18:58
Headbanger21

I am a huge fan of God Dave Mustaine, but i have to admit that Chuck Schuldiner was a little better.I mean,the guy created death metal!!!!!
but,again I have to admit,that the level of their capability,or talent,is still anreachable by anyone.
too bad though that there wasn't a chance for them to co-operate...
24.01.2010 - 02:30
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
I voted for Dave Mustaine.

As much as I do like Chuck Schuldiner I cannot deny that Mustaine is better. They both have different styles and they both have written really good songs that easily get stuck in my head I have to say that I'm more into Mustaine's riffs than Chuck's. I also think people do overrate Chuck a lot. I mean he was good, but I have heard better. And this is coming from a Death fan.
24.01.2010 - 02:44
thewall30

I pick Dave Mustaine, but I got all the respect for Chuck, their probably two of the best Metal guitarist of all time...
----
28.02.2010 - 05:38
Thrasher Hungary

Written by symbolic727 on 08.05.2009 at 18:46

I agree with you! Dave's awesome, but Chuck is exciting! My favourite guitarist along with Rob Cavestany (Death Angel), Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth), and Kirk Hammett.
You meant 'vast studies', don't you?
I don't play guitar, but I think Chuck was more technical than Dave, not the most technical ever, but one of the best guitar players, I think!
28.02.2010 - 17:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Both are great guitarists, but even better songwriters. My vote goes to Chuck, because I slightly prefer his lead style. Also, he seemed like a really nice guy, whereas Dave is a total asshole.
27.07.2010 - 09:53
DrM
DreaMutilated
I'm choosing to avoid voting at this time since I can't choose neither one over the other.
My top 3 guitarists are Chuck Schuldiner, Dave Mustaine and John Petrucci (with Joe Satriani and Jason Becker coming in 4th and 5th place respectively), but in no particular order - they each just bring such different things to the game, and in their own way all of them are the best.

There are days I like Petrucci more, days I like Mustaine more, and of course I have those dark days when I need my dose of Chuldiner to feel better, but put simply - I can't make my choice.
27.07.2010 - 11:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hamird on 08.01.2009 at 18:32

Yep. Although some do seem to slightly elevate someone's status when they've died, that doesnt mean that its impossible to answer questions like this in an objective way. At least for some people.

Id have voted for Chuck even if he was still alive. Although I think Dave is also great. I actually think if Chuck had lived, that would strengthen my leanings towards him. Who knows what more awesome music he'd have created by now....
04.08.2010 - 21:13
r4ttlehead

I refuse to vote
im sorry if this doesn't help much
they are both phenomenal guitarists and vocalists at the same time mind you.
06.08.2010 - 15:50
MetalFist
Account deleted
I respect them both, but im gonna go with Dave Mustaine, songs like Poison was the cure, which the riff is basically a solo, is just amazing, especially since he sings whilst playing it. I know Chuck sings, and its close, it's like this, Dave: 10/10, Chuck: 9.9/10. Gah so difficult.
18.08.2010 - 12:30
Wayakin

Hmm, like them both, but I will go with Chuck, though maybe I just have heard more of him than of Mustain
18.08.2010 - 13:27
JD
Account deleted
If this is the question "Who is more skillful at the guitar back before Chuck died?" am going with Mustain.
21.10.2010 - 02:12
Klintopher

Ohh, that's hard! Well I love Chuck and Death! But I have to go with Dave. He is a better guitarist than Chuch was, but barely haha. They are both amazing guitar players!
10.11.2010 - 13:02
Metalbound7

Dead Legend VS Living Legend, The Dead one will always be the favorite! I Love both Death and Megadeth, but my vote goes to Mustaine. If Mustaine had Died after Rust in Peace, he would be much more respected than now. That's my opinion. But im glad he's alive and well!
03.04.2011 - 23:18
blacktooth85

Chucky
08.05.2011 - 00:42
TrollandDie

Chuck: He was a better songwriter and guitarist in my opinion.
I think Dave has a lot of awesome, colourful leads and riffs but overall I'll always feel that Chuck is better-his riffs could be crushing, emotional and melancholic while his solos are something that would stay in your memory for a long time .

So that's my opinion. I love both of them and I always wonder what Dave thinks of Chuck and other death metal musicians.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
08.05.2011 - 03:55
Yasmine

Chuck was the more technically skilled guitarist, no question. Listen to Hanger 18 and then to Living Monstrosity, or Flesh and The Power it Holds. No contest between SKILL. Has nothing to do with alive vs dead. That is quite an odd false correlation.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
08.05.2011 - 03:58
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Well, I like Dave's solos more than Chuck's so there ya go.
08.05.2011 - 04:03
Yasmine

Who is more skillful at the guitar back before Chuck died

Mr.Void, tsk tsk doesn't say who you like better, objectively there would be no votes for Dave.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
08.05.2011 - 04:26
Doom Trooper

I am a huge Death and Chuck Schuldiner fan but I think with out a shadow of a doubt Dave Mustaine is definitely more skilled. In both rhythm and lead/soloing. Dave writes in a much more complex manner. I think its no contest really. Chuck evolved into the great musician he is known for being through out his career while Mustaine was already at that skill level when he was writing Kill Em All.
08.05.2011 - 04:57
Yasmine

Written by Doom Trooper on 08.05.2011 at 04:26

I am a huge Death and Chuck Schuldiner fan but I think with out a shadow of a doubt Dave Mustaine is definitely more skilled. In both rhythm and lead/soloing. Dave writes a much more complex manner. I think its no contest really. Chuck evolved into the great musician he is known for being through out his career while Mustaine was already at that skill level when he was writing Kill Em All.

Care to show me how? Dave didn't do anything on that album that Chuck couldn't do right off the bat, that's silly as shit. This is some fanboy shit right here. Dave barely double picks any of his solos, just mid pace hammer on and pull offs, not at all in the same league, let alone tapping, sweeping at the same tempos as Chuck.

You actually think that .....

E------------------------------9--13---9-| in 8th notes @ 160bpms is some how greater than
B-----------------------9--12-------------|
G-------------------10--------------------|
D-----------9--11------------------------|
A---8--11----------------
E-9---------------------

E---------------2221222112--------------------------------------| in 16ths at 180bpm REally? No serious? And this is not cherry picking this is a constant.
B-2016201613--------------2220192019------------------------| (Hoping you even understand and play what I've posted).
G-------------------------------------------211918---------1819-| Forgive me man I really did have to. lol
D-----------------------------------------------------212021------|
A
E
----
08.05.2011 - 05:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think it's hard to compare guitarists from different genres...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."