03. He Breaks His Fast Upon A Feast Of Falsehood
04. The Carrion Master
05. Primaeval Battle, Theocratic Rule
06. Blackened Theological Tome
07. Sages Have Written Of Your Kingdom
08. In The Wake Of Chariots
09. Reverence Unto He Who Is The Vehement One
10. That Megalith Whose Shadow Is Cast Beyond Time Itself

The theory of evolution apparently is also applicable to Metal, when a band changes as greatly as The Disciples Of Zoldon there's nothing else I could think of, a band that used to deliver a darky and lethargic dose of Doom mixed with Death overtones now became relentlessly violent and aggressive, with blast-beats and blatant brutality The Disciples... proves that a dark wave couldn't be more intense...

The album comes wrapped with really interesting ideas, some of them don't fully develop due to a couple of problems with the production (mainly the audio sounding a little dry), but most of the themes build up from a regular Deathy base to a big musical explosion adding some melodies and catchy riffing in between. While the music keeps haunting the listener with bravery there are still a lot of cold atmospheres and doomy approaches that balance the album a lot, creating a very interesting experience in the end.

What I totally dig is the artwork, that weird little monster is really scary, creepy and somehow depressive, like a bizarre Frankenstein from hell, it incredibly fits with the overall concept and it makes the album just way better to enjoy...seriously. Money problems apparently surround the band unfortunately, while the general artwork is really fun to watch there's no booklet and of course there are no lyrics to read, that's always a turn-off but talking about a self-produced album I guess is not that bad...then, believe it or not, CD-R's tend to have a less intense wall of sound-quality, so maybe the production was great at the master, but when you put this CD in a PA it sounds canned and partially drowned.

In the end this is a good effort by The Disciples Of Zoldon I'll be playing it often and I'll be waiting for a record with a human drummer and with the Season Of Mist or Southern Lord label in the back. Congratulations to the band and good luck!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 6

Written by Herzebeth | 16.10.2007

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 83 users
16.10.2007 - 02:54
iaberis
Advice Troll
Wow! Sounds a lot better than their previous album...
----
Bitch! Please
16.10.2007 - 03:21
Enkaida
Account deleted
Thanks for the review Herzebeth!

Glad you liked it more than the last album. Don't forget that it's just a one man band solo project and not a full band. The reason why there were no lyrics is because they weren't my best work this time (but you can read them on my website www.solvere.co.nz/doz). It only costs $10 (NZ) to order this album via paypal. It's free for download at the site I mentioned. And yes i'm hoping to get real drums on the next album (no promises though).

Thanks again!

-Luke
16.10.2007 - 03:54
..ExoTeaR..

Cool to see DOZ on the storm Made my day < cool review

"Zoldon is the king of heavy metal"
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
16.10.2007 - 06:53
Rating: 7
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Ah, I haven't been able to stop grinning for over half an hour
I'm surprised you didn't mention any stand-out tracks though. 9 is my very favourite followed by 8, 3 & 10
8.5/10
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
16.10.2007 - 14:00
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
It'd be cool if other bandmembers could comment on the reviews MS users write for their albums . It gives more information.
16.10.2007 - 15:40
Enkaida
Account deleted
Yeah it would! But people in bands are too busy out touring and drinking, etc. Not many of them waste all their time on metal review websites. Also, it's usually their labels that send out copies for review, and do all the promotion.
16.10.2007 - 20:04
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2007 at 15:40

Yeah it would! But people in bands are too busy out touring and drinking, etc. Not many of them waste all their time on metal review websites. Also, it's usually their labels that send out copies for review, and do all the promotion.

Indeed. I know they're busy, unlike me . But I just wish they could . (Thank you for the request by the way ).
16.10.2007 - 22:56
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I bought it, and it rules.
17.10.2007 - 01:43
Fane

Awesome job Luke! This is the best album from Zoldon imo. Well I never get used to that hellish fast drumplaying but like said we may hear real drums on next album. It's good to see that people buy these albums even if they are free and really they wont cost much. Here some albums cost like 15? - 28? which I think is totally rip off while thinking how much bands get from them >__> Anyway lets hope you can keep going and find a drummer
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
17.10.2007 - 02:05
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2007 at 20:04

Written by Guest on 16.10.2007 at 15:40

Indeed. I know they're busy, unlike me . But I just wish they could . (Thank you for the request by the way ).

Uhhh, where's the request?
17.10.2007 - 03:30
Enkaida
Account deleted
I think she meant on myspace... myspace.com/thedisciplesofzoldon
17.10.2007 - 08:18
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.10.2007 at 03:30

@Opium, yes my dear .

@Enkaida: I downloaded the album. I haven't listened to it yet though . I'll comment about it as soon as I do of course.
But I'll order a copy of the CD. 10$ isn't expensive. And it might help you.
But... When I think of it.. you'll actually have to pay pay more for the postage than I'd pay you . I don't know if it's still fair.
17.10.2007 - 09:52
Rating: 9
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
haha fucking mean.
great to see DOZ on metalstorm!!
17.10.2007 - 10:48
Enkaida
Account deleted
Nope $10 includes the postage for anywhere in the world. I'm not out to make profits on this, only to get back a little bit of the money I spent on getting the CD's made. As for the money spent on the recording, i'll never see that again! I paid for it myself as i'm not on a label. At least I was able to do everything the way I wanted of course!

Thanks for your interest in it.
17.10.2007 - 15:58
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.10.2007 at 10:48

Nope $10 includes the postage for anywhere in the world. I'm not out to make profits on this, only to get back a little bit of the money I spent on getting the CD's made. As for the money spent on the recording, i'll never see that again! I paid for it myself as i'm not on a label. At least I was able to do everything the way I wanted of course!

Thanks for your interest in it.

I have just listened to the entire album, and, considering you did EVERYTHING on your own, I'd give it an 8. As said before by other people, a human drummer would be better (but, you explained why you didn't have any, I was just mentioning it.)

And if those $10 are enough to help you, then I'll order a copy right now. Don't thank me, it's just worth everyone's interest .
17.10.2007 - 20:21
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.10.2007 at 03:30

Ah, cheers for clearing that up!
18.10.2007 - 06:16
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Wow, looks better than the previous, I'll be checking it out ASAP.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.10.2007 - 15:17
Hyvaarin

Singer - Red Ranger
Lead Guitarist - White/Green Ranger
Bassist - Yellow Ranger
Drummer - Blue Ranger
Keys - Pink Ranger
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
19.10.2007 - 15:44
Enkaida
Account deleted
Hahaha xD
03.05.2008 - 19:28
FOOCK Nam

I just got a crush on this album.
25.02.2009 - 14:56
dancingdecember

This album is fucking amazing.I never thought i would like it this much.It rules and then it rules even more lol.I'm gonna notify my friends of this album for sure.Congratz and keep doing what you are doing.
----
i'm super, thanks for asking

Hits total: 4561 | This month: 6